Snowdon is a dummy

BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:40 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If the NSA is the only one who knows about a back door, it is unlikely that others will be able to use it.

Well I am glad you are an expert that can claim that as a fact, however a weak random numbers generator for example will weaken any encrypted algorithms by greatly reducing it effected key length as far as attacks are concern by anyone.

Making an attacks many thousands/millions of time easier then it should be for a given key length.

Now that it is known that NSA have likely put such weaknesses in US product security software people will indeed be looking for those back doors with super computers.

Quote:
The main difference is that some of those other governments actually try to steal commercial secrets. So far at least, the US does not.

Nonsense for years there had been claims that NSA have handed over trade secrets of foreign firms to US firms and my bet is as soon as whoever control Snowdon information get around to it we will get the details of them doing so.

Quote:
The only way those forces will win is if we let countries like Germany bully us into not fighting terrorists and not trying to stop Chinese military hackers.

NSA have given a very wonderful gift to Chinese hackers by placing weaknesses in our own security software.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:57 pm
Greenwald said today (via video from Brasil) at the 30th Chaos Communication Congress (30C3) in Hamburg:
A lot more stories will come, and a lot of new documentswill be published.

audio recording
oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 03:44 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
oralloy wrote:
The main difference is that some of those other governments actually try to steal commercial secrets. So far at least, the US does not. We may be forced to change in order to fight back if the world does not wish to play fair with us however.

Nonsense for years there had been claims that NSA have handed over trade secrets of foreign firms to US firms

Those claims are clearly fraudulent.

BillRM wrote:
and my bet is as soon as whoever control Snowdon information get around to it we will get the details of them doing so.

Don't bet money. The only thing they are ever going to uncover is:

a) the NSA tries to learn the intentions of other governments

b) the NSA tries to discover plots by al-Qa'ida and similar terrorists

c) the NSA tries to help private corporations survive the predations of foreign intelligence agencies
oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 03:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Greenwald said today (via video from Brasil) at the 30th Chaos Communication Congress (30C3) in Hamburg:
A lot more stories will come, and a lot of new documentswill be published.

It might be about time for this Greenwald character to stumble next to a malfunctioning elevator door and accidentally fall down the shaft.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 03:48 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Those claims are clearly fraudulent.

LOL
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 06:07 pm
@oralloy,
Another clear admission that the us targets civilians, as if there was ever
any doubt. When you are número UNO terrorist group and band of war
criminals you can expect no less.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 06:25 pm
Quote:

http://bgr.com/2013/08/21/microsoft-windows-8-nsa-back-door/

German IT officials reportedly deem Windows 8 too ‘dangerous’ to use
By Brad Reed on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM Email @bwreedbgr SECURITY
Share on Twitter

The National Security Agency’s snooping practices may be costing American companies a lot of money. German publication Zeit Online has obtained leaked documents that purportedly show that IT experts within the German government believe that Windows 8 contains back doors that the NSA could use to remotely control any computers that have it installed.

The German officials specifically worry about how Windows 8 interacts with Trusted Platform Modules (TPMs) and are concerned that once Windows machines are paired with TPM 2.0 in 2015, they won’t be able to deactivate it on their machines if they don’t want it. Once TPM 2.0 is in place, Zeit says that German researchers fear that there will be “simply no way to tell what exactly Microsoft does to their system through remote updates.” Because of this “loss of control over [the capabilities of] information technology,” the researchers conclude that ”the security-oriented principles of ‘confidentiality’ and ‘integrity’ are no longer achievable” in machines that have TPM 2.0 installed.

Interestingly, the researchers say that they’ll still be able to use Windows 7 securely “until 2020,” so it seems the German government may be using the legacy version of Microsoft’s platform for years to come if it takes up its IT experts’ recommendations.

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:14 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Another clear admission that the us targets civilians, as if there was ever any doubt.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both military targets, bombed at the height of the most brutal war in human history.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 09:16 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
German publication Zeit Online has obtained leaked documents that purportedly show that IT experts within the German government believe that Windows 8 contains back doors that the NSA could use to remotely control any computers that have it installed.

I guess if I were a treacherous nation that was secretly allied with the terrorists, I'd be concerned about being found out also.

Quote:
The German officials specifically worry about how Windows 8 interacts with Trusted Platform Modules (TPMs) and are concerned that once Windows machines are paired with TPM 2.0 in 2015, they won’t be able to deactivate it on their machines if they don’t want it.

Most people don't need anything like a TPM. I refuse to even install the drivers on mine because if my motherboard were ever to go kaput I might never be able to recover the data from my hard drive.

Security to keep hackers from stealing my World of Warcraft password is good. But not when it is so extreme that it risks wiping out my data.

Quote:
Interestingly, the researchers say that they’ll still be able to use Windows 7 securely “until 2020,” so it seems the German government may be using the legacy version of Microsoft’s platform for years to come if it takes up its IT experts’ recommendations.

Windows 8 is a wonder of speed and stability. I encourage all treacherous nations to forgo using it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:20 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Most people don't need anything like a TPM. I refuse to even install the drivers on mine because if my motherboard were ever to go kaput I might never be able to recover the data from my hard drive.

