Snowdon is a dummy

JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I know many would just as soon everyone ignore, JTT, but he posts at me so often, I feel a sense of obligation to show him what I think of what he has to say.

I think my new vomiting emoticon is terrific in getting that message across.

I think, Frank, that most people would think that this would be the way Frank Apisa would want to go.

I write lots of letters to the editor and op ed pieces. I've had a letter published in The New York Times--and I was lucky enough a few years back to get a full page My Turn article in Newsweek. I've had hundreds of letters published in local newspapers--and have had tens of dozens of op ed essays and guest columns published also.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:10 pm
@Mame,
It is.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:11 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Honesty demands that one is honest, Izzy. The UK didn't just send troops. The UK actively involved itself in lies and grand deception in order to involve itself in war crimes and egregious acts of terrorism against sovereign nations.

I've not stated otherwise.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:27 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
I know many would just as soon everyone ignore, JTT, but he posts at me so often, I feel a sense of obligation to show him what I think of what he has to say.

I think my new vomiting emoticon is terrific in getting that message across.

I think, Frank, that most people would think that this would be the way Frank Apisa would want to go.

I write lots of letters to the editor and op ed pieces. I've had a letter published in The New York Times--and I was lucky enough a few years back to get a full page My Turn article in Newsweek. I've had hundreds of letters published in local newspapers--and have had tens of dozens of op ed essays and guest columns published also.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sick/smileys-vomiting.gif
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Well...you are allowed to "believe" whatever you choose to "believe." If you want to think most countries do not spy on other countries...do so. I think you are wrong.

You're being exceptionally disingenuous, Frank. I can't say for sure if it's intentional or congenital.

This "spying" isn't occurring in a vacuum. This spying is directly related to the completely phony US "war on terrorism". It's phony because, as Noam Chomsky notes, it is being led by the biggest terrorist group on the planet, the USA.

Just to give you one example, which, in and of itself, qualifies the US as the biggest terrorist nation on the planet.

Quote:

UN votes 188-3 to condemn US embargo on Cuba
By Julian Pecquet - 11/13/12 03:45 PM ET

The United Nations' General Assembly on Tuesday condemned the U.S. embargo on Cuba for the 21st year in a row by an overwhelming vote of 188-3.
The only countries to vote against the measure were Palau and Israel, both of which get millions of dollars in aid from the United States. The Marshall Islands and Micronesia — which, like Palau, are in a compact of free association with the United States that provides for their defense — abstained.

Asked about the lopsided vote, State Department spokesman Mark Toner said Tuesday the United States stands by its policy despite near-universal international objection, saying it was aimed at “creating better ties” with the Cuban people.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs/americas/267617-un-votes-188-3-to-condemn-us-cuba-embargo#ixzz2YI5pRB4x
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Note the contention made by "State Department spokesman Mark Toner". How does more than half a century of terrorism directed at the government and the people of Cuba represent the US trying to "create better ties" with the Cuban people?

How does repeated attempts to assassinate the leader of a sovereign nation qualify as anything but terrorism?

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Caribbean/Neocolony_StateSiege.html

How does,

In the late 1970s, Cuban Americans in favor of improving relations organized "EI Dialogo," a dialogue between Cubans in the United States and Cubans on the island. Immediately terrorism escalated, including assassinations of leaders of El Dialogo in the US. Omega 7, another Cuban American terrorist group, was not prosecuted for any murders until it made the mistake of killing a Cuban diplomat in New York City in 1980, an assassination that led after a few years to the arrests and convictions of Omega 7 leader Eduardo Arocena and other Omega 7 members on charges that included multiple assassinations, bombings and drug trafficking.

qualify as anything other than terrorism, considering that these groups, not El Dialogo, were organized and funded by Bush 1, when he was with the CIA.

Ibid.

The list of US terrorist activities is endless. I invite you to do your own research, which you, if you were to maintain an open mind, would find highly enlightening.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:39 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
Well...you are allowed to "believe" whatever you choose to "believe." If you want to think most countries do not spy on other countries...do so. I think you are wrong.

You're being exceptionally disingenuous, Frank. I can't say for sure if it's intentional or congenital.

