reasoning logic

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 05:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
why are we not willing to take others as our equals if we disagree with them, why do we try to cleanse the airwaves of views we dont agree with as if others would be infected with a fatal virus if they heard the "wrong" words ?

Misinformation is like a virus and we all have it but the reason we do not just let it go is because we do realize that facts are best unless we are trying to be deceitful.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 07:03 pm
@neologist,
Perhaps this is the way you do it but I look up information on the various sites to confirm facts I am not sure of. I dont just accept anything Ive been told by people I am "supposed" to trust.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:21 pm
quote from original post
mindless objection and, more importantly, rejections that defy logic but comply with ideology.

Here is the crux of Finn's complaint, I think, more so than the ridicule and name calling he objects to (especially since he has been known to spread a few invectives as well). But when he pushes Teaparty agendas so strongly, rejection is a given, with liberals. The Teaparty is made up of bedrock fundamentalists who push unrealistic moral and fiscal "cures" (I view them as punishments) on common Americans. To him it defies logic that one cannot accept this short-sightedness, it seems to me. The worst criticism I have to make of the Teaparty is its unwillingness to negotiate anything. And I am unwilling to give it any credence until it does.
JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:23 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Just listen and point out to them later that they were fed a bunch of crap from people with an agenda.

That's what I've been trying to tell you since forever, Rabel, but you've got this stubborn spot that has to have all the propaganda mucked out before you will accept the truth.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 09:22 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Quote:
We all have the tendency to grade our own papers. Its called confirmation bias.
Well at least you are getting closer to the truth but you are still a little bit wrong. Wink
How so, RL? By all means, tell us.
neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 09:25 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Perhaps this is the way you do it but I look up information on the various sites to confirm facts I am not sure of. I dont just accept anything Ive been told by people I am "supposed" to trust.
I try hard to avoid confirmation bias and I am positively elated to know you do also.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 09:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
quote from original post
mindless objection and, more importantly, rejections that defy logic but comply with ideology.
Here is the crux of Finn's complaint, I think, more so than the ridicule and name calling he objects to (especially since he has been known to spread a few invectives as well). But when he pushes Teaparty agendas so strongly, rejection is a given, with liberals. The Teaparty is made up of bedrock fundamentalists who push unrealistic moral and fiscal "cures" (I view them as punishments) on common Americans. To him it defies logic that one cannot accept this short-sightedness, it seems to me. The worst criticism I have to make of the Teaparty is its unwillingness to negotiate anything. And I am unwilling to give it any credence until it does.
Great! It's good to know you won't negotiate either. Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 09:29 pm
@neologist,
Have it your way. I won't respond to a nonsensical quip like that.
neologist

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 09:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Have it your way. I won't respond to a nonsensical quip like that.
Oh YEAH!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 09:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Here is the crux of Finn's complaint,

No, that isn't it at all, Ed. Finn's complaint, completely justified, was that GlitterBag leveled a completely gratuitous shot at him for a pretty damn neutral comment on the TV mob boss. She ignored a Farmerman comment that was much more "disrespectful" than anything Finn had said.

She railed on at Finn,

"Are you absolutely sure one of his kids will never google their fathers name and find this ignorant group of assholes talking about a man none of us knows, but because it was newsworthy enough to be reported, some of you drop in just to insult each other and critique his skills."

when, as I said, Farmer was doing as much or more critiquing as Finn. But she just had to get in her namedropping story, which may have made her feel she was to be the grand defender.

And you know what? - that probably wouldn't have bothered Finn at all. What really got his gall was the 'sandbox bullshit" that Farmer pulled. It was as cheap a shot as I've seen here at A2K. Of course, Rockhead leaped into the sandbox too. Why? Because it was Finn! That's the only ******* reason and it was just a bunch of pile on chickenshits.

In this specific situation, Finn was dead right, it most assuredly was "mindless objection". Finn had every reason to expect Farmer to, at the very least, step up and allow that he had been doing what Finn did - he did it earlier and stronger.

But Farmerman took the chickenshit route. Instead of stepping up to the plate, he ran back to the sandbox where all his playmates were.

That was the crux of Finn's complaint.
engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 07:28 am
@JTT,
It always seemed to me that Finn saw A2K as two teams (conservative and liberal) "debating" issues. His team was outnumbered but he was dedicated. The reality is a lot less black and white so he saw someone who was with him on one issue inexplicably (to him) against him on the next. Facing what he perceived as a monolithic left he felt a terrible injustice. I'm sorry to see his voice silenced, but we only stay here for the fun and if it isn't fun anymore I can see why he would leave.
farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 07:57 am
@engineer,
You have to be reminded that Finn began the insult campaign on glitterbag because glitterbag was offended at his use of a critique which was NOT about Gandolfinis talents or performance, but was a personal critique that she felt his family would (maybe) read. She responded with a mild scold and got a broadside form Finnsy. Finnsy, conflating his personal attack with my comments on Gandolfini's acting, started trying to use me as his "backup support". I respomded to glitterbag that
I was not associated with Finnsy's assertion, but Finnsy then went stratospheric and sent me several PM;s in a sort of "Cmon dude" you are backing me no? and then'You liberals are all the same". (If hes gon for good Ill publish the PM's here and you will be able to see that he was stretching it a bit.

