Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:18 am
This forum by any estimation is overwhelmingly liberal, progressive, what have you.

Clearly, I am a conservative voice.

So are Brandon, roger and obigeorge (and obviously there can be others) but we are in the minority in this forum.

Unfortunately, no matter how rationally we express ourselves, we are subject to insult and derision. Liberals in this forum may scoff at this assertion but they refuse to imagine how their positions would be received if their opinions were in the minority.

I don't speak for all conservative members in this forum as respects content or process, but personally I've had it with mindless objection and, more importantly, rejections that defy logic but comply with ideology.

Since there are very few reasonable voices from the Left in this forum, I no longer will seek to engage them, and I encourage my fellow conservatives to follow suit.

For liberals, the only rational conservative is the one that agrees with them.

This is an existential conflict as respects the existence of our nation. I don't imagine that my comments in this forum have any material impact on this conflict, but I will be damned if I don't say what I believe, regardless of the opinions of the A2K Illuminati.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 33 • Views: 9,621 • Replies: 131

jespah

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 03:40 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
There are literally thousands of other types of topics already on the forum, or make your own. You have been a member for a long time. I can't speak to how you feel about politics, and how that relates to A2K but, truly, I am sure that most people discussing it have little belief that they will sway anyone with their statements.

But there is, like I said, a lot else to talk about. I do hope you will stick around for that.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 03:48 am
A tour de force in vituperative bile spewing, with a healthy dose of hysterical hyperbole. One expects no less of Finny.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:45 am
If this forum is "overwhelmingly liberal" then I'm a Dutchman.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 05:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

This forum by any estimation is overwhelmingly liberal, progressive, what have you.

Clearly, I am a conservative voice.

So are Brandon, roger and obigeorge (and obviously there can be others) but we are in the minority in this forum.

Unfortunately, no matter how rationally we express ourselves, we are subject to insult and derision. Liberals in this forum may scoff at this assertion but they refuse to imagine how their positions would be received if their opinions were in the minority.

I don't speak for all conservative members in this forum as respects content or process, but personally I've had it with mindless objection and, more importantly, rejections that defy logic but comply with ideology.

Since there are very few reasonable voices from the Left in this forum, I no longer will seek to engage them, and I encourage my fellow conservatives to follow suit.

For liberals, the only rational conservative is the one that agrees with them.

This is an existential conflict as respects the existence of our nation. I don't imagine that my comments in this forum have any material impact on this conflict, but I will be damned if I don't say what I believe, regardless of the opinions of the A2K Illuminati.

Finn...I agree. This forum (and the other one I frequent) have a liberal bias...and I see many of the "liberals" more than happy to tear into the few conservatives whenever possible.

But surely you see that the bullshit runs pretty deep in both directions. Some of the stuff coming out of the "conservative" factions can peel the paint off the walls.

Name-calling and vituperation seem to be a mainstay of the Internet forums. If that bothers you too much...Internet discussions are probably not for you. A2K is especially tolerant of this kind of thing...and is no place for the faint-of-heart (which I definitely do not see you as being.)

In the other forum I frequent, the truly bat-**** crazy extreme left dominates...a group I consider a greater danger to the progressive political and social agenda I favor, so I often offer counter-arguments to their raging against Obama; the government; and damn near everything.

I catch a lot of **** from them.

I continue the counter-arguments as reasonably and with as little of the hateful nonsense as possible.

Do the same here. Reasonable counter-arguments are an absolute necessity...and I suspect many of the people ragging you realize this and appreciate your posts.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 05:10 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

If this forum is "overwhelmingly liberal" then I'm a Dutchman.
I've got some (distant) Dutch relatives ... and I know roger and george personally

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 08:31 am
Big wheel keep on toinin
Proud Mary keep on boinin
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:11 am
@jespah,
Last night, late. Finnsy got into a dust up with another poster and he attempted to misstate me as if I was "underpinning his position" I stated to that poster that while I agreed with Finnsy (or more correctly he agreed with me since I started that line about the acting abilities of jim Gandolfini), I did not join Finnsy in his immediate rsorting to personal insult (Apparently there had been some previous issues between the two in which I didn't need to participate). So I asserted my position that Finnsy was definitely on his own wrt cheap shots.
Then Finnsy strated on ME as if I were a "traitor" to his POV. It ended badly where Finn and I started a bit of bame calling and then I just went to bed at like 2 cause I hadda get up at 4 and check out and get on the rpad to home.
The entire issue was stupid, so now Finnsy is like all whiney and friendless cause I abandoned him.
As set wisely said many years ago
"We are all conservative , just about different things" I sorta live by that. I don't have a complete check list of **** I MUST buy or else Im out of the club. I really give a rats ass for other than good sex, a nice bacon lettuce and tomato sammich, and a decent fair argument where I win or lose by ISSUES, not votes or how many douche bags agree onsome stylistic flap.

If Finnsy doesn't return, hes just being a pussy and all his fierce stances over Conservative issues are fraudulent. There are several non insulting conservatives on the board and I agree with many parts of many of their arguments and I disagree with many others.
If our experiences on A2K are based solely on some feel-good "validation"of individual beliefs , we are fucked , and you might as well just turn this whole place into a trivia board and "Big cash" fill -in-the-blanks where all folks do is provide answers to helpless puzzle "solvers".

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:18 am
I have a great deal of respect for a number of our conservative friends, also. Just not the Tea Party mentality that some express here.
farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:21 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeh, I wont embarrass anyone by calling out names but I agree wholeheartedly.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:54 am
The reason this forum tilts to the Left is because we Liberals got more skoolin' and we can rite better.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 10:05 am
@panzade,
Good thing a fella dosent have to know how to spel to post here.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 11:18 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
This happens on nearly every subject on these forums. The political forums and conservatives are not being singled out. It is very rare that a good discussion thread on any topic can go more than two pages without imploding from personality conflicts and insults.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 12:56 pm
@panzade,
Oh yeah, there was a draft exemption for college students in the Vietnam era. Four years college, more in post grad work, and the war was over. We have a word for people that followed that route. BOSS.
panzade

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:02 pm
@roger,
Roger ol' buddy.My pal. And I mean it sincerely....
Bitter doesn't suit you.

In case anybody missed it, I was kidding around.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:45 pm
@panzade,
You probably meant to say it doesn't suit you. Suits me just fine.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 01:59 pm
@roger,
So people who take advantage of the system are no good liberal bastards? Does this hold true for rich guys who use their wealth or daddys wealth to get out of serving?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 02:09 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Oh yeah, there was a draft exemption for college students in the Vietnam era. Four years college, more in post grad work, and the war was over. We have a word for people that followed that route. BOSS.

...and your point is?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 02:15 pm
The liberal voices here seem pretty reasonable to me.
roger

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 02:44 pm
@maxdancona,
surprise, surprise.
0 Replies