The Bible (a discussion)

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:39 am
@Heath229,
UFOs? I have no doubt that many, many people see, or think they see, objects, or what they think are objects, which are flying, or which they think are flying, which they are then and subsequently unable to identify. That is not evidence of anything but their ignorance, and possibly, their superstition. The only possible connection to the bible--and it's a stretch--is superstition.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:44 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
I am a keen student of the bible and have been for many years, however there is a source for contention over how the book fits in to our day.

There are many differing views over the bibles origin or credibility, and how much it should be used within religion, however whether inspired of God or not, it is undoubtable that no other writings have influenced the world we live in more, and so surely it is worthy of some consideration.

I invite you to discuss your take on scripture. What merit does the book hold to you in your faith?

This is the opening post. Although i find the proposition that no other writings have influenced the world we live in more to be an absurd nnd unwarranted claim, that's not even a part of the the author's question.

This is the author's question:

Quote:
I invite you to discuss your take on scripture. What merit does the book hold to you in your faith?

It's actually two questions. (Neither of them have the remotest connection to silliness such as "UFOs.") The first cold be answered by anyone. The second is directed only at those who see the book as having any merit, and those who have "faith" (by which one can reasonably assume the author meant faith in the sense understood by contemporary christians).
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:07 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

OK, Frank. I think you delude yourself. Not just you, but many.

You often claim I am afraid of consequences that may or may not be meted out by God as retribution for some unspecified sin. You rightly judge the perceived punishment as unspeakably cruel and can't imagine how any rational being could love such a God. And since millions have been so managed by the priesthood through the ages, it presents a perfectly good reason for you to discard the Bible as a provider of hope and/or guidance. I can't blame you; but have you ever asked yourself why the Bible writers insist that God's principle quality is love? How could that possibly fit with your world view?

Its a conundrum because the feared punishment is a myth. The early Jews did not believe in an afterlife. There could be no baking, boiling, frying or broiling. Nothing really to fear, at least nothing that any self respecting atheist or agnostic would fear. You live. You die. That's it. The lie of an afterlife, with dual eventualities of heaven/hell, is nothing but a management tool. Priests and kings have worked this implement for thousands of years. So you and I are in the same boat when it comes to this state of affairs.

Except you seem to apply some credence to the myth. And I submit your view of what you refer to as "the god" is a head in the sand reaction to a threat that does not even exist. Having judged "the god" according to your own standards, you focus entirely on passages which, left unexplained, bolster your position. The only payoff I can see from this line of reasoning is the freedom you have to choose for yourself what is good and what is bad, an ages old concept, don't you agree?

Perhaps you could benefit from a reexamination of your axioms and assumptions.

Perhaps you could!

Where have I done what you are talking about here...that caused this latest outburst of yours?

Pick out something I said that caused this "you are so easily confused" remark...and let's discuss that.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Where have I done what you are talking about here...that caused this latest outburst of yours?

Pick out something I said that caused this "you are so easily confused" remark...and let's discuss that.

1--Your use of "outburst" in the first sentence. Your use of "latest" to declare that neo's post is just another in a long line of outbursts.

2--Your use of "silliness" in your previous post.

If a member makes a well written and perfectly sensible post, as neo did, it is not an outburst. It is a contribution to the thread and those who have read the satires of Dante or Joyce on the subject of Hell will recognise the validity of the point made.

All neo said, in essence, is that you mark your own exam papers. Which is fair enough but you need to answer the question of whether we are all allowed to proceed in that fashion or is it a unique privilege of yours? And if you concede we are all equally entitled to proceed that way what is the outcome for our way of life?

To declare someone's contribution to be "silliness" or "nonsense" is neither an argument nor a contribution to a discussion unless you're holding the biggest or the fastest gun.

Some people might argue that to take federal funds to help NJ to recover from the storm is silly and nonsensical and they might very well be able to provide excellent justifications for the assertions. There was no aid for communities suffering natural disasters in the pure light of reason in the days before Biblical influence. Such zones were simply looted and left to shift for themselves. The shores of NJ are risky places to invest in and thus land is cheap. Federal aid coming from those who paid more for land in order to avoid such risks is not unlike compensating those who back losers at the track. It is a thoroughly Christian invention to supply it.

All the funds used in the recovery of NJ are at risk from a storm next year. The whole of the effort on behalf of NJ was inspired by Christian thinking which would not exist without the Bible.
spendius

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:21 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Although i find the proposition that no other writings have influenced the world we live in more to be an absurd nnd unwarranted claim

If Setanta would provide some argument to justify that view we might be able to discuss it. Blurts are not discussion and nor are they discussable.
0 Replies

Heath229

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 09:00 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Hey einstein, first of all, I didn't respond because I turned my computer off, as I had other things to do. Does that make any sense to you, or are you really that ridiculous?