This "spying" isn't occurring in a vacuum. This spying is directly related to the completely phony US "war on terrorism". It's phony because, as Noam Chomsky notes, it is being led by the biggest terrorist group on the planet, the USA.

Just to give you one example, which, in and of itself, qualifies the US as the biggest terrorist nation on the planet.

Quote:

UN votes 188-3 to condemn US embargo on Cuba
By Julian Pecquet - 11/13/12 03:45 PM ET

The United Nations' General Assembly on Tuesday condemned the U.S. embargo on Cuba for the 21st year in a row by an overwhelming vote of 188-3.
The only countries to vote against the measure were Palau and Israel, both of which get millions of dollars in aid from the United States. The Marshall Islands and Micronesia — which, like Palau, are in a compact of free association with the United States that provides for their defense — abstained.

Asked about the lopsided vote, State Department spokesman Mark Toner said Tuesday the United States stands by its policy despite near-universal international objection, saying it was aimed at “creating better ties” with the Cuban people.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs/americas/267617-un-votes-188-3-to-condemn-us-cuba-embargo#ixzz2YI5pRB4x
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

Note the contention made by "State Department spokesman Mark Toner". How does more than half a century of terrorism directed at the government and the people of Cuba represent the US trying to "create better ties" with the Cuban people?

How does repeated attempts to assassinate the leader of a sovereign nation qualify as anything but terrorism?

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Caribbean/Neocolony_StateSiege.html

How does,

In the late 1970s, Cuban Americans in favor of improving relations organized "EI Dialogo," a dialogue between Cubans in the United States and Cubans on the island. Immediately terrorism escalated, including assassinations of leaders of El Dialogo in the US. Omega 7, another Cuban American terrorist group, was not prosecuted for any murders until it made the mistake of killing a Cuban diplomat in New York City in 1980, an assassination that led after a few years to the arrests and convictions of Omega 7 leader Eduardo Arocena and other Omega 7 members on charges that included multiple assassinations, bombings and drug trafficking.

qualify as anything other than terrorism, considering that these groups, not El Dialogo, were organized and funded by Bush 1, when he was with the CIA.

Ibid.

The list of US terrorist activities is endless. I invite you to do your own research, which you, if you were to maintain an open mind, would find highly enlightening.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/vomit.gif
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:40 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But I don't believe, like ehBeth, that many countries spy in embassies of their allies.

Do you also believe, Walter, that there is any other country that has the track record of the US when it comes to terrorism and illegal invasions of sovereign nations?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:41 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
We did however send our troops to fight your wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Honesty demands that one is honest, Izzy. The UK didn't just send troops. The UK actively involved itself in lies and grand deception in order to involve itself in war crimes and egregious acts of terrorism against sovereign nations.

What lies and grand deception were those?
Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Is there any evidence of that, or is that just some sort of wild-assed hypothetical?

There is plenty of evidence of that, some of it going all the way back to the Clinton administration. There used to be a Bundestag committe dedicated to it, and it published a comprehensive report, but it online anymore. Wikileaks has exposed further snooping of this kind. I'd dig up the articles that used to be in reputable German newspapers. But apparently their archives are all members-only these days, and I don't have accounts there anymore.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you seem to be so surprised about the US snooping on "foreign" communications like that. It's common knowledge in Europe, and you never came across as parochial about foreign affairs to me as the average American does. (Faint praise, I know.)
JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:46 pm
@Brandon9000,
Frank, you should have your sock puppet post at greater distances from you.

Please excuse my sarcasm, but it's phantasmagorical is what it is.

I know that it might be much too much to ask, but could someone please point Brandon/Frank's sock puppet to the articles I have so very recently posted?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:52 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Frank, you should have your sock puppet post at greater distances from you.

Please excuse my sarcasm, but it's phantasmagorical is what it is.

I know that it might be much too much to ask, but could someone please point Brandon/Frank's sock puppet to the articles I have so very recently posted?

Drunk Drunk

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/vomit.gif
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:53 pm
Quote:
Snowden's fate unclear despite asylum offers
LikeDislike
View gallery
NATALIYA VASILYEVA 1 hour ago
PoliticsLatin AmericaBolivia

MOSCOW (AP) — Edward Snowden has found supporters in Latin America, including three countries who have offered him asylum. But many obstacles stand in the way of the fugitive NSA leaker from leaving a Russian airport — chief among them the power and influence of the United States.