Security to keep hackers from stealing my World of Warcraft password is good. But not when it is so extreme that it risks wiping out my data.

I would suggest using truecrypt a nice open source program that the evil NSA can not placed a back door in.

In fact right now the source code in being completely audit by leading world experts.

footnote the program is what Snowdon with all his inside knowledge of the NSA capabilities is using to keep his hard drives secure.

God is Snowdon a hero to all right thinking men and women.
oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:51 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
oralloy wrote:

I would suggest using truecrypt a nice open source program that the evil NSA can not placed a back door in.

Open source is indeed good proof against back doors, but the NSA is hardly evil. They are the people who protect us from evil.

Right now logging into my World of Warcraft account requires not only my account name and password, but also two-factor authentication that can only be provided by physical possession of the specific key generator that is linked to my account.

Further, any major changes to my World of Warcraft account also require the entry of a code that is texted to my cell phone when the change is attempted.

That has so far been sufficient security to keep hackers out of my account.

BillRM wrote:
God is Snowdon a hero to all right thinking men and women.

All he has done is compromise our nation's security and help terrorists to attack us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:59 pm
@oralloy,
A government cannot "protect us from evil," when they break the guarantees provided citizens in the Constitution. The NSA even lied to congress and the FISA court - under oath. They cannot be trusted.

You may be willing to give up on our Constitutional guarantees, but I'm not one of them.
BillRM

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 11:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You may be willing to give up on our Constitutional guarantees, but I'm not one of them.

I find it amazing that the gentleman care with all his heart about his second amendment rights concerning firearms but not any other parts of the bill of rights.

Going along with the excuse that the terrorist threat is so great that we need to tear up the constitution to deal with it.
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 01:01 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I find it amazing that the gentleman care with all his heart about his second amendment rights concerning firearms but not any other parts of the bill of rights.
Going along with the excuse that the terrorist threat is so great that we need to tear up the constitution to deal with it.

There seems to be some confusion. My position is that there has not been any violation of the Constitution by the NSA.
BillRM

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 01:14 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
There seems to be some confusion. My position is that there has not been any violation of the Constitution by the NSA.

Of course not:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 01:24 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
against unreasonable searches and seizures

It feels like we're repeating positions that have already been stated.

Considering the threat posed by al-Qa'ida, it is reasonable™ to search phone records to see if suspected terrorists are in contact with each other, and who else they might be in contact with.
BillRM

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 09:20 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Considering the threat posed by al-Qa'ida, it is reasonable™ to search phone records to see if suspected terrorists are in contact with each other, and who else they might be in contact with.

Given all the "gun violence" deaths every year many many many times over the deaths cause by the evil terrorists it is hardly unreasonable for the government to seized all private firearms by the same logic.

After all safety is far more important then any part of the bill of rights.

Footnote the tracking of three levels of contacts can mean over a million people had their privacy invaded by such a program.
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:23 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Given all the "gun violence" deaths every year many many many times over the deaths cause by the evil terrorists it is hardly unreasonable for the government to seized all private firearms by the same logic.

That would hardly be reasonable.

And there is nothing in the Second Amendment specifying that it only prohibits unreasonable gun bans.

The First Amendment specifies that it only prohibits unreasonable searches.

BillRM wrote:
After all safety is far more important then any part of the bill of rights.

No one is proposing that the Bill of Rights should be violated. The NSA is in full compliance with both the letter and the spirit of the entire Bill of Rights.
BillRM

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 06:55 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The First Amendment specifies that it only prohibits unreasonable searches.

First of all it is not the first amendment but the fourth amendment and looking at up to a millions people in a three level search of contacts is hardly reasonable nor in having a data base on everyone phones calls in the nation that had not stop one attack is not reasonable either.

Then there is the little matter of some probable cause being needed and that is hardly reach when you are look at due to someone three levels away and a million or so others from you had received a questionable phone call.

Not only is it unreasonable but it is a complete waste of resources. If they had that amount of resources to waste cutting their budget by 80 percents would likely give better resources as then they would need to focus a lot more.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Dec, 2013 07:44 pm
@BillRM,
"Reasonable" is a very subjective word. A dictionary definition for the word is as follows.
Quote:
rea·son·a·ble
ˈrēz(ə)nəbəl/Submit
adjective
(of a person) having sound judgment; fair and sensible.
"no reasonable person could have objected"
synonyms: sensible, rational, logical, fair, fair-minded, just, equitable; More
based on good sense.
"it seems a reasonable enough request"
archaic
(of a person or animal) able to think, understand, or form judgments by a logical process.
"man is by nature reasonable"
as much as is appropriate or fair; moderate.
"a police officer may use reasonable force to gain entry"
synonyms: within reason, practicable, sensible; More

Moderate applies in the case of searches - but with a warrant as established by the laws of this country. Mass data collection is not reasonable by any sense of that word. They have not proven its effectiveness to warrant anything close to "moderate" in their operations.
0 Replies