If believing that Jesus rose from the dead after being crucified makes me a Christian, then, yes, I'm a Christian. But I'm a Christian that absolutely has no problem with returning your, or anyone else's, pathetic insults. I tend not to join these types of conversations because of this kind of stupid crap, it's child like. Your mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's opened. Try opening yours up sometime.

I'll give you a full run down in Herodotus soon if you're really interested, but not if you're gonna just respond with stupid insults.

I'm not trying to jump this thread, just giving a different perspective. Some of my best friends don't believe. I would still give them the shirt off my back. I don't resort to childlike name calling with them, or them I, like some of you. It says a lot about you. You and bill are really not worth even communicating with, it's silly.

As for ghosts, in my opinion, if you believe in them, or possibly even seen one, then you'd be somewhat ignorant not to give way to the fact that there's some seriously mysterious things going on beyond flesh and blood. I don't really care about the ghost topic, but it's just to get you, or anyone else interested, to understand that if ghosts exist, why can't you see that supernatural beings do exist. It's a real simple concept, easy logic. For someone like you, it's baby steps.

Let me know if you want to hear the facts OUTSIDE the bible. If not, go ahead and insult others who try and explain. Good luck with that, seriously, you're gonna need it at this point.

Later

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 12:17 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

1--Your use of "outburst" in the first sentence. Your use of "latest" to declare that neo's post is just another in a long line of outbursts.

2--Your use of "silliness" in your previous post.

If a member makes a well written and perfectly sensible post, as neo did, it is not an outburst. It is a contribution to the thread and those who have read the satires of Dante or Joyce on the subject of Hell will recognise the validity of the point made.

All neo said, in essence, is that you mark your own exam papers. Which is fair enough but you need to answer the question of whether we are all allowed to proceed in that fashion or is it a unique privilege of yours? And if you concede we are all equally entitled to proceed that way what is the outcome for our way of life?

To declare someone's contribution to be "silliness" or "nonsense" is neither an argument nor a contribution to a discussion unless you're holding the biggest or the fastest gun.

Some people might argue that to take federal funds to help NJ to recover from the storm is silly and nonsensical and they might very well be able to provide excellent justifications for the assertions. There was no aid for communities suffering natural disasters in the pure light of reason in the days before Biblical influence. Such zones were simply looted and left to shift for themselves. The shores of NJ are risky places to invest in and thus land is cheap. Federal aid coming from those who paid more for land in order to avoid such risks is not unlike compensating those who back losers at the track. It is a thoroughly Christian invention to supply it.

All the funds used in the recovery of NJ are at risk from a storm next year. The whole of the effort on behalf of NJ was inspired by Christian thinking which would not exist without the Bible.

What is Neo...a virtual ventriloquist?

In any case...since you apparently are a genius...or have a crystal ball...why the "you are so easily confused?"
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa, replying to Spendi wrote:
. . . .What is Neo...a virtual ventriloquist?. . .
What would a virtual ventriloquist look like? Is that a redundancy? Beats me.
Frank Apisa, replying to neo wrote:
. . .Where have I done what you are talking about here...that caused this latest outburst of yours? . . .
I never considered myself an outburstist, either. Whatever that is. Beats me. Is outburstifier a better word?
Frank Apisa, replying to neo again in the same post wrote:
. . . Pick out something I said that caused this "you are so easily confused" remark...and let's discuss that. . . .
Gosh, now I'm confused. You don't remember how many times you insisted I must be motivated by fear of "the god"? Beats me; I lost count.

Bogala Boogala Boo!.................Boo!
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:26 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa, replying to Spendi wrote:
. . . .What is Neo...a virtual ventriloquist?. . .
What would a virtual ventriloquist look like? Is that a redundancy? Beats me.
Frank Apisa, replying to neo wrote:
. . .Where have I done what you are talking about here...that caused this latest outburst of yours? . . .
I never considered myself an outburstist, either. Whatever that is. Beats me. Is outburstifier a better word?
Frank Apisa, replying to neo again in the same post wrote:
. . . Pick out something I said that caused this "you are so easily confused" remark...and let's discuss that. . . .
Gosh, now I'm confused. You don't remember how many times you insisted I must be motivated by fear of "the god"? Beats me; I lost count.

Bogala Boogala Boo!.................Boo!

Hey...I ain't responding until you assure me that Spendius gave you permission to speak for yourself.
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
. . .Hey...I ain't responding until you assure me that Spendius gave you permission to speak for yourself.
Aww. Heck. Well, we can go to another thread and duke it out there if it suits you.

You are definitely a fine sparring partner, Frank.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 01:50 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . .Hey...I ain't responding until you assure me that Spendius gave you permission to speak for yourself.
Aww. Heck. Well, we can go to another thread and duke it out there if it suits you.

You are definitely a fine sparring partner, Frank.