Because Snowden's U.S. passport has been revoked, the logistics of him departing are complicated. Venezuela, Nicaragua and Bolivia have made asylum offers over the past two days, but the three countries haven't indicated they would help Snowden by issuing a travel document, which he would need to leave Russia.

The former NSA systems analyst, who is charged with violating U.S. espionage laws, is believed to be stuck in the transit area of Moscow's main international airport after arriving June 23 from Hong Kong.

Russia doesn't appear willing to help him leave the airport, with Kremlin spokesman Alexei Pavlov saying Saturday the issue of Snowden's travel documents is "not our business." On Monday, President Vladimir Putin said Snowden would be offered asylum in Russia if he stopped leaking U.S. secrets. Snowden then withdrew his Russian asylum bid, a Russian official said.

It seems Snowden is willing to leak US secrets.

Also, none of those countries in South America that offered Snowden asylum isn't willing to issue travel documents to Snowden.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 12:58 pm
@Thomas,
I'm a little frustrated about Google's preference for new webpages over old. I distinctly remember that in the late 1990s, when the details of the traffic-sniffing software Carnivore came out, that included a detailed description of the hardware layer. This is how I learned that the CIA is using leftover antennae from the Cold War, which used to to tap into East European networks, to spy on French and German traffic. The descriptions were published in reputable German newspapers like the Sueddeutsche Zeitung and the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, as well as --- in even greater detail --- in reputable science and technology publications like Spektrum der Wissenschaft , c't and iX. (Don't ask me what these titles mean.)

I'm not aware of any lawsuits that were pressed against the CIA. I am aware that when a German prosecutor prepared to press such charges, the US embassy told Germany's federal government to call it off, lest it jeopardize US-German relations. That, too, was reported as a fact in the Sueddeutsche Zeitung and the Frankfurter Allgemeine. That's my evidence; you decide whether it's good enough for you or not.
JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
While we haven't agreed on much lately, I agree completely with you here.

Do you also agree with JPB when she stated the following, Frank?

Quote:
One of the stated goals of 9/11 was to let Americans know what it feels like to have bombs drop out of the skies and have towers fall around us. We didn't get the message. Any hope that we'd rise up against our own government and demand we stop doing what had just been done to us was naive. The fact that the "acrid smell and reddish rainbow" impacted many New Yorkers and lingers still, but yet didn't result in you standing up to scream "STOP DOING THIS ELSEWHERE" demonstrates the American self-interest that is so obvious to everyone else in the world. We simply can't (or refuse to) see who we really are.

ci asks what the NSA has done to me personally. They've proven that JTT has been right all along. You can imagine how much that pisses me off.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:15 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I've not stated otherwise.

You mistakenly described two illegal invasions of sovereign nations, as US wars.

Please don't think I'm being picayune; this narrower issue of Snowden & the NSA, as I've mentioned, did not occur in a vacuum.

Let me note too that Canada, Australia and other countries also involved themselves in these war crimes.

Lest anyone think this is just me, expressing a deep hatred for the USA, ...

Quote:
AGGRESSIVE WAR
By Whitney R. Harris

In 1934 President Franklin Roosevelt invited a Jamestown, New York, attorney, Robert H. Jackson, to come to Washington as General Counsel of the Bureau of Internal Revenue. Jackson became an immediate favorite of the president, so much so that by 1939 he was considered by Roosevelt as a suitable candidate for the vice-presidency of the United States. In 1940 President Roosevelt appointed Jackson, Attorney General of the United States.

War broke out in Europe on September 1, 1939 with the German assault upon Poland. England and France responded to their treaty commitments to Poland, but were unable to stem, or even impede, the German assault, and Stalin connived with Hitler to tear Poland apart and share the spoils. When Hitler turned to France his victory was swift and complete. Only Great Britain opposed him in the West. England came under intensive German air assault, and her fleet and convoys were heavily attacked. Churchill did not hesitate to carry on the flight with Hitler alone, but he sought to replenish and augment British military facilities that were sustaining alarming damage by the German military machine. The need for destroyers was desperate. They were essential to guard the convoys bringing war materials to England. And the Germans were sinking them literally at the rate of one a day.

