Snowdon is a dummy

BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 08:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
My my you are playing games as your position had been clear from the beginning that individual such as Snowdon have no right to inform the American people and the congress for that matter of what had been happening behind their backs and in their name.

You are the one who had placed Hitler and Arnold name beside Snowdon not me.

As I said before I find that amusing as Hitler was the legal head of the German government and Arnold was taking the side of the "legal" government of the colonies at the time.
JPB

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 08:51 am
Quote:
An independent federal privacy watchdog has concluded that the National Security Agency’s program to collect bulk phone call records has provided only “minimal” benefits in counterterrorism efforts, is illegal and should be shut down.

The findings are laid out in a 238-page report, scheduled for release by Thursday and obtained by The New York Times, that represent the first major public statement by the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board, which Congress made an independent agency in 2007 and only recently became fully operational. [...]

The Obama administration has portrayed the bulk collection program as useful and lawful while at the same time acknowledging concerns about privacy and potential abuse. But in its report, the board lays out what may be the most detailed critique of the government’s once-secret legal theory behind the program: that a law known as Section 215 of the Patriot Act, which allows the F.B.I. to obtain business records deemed “relevant” to an investigation, can be legitimately interpreted as authorizing the N.S.A. to collect all calling records in the country.

The program “lacks a viable legal foundation under Section 215, implicates constitutional concerns under the First and Fourth Amendments, raises serious threats to privacy and civil liberties as a policy matter, and has shown only limited value,” the report said. “As a result, the board recommends that the government end the program.”More
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:48 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

My my you are playing games as your position had been clear from the beginning that individual such as Snowdon have no right to inform the American people and the congress for that matter of what had been happening behind their backs and in their name.

I defy you to find anywhere where I said that...or anything close to it.

I have said that Snowden is accused of stealing classified government documents and releasing them to unauthorized people...and I think he should be given a fair trial on those charges.

Stop trying to put words into my mouth, Bill. You are nearly capable of doing so reasonably.

Quote:
You are the one who had placed Hitler and Arnold name beside Snowdon not me.

The guy's name is Snowden. Since he is a hero of yours...spell it right. And no...you didn't. You want to call him a hero. I want him to get a fair trial.

Quote:
As I said before I find that amusing as Hitler was the legal head of the German government and Arnold was taking the side of the "legal" government of the colonies at the time.

I am delighted you find it amusing...but I do not understand what you find amusing about that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:03 pm
@JPB,
I'd called that "independent federal privacy watchdog" in my link just a surveillance watchdog.

So far I've understood that two members of the PCLOB, former Bush administration Justice Department lawyers Rachel Brand and Elisebeth Collins Cook, defended the bulk phone sweeps and said they were too valuable to shut down.
And House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich. is very disappointed that "the Board decided to step well beyond their policy and oversight role and conducted a legal review of a program that has been thoroughly reviewed".
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I have said that Snowden is accused of stealing classified government documents and releasing them to unauthorized people...and I think he should be given a fair trial on those charges.

Many respectable people think the accusations unconstitutional and in direct contravention of the Constitution in the sense that the Fathers had for-seen a temporary administration claiming to be acting constitutionally because it was the government of the day.

If the government of the day can over-rule the Constitution then the document is worthless.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Like the people who ran the underground railroad should have been given a "fair" trial in the south before the civil war?

Quote:
I am delighted you find it amusing...but I do not understand what you find amusing about that.

By your logical anyone who would dare to have used his or her own moral judgment and hide Jews from the death camps would had been in the wrong as those rounds up was done in the name of the legal government of Germany at the time.

Hell what was being done to the Jews in those camps was a state secret so anyone who would have reveal those state secrets would hve been doing the same as Snowdon IE revealing state secrets.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:29 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

Like the people who ran the underground railroad should have been given a "fair" trial in the south before the civil war?

We are talking about Edward Snowden...and the accusations made against him. Are you saying you do not want him to get a fair trial?

Quote:
Quote:

By your logical anyone who would dare to have used his or her own moral judgment and hide Jews from the death camps would had been in the wrong as those rounds up was done in the name of the legal government of Germany at the time.

Hell what was being done to the Jews in those camps was a state secret so anyone who would have reveal those state secrets would hve been doing the same as Snowdon IE revealing state secrets.

If you are saying that you find it amusing that I think Snowden deserves a fair trial...I am delighted for you, although I still do not understand the amusement.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:35 pm
As Edward Snowden prepares to hold a live chat via his website to answer questions about his revelations, a group called the Courage Foundation offers people a way to contribute to Snowden’s legal defense.

Report @ DW: Group promotes defense of whistle-blowers
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Snowdon should not get any kind of a trial. He should however be given a damn ticker tape parade instead.

Those that should be given trials are the ones who are in power or was in power that had been lying to the American people and in one case to congress in public testimony.

Those who had been misusing the power to classify documents to carry out unconstitutional programs in secret should indeed be facing fair trials.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:52 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Snowdon should not get any kind of a trial. He should however be given a damn ticker tape parade instead.

Those that should be given trials are the ones who are in power or was in power that had been lying to the American people and in one case to congress in public testimony.

Those who had been misusing the power to classify documents to carry out unconstitutional programs in secret should indeed be facing fair trials.

Well...you can certainly lobby for a ticker tape parade. I doubt you will get very far with it, though.

In any case, I do wish him well in getting the fair trial he deserves.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 02:05 pm
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps3c091f45.jpg
spendius

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 02:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If you are saying that you find it amusing that I think Snowden deserves a fair trial...I am delighted for you, although I still do not understand the amusement.

It's tittering at an old shagged-out has-been who has become confused and inarticulate.

I don't want Snowden to get a fair trial.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 02:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The answer to the first question sums pretty well up what I think

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps69751e8d.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 03:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Frank will have to continue to post about the fair trial ...

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps9050082e.jpg
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 03:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank will have to continue to post about the fair trial ...

Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps9050082e.jpg

Somehow the reasoning seems very flawed here to me.

He doesn't mean he cannot get a fair trial...but rather that he does not want a fair trial...he wants one that will exonerate him despite the fact that he apparently did steal classified documents and release them to unauthorized people.

His defenders here in the US...also fear a fair trial.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 03:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
He doesn't mean he cannot get a fair trial...but rather that he does not want a fair trial...he wants one that will exonerate him despite the fact that he apparently did steal classified documents and release them to unauthorized people.
I don't know him. So I can't guess what he means but only read what he wrote.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 04:00 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
I don't know him. So I can't guess what he means but only read what he wrote.

Got it! Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 04:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

The White House sharply disagreed today with a report from an oversight board that concluded the government’s surveillance program is illegally collecting phone records of Americans and recommended the practice be discontinued.
“We simply disagree with the board’s analysis on the legality of the program,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said.
JPB

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 10:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
shocking
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 11:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
To think Obama can get away with his b.s. is not surprising! He's a lost cause, and I dare say the historians aren't going to be too kind about his attempts to destroy our Constitution. That's a BIGGIE!