It wsnt even a series of posts requiring any further action. A(A good batch of Those two ignoring each other would have worked wonders)
BUT NOOOO, Finnsy came out with this ridiculous thread , whining . (He does resort to whining when his arguments aren't fully bought)

Both Finnsy and Glitterbag were involved in gratuitous name -calling but, in fact, Finnsy began it all when he felt that Glitterbag "scolded" him. After which, he went " schoolyard" by writing this thread.

I think if Finnsy stays away, itll be more by reason of embarrassment and not any philosophical difference twixt L's and C's.

We all engage in sniping and what we often feel are clever quips and shots over the mizzen. I don't think that most of us read our posts as if we were the intended recipients. That would require some editing skills , of which most of us, save maybe Roberta and Endymion are not equipped.

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:15 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Quote:
I am over 50, I remember when people could sit around with others that they deeply disagreed with, finding common ground, and having a good time. we lost that somewhere.

I am well over 50 also and I don't remember having the sorts of discussions we often have here.

The anonymity of the internet makes all the difference.

What amazes me is the people who think they are the ones who have the 'truth' and are ruthless in their attacks and then say it's the 'other side' who practices just what they do on a regular basis.

Quote:
my theory is that too many people live in a fantasy world, and some where in the back of their minds they know they are not reality based, and they lash out at any threats to their delusions.

I noticed that also, but of course our lists would be different. Why is that so hard to understand? What we have lost in this country, in a political sense, is compromise.
engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:22 am
@farmerman,
I was wondering if PM's were involved since I looked back at that thread and didn't see where all the drama was coming from. I know that when he started a campaign against a particular poster a few weks ago, he said he would take it to PM's to those who he thought shared his viewpoint.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:37 am
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
What amazes me is the people who think they are the ones who have the 'truth' and are ruthless in their attacks and then say it's the 'other side' who practices just what they do on a regular basis.

And here my fellow South Carolinian has hit the nail on the head. I've seen the kind of stuff that Finn is complaining come from posters from all sides of the political spectrum. I long ago accepted as fact that there are some posters who would rather act childish than talk about their position. I seldom post in political or religion threads anymore simply because I got disgusted with all the name calling and what not from both sides. While I enjoy a well timed barb at someone or someone's position (even directed at myself), I have tried to stay away from threads when the vitriol has gotten out of control.

Gosh, I had a point when I started typing all this, now it escapes me. Oh yeah, bottom line is that nobody can keep someone from responding in an insulting manner. But we can control how we respond back. If one wants a bit of respect and decorum, then show respect and decorum. (You still may not get it back, but at least you will know you have taken the high ground.)

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 08:46 am
I enjoy Finn's posts. They make me feel all warm and tingly inside.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 09:19 am
@CoastalRat,
Quote:
If one wants a bit of respect and decorum, then show respect and decorum. (You still may not get it back, but at least you will know you have taken the high ground.)
Well, you have to recognize that, besides anonymity, the internet gives you a great big poster board for many other folks to read, not just your intended correspondent.
Why do you think some people like JTT hang around, They want to be seen by everyone who ISNT ignoring them. The snipes and bad behavior are intended for a wider audience where cleverness is substituted for good manners..

I consider some high praise that I once got from Gungasnake. I was sniping at him and he was asked why he doesn't ignore me like he did several others. Gungasnake said
"Yeh hes an asshole too, but once and a while he comes up with some good stuff"

I told my wife that she may modify that somewhat and use it as my epitaph
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 09:52 am
Why can't we all just get along?
CoastalRat

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 09:58 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Why can't we all just get along?

Because we all take ourselves too seriously for our own good?
Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 10:04 am
@CoastalRat,
I've seen you post seriously, and i've seen you post silly. I recall that you post seriously in relationship threads, where that's probably a good thing. I've seen you sometimes post silly in contexts where it's self-deprecating, which suggests that you don't take yourself too seriously.

I don't like Tico, and Tico doesn't like me. That's not a problem for either of us. However, i once told him that i respected him as a member here because he doesn't just come here and rant in the political threads, but that he posts in other threads, and one could say that it's sometimes serious and sometimes silly. People who post in different threads than the monomaniacs who only post about politics or only post about religion, are, in my never humble opinion, members in good standing, worth having around.

I've never seen Finn that way. I don't see him doing anything here but looking for controversy, looking to sneer at someone, looking to pick a fight. While one might argue that he doesn't post exclusively in political threads, about the only other threads he posts in are ones in which he can make an allegation against "libruls" in the context of culture wars. I have no respect for him as a member of a community here.