The British Ambassador to the United States, Lord Lothian, asked Secretary of the Navy, Frank Knox, for the destroyers of which Great Britain was in such desperate need. An agreement was worked out under which the United States provided destroyers to England in exchange for certain British possessions in the Atlantic and Caribbean. It was this agreement that led to the Lend Lease Act of March 11, 1941. As Attorney General, Jackson gave his opinion to President Roosevelt that the consent of Congress was not required for this transaction. But it gave rise to the serious question whether such support to Great Britain in its war with Germany, might be deemed to constitute an act of war by the United States against Germany, justifying German retaliation against the United States. Jackson stated that even if the transaction was considered to aid Great Britain in its struggle with Germany, it would not constitute a violation of international law by the United States.

As he later wrote: “At the time The Hague conferences were held and most conventional international law was written, each state was regarded as having the legal right to resort to war against any other state at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. Since all war-making was a legal right, a third state that wished to claim the immunities of a neutral had to abstain from many forms of assistance to either of the equally lawful belligerents. But following the First World War, nearly all of the nations, including Germany, agreed unequivocally by the Kellogg-Briand Treaty to forgo war as an instrument of policy. That treaty, and many others that Germany had entered into, left no vestige of legal right for her to resort to a war of aggression. From the beginning, Roosevelt, Hull, Welles, Stimson and I had been in agreement that Hitler’s war was one of naked aggression, that by contemporary international law it was an illegal one, and that other powers were under no legal obligations to remain indifferent but instead had the right, not a duty, to vindicate the rule established under these treaties by assisting the victims of such unlawful aggression. “It was upon this legal basis that Secretary Stimson and Secretary Hull espoused the Lend-Lease Program before Congress. This concept of the Nazi attack on the peace of the world as an illegal enterprise was the fundamental assumption of the whole aid-to-England policy of the Roosevelt administration.”

Jackson was nominated by President Roosevelt as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in 1941. The nomination was quickly confirmed and he was no longer an active advisor of the President in meeting the constant crises of World War II following the bombing of Pearl Harbor by Japan on December 7, 1944 and America’s entry into World War II. Jackson desired to serve his country more actively. The opportunity came as the war drew to a close with an Allied victory. Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson was to serve America as it chief prosecutor in the trial of the leading German war criminals of World War II.

The genesis of this historic trial was the Moscow Conference of October 1943 at the conclusion of which a statement was signed by President Roosevelt, Prime Minister Churchill, and Premier Stalin declaring the determination of the three powers to hold Germans individually responsible for crimes committed by them in the course of war. At that time Lord Chancellor Simon and Prime Minister Churchill were of the opinion that leading war criminals should be disposed of by executive action, a view echoed in the United States by Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau who proposed to President Roosevelt that German arch criminals be shot upon capture and identification. Secretary Morgenthau was opposed in the Cabinet by Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson, who believed that leading Nazis should be brought to trial before an international military tribunal. Stimson’s views ultimately prevailed, and a memorandum recommending a trial was prepared for the use of President Roosevelt at the Crimea conference in February 1945. The memorandum stated that condemnation of German war criminals after a trial would command maximum public support and receive the respect of history, and it noted that use of the judicial method would make an authentic and irrefutable record of Nazi crimes.

PLEASE DO READ ON AT,

http://www.roberthjackson.org/the-man/speeches-articles/speeches/speeches-related-to-robert-h-jackson/the-crime-of-waging-aggressive-war/

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:27 pm
@Brandon9000,
Considering the following, how can anyone believe "State Department spokesman Mark Toner" represents that the US is trying to "create better ties" with the Cuban people?

Quote:
The U.S. Embargo and the Wrath of God

by Juan Gonzalez

In These Times, March 8, 1998

Havana: Gilberto Duran Torres couldn't devote much attention to Pope John Paul lI's historic visit here in January. While Cuban journalists and thousands of foreign journalists recorded the pope's every move, Duran and the other doctors at Calixto Garcia Hospital, Cuba's largest and most prestigious medical center, spent another hair-raising week quietly concocting their own miracles-a string of patchwork procedures to keep their patients alive.

Duran is chief of the intermediate care unit. He has worked at the hospital for 25 years, but nowadays he watches helplessly as the country's awesome cradle-to-grave, free medical system slowly disintegrates. Duran's department, for instance, is making do with artificial respirators that are more than 20 years old. . . . "We should have at least 12 for my unit," he says. "We have far fewer, and they are always breaking down. When one goes, we don't have the parts to fix it, so we have to search around the city, find a hospital that's not using theirs, and transport it here." So much of the world's advanced medical equipment and drugs are manufactured by U.S. firms that the three-decade-old American embargo is now literally killing Cubans, according to a 1997 report issued by the American Association for World Health (AAWH) following a year-long investigation.

Back in Washington, the proponents of the embargo insist that needed medical supplies can still get to Cuba. But the 300 page AAWH report, "Denial of Food and Medicine: The Impact of the U.S. Embargo on Health and Nutrition in Cuba," provides startling documentation of dozens of cases in which Cuban hospitals could not secure the medicine and equipment they needed because of the sharp restrictions imposed by the 1992 Cuban Democracy Act.

Dr. Julian Ruiz, a surgeon at Calixto Garcia, recounts his 15-day search last September for a Z-Stent Introducer, a small contraption that he needed to operate on a man with colon cancer. Not one could be found in the country. The manufacturer of the Z-Stent, Wilson Cooke Medical Inc. of Winston-Salem, N.C., refused to sell it to the Cubans. Ruiz' staff, scouring the world, finally found a Z-Stent they could buy in Mexico. By that time, the man's cancer had spread.

Exacerbating the shortages are takeovers of foreign firms by U.S. pharmaceutical companies. In 1995, for example, Upjohn Co. merged with Pharmacia, a major Swedish drug company that had been supplying Cuba with millions of dollars worth of chemotherapy drugs, growth hormones and equipment for its medical labs. Within three months, Pharmacia closed its Havana office and stopped all sales.

That same year, Nunc, a Danish firm that supplied Cuba with materials for HIV and hepatitis screening tests, was absorbed by Sybron International of Wisconsin. Eight days after the merger, Nunc executives notified Cuba by fax: "Much to our regret, we have to inform you that unfortunately our cooperation of many years has to be terminated.... In future, we therefore have to follow the directions laid down by the U.S. Government in relation to Cuba."

Nothing has drawn the Catholic Church and the Cuban government closer together than their mutual opposition to the U.S. blockade of medicine and food supplies to Cuba's people.

"Even in warfare, you don't bomb hospitals and schools," says Patrick Sullivan, the pastor of a church in Santa Clara and the only American priest permanently stationed in the country.

A Cuban official in charge of finding and paying for food from abroad recounted her frustration with the embargo. "To ship a thousand tons of powdered milk from New Zealand, I must pay $150,000, when bringing the same amount from Miami would only cost me $25,000," she says.

While the U.S. government forces Cuba to pay six times more than necessary for children to drink milk and shuts off the supply for medical screening tests, it scurries to sell more Boeing planes to China, to open new Nike factories in Vietnam and even finds ways to ship food to North Korea. The last time anybody looked, these were socialist countries too, at least in name.

PLEASE DO READ ON AT,

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Human_Rights/Cuba_embargo.html

And Cicirone Imposter says,

"It seems Snowden is willing to leak US secrets."

I have to ask,

Why wouldn't any individual that possessed the slightest measure of human decency be willing to leak US secrets?
wandeljw

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:41 pm
I like what John Oliver said on The Daily Show: "29 is pathetically old for a hacker."
JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:51 pm
@wandeljw,
That's cute, JW.

Could I, we get your comment on the following?

Considering what we all know about the US and its interactions with myriad countries around the globe, why wouldn't any individual that possessed the slightest measure of human decency be willing to leak US secrets?
Mame

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:53 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Why wouldn't any individual that possessed the slightest measure of human decency be willing to leak US secrets?

I agree. I hope some country decides to help that man.
JTT

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2013 01:56 pm
@Mame,
Would it be impolite for me to express my happiness at your remarks in this thread, Mame?