Thank you, Neo. I enjoy our give and take. You do not take it as seriously as some do...and I definitely do not take it seriously at all. So...it can be fun...sorta the way golf is "fun!" (Golf can be a bitch at times!)
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 02:29 pm
@Heath229,
Heath229 wrote:

Hey einstein, first of all, I didn't respond because I turned my computer off, as I had other things to do. Does that make any sense to you, or are you really that ridiculous?

(1) It makes sense to me. (2)I'm probably that ridiculous. (3) In view of your later comments, below, how can you accuse me of being "insulting" when you follow suit so readily?

Quote:
If believing that Jesus rose from the dead after being crucified makes me a Christian, then, yes, I'm a Christian. But I'm a Christian that absolutely has no problem with returning your, or anyone else's, pathetic insults. I tend not to join these types of conversations because of this kind of stupid crap, it's child like. Your mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's opened. Try opening yours up sometime.

Like you, I find these kinds of conversations pretty stupid and childish. My mind is quite open to considering rational arguments. So far you've failed to provide a single one. You still haven't answered my question of where Heredotus or Tacitus or Thucydides or any other ancient historian mentions anything at all that the Bible tells of -- the flood, the tower of Babel (which, btw, simply means 'Gate of God'), Abraham or Moses or Joseph or Jacob or anything remotely connected with the wandering tribes of Hebrews who, until the time of Moses, weren't even fully monotheistic in their beliefs. C'mon, hotshot, let's hear a reasonable argument for a change instead of this onslaught of special pleading and pretense of having an "open mind." A hole in the head is not synonimous with an open mind.

Quote:
I'll give you a full run down in Herodotus soon if you're really interested, but not if you're gonna just respond with stupid insults.

It'll take you some time to research Heredotus in Wikipedia, I assume. I understand. You might look up Hammurabi while you're at it. You might discover that Moses must have been familiar with the decrees of that law-giver inasmuch as a good deal of the Decalogue (the Ten Commandments as you call them) is lifted right from Hammurabi's dicta, in some cases verbatim.

Quote:

I'm not trying to jump this thread, just giving a different perspective. Some of my best friends don't believe. I would still give them the shirt off my back. I don't resort to childlike name calling with them, or them I, like some of you. It says a lot about you. You and bill are really not worth even communicating with, it's silly.

Laughing I love that phrase, 'Some of my best friends don't believe.' Laughing Sort of like saying 'Some of my best friends are Jewish' or 'black' or 'Asian' or whatever. You certainly do resort to childish name-calling. You've done it to me several times in this post. I didn't engage in 'name-calling' with you. That's not my style at all. I called you a hypocrite. That was a statement of fact, not an insult.

Quote:
As for ghosts, in my opinion, if you believe in them, or possibly even seen one, then you'd be somewhat ignorant not to give way to the fact that there's some seriously mysterious things going on beyond flesh and blood. I don't really care about the ghost topic, but it's just to get you, or anyone else interested, to understand that if ghosts exist, why can't you see that supernatural beings do exist. It's a real simple concept, easy logic. For someone like you, it's baby steps.

Nobody's denying that there are 'some seriously mysterious things going on on', least of all me. I believe there are any number of things in the world that we simply do not understand and perhaps some of them are beyond human understanding. I accept that. It has nothing whatever to do with a belief or non-belief in ghosts or UFOs or the Cookie Monster. I'll remind you again that the subject of this thread is the Bible, not paranormal phenomena.

Quote:
Let me know if you want to hear the facts OUTSIDE the bible. If not, go ahead and insult others who try and explain. Good luck with that, seriously, you're gonna need it at this point.
Later

I try not to insult anyone. And, seriously, sonny, you're gonna need a lot more luck than I will if you ever hope to win an argument with your sophomoric style of arguing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
In any case...since you apparently are a genius...or have a crystal ball...why the "you are so easily confused?"

I'm not a genius and I do not have a crystal ball.

If I were to allow neo, an ab. of neologist, the benefit of the doubt I might say that he was using a short-hand for saying that the corny and cliched burlesques you employ are contradictory and they have rendered you confused.

You would not be confused, of course, if you had no contact with the real world or no experience of the burlesques of others and thus cannot have taken the trouble to compare the two with reference to their likeliest outcomes.

Here is Wiki's, that's an ab. of Wikipedia, definition of burlesque.

Quote:
Burlesque is a literary, dramatic or musical work intended to cause laughter by caricaturing the manner or spirit of serious works, or by ludicrous treatment of their subjects. The word derives from the Italian burlesco, which, in turn, is derived from the Italian burla – a joke, ridicule or mockery.

Laughing something off, the bustle for example, is just as good as hunting down all references to it and burning them and stringing up those who make them. It is actually better at getting rid of it.

The western world has proved that the Bible is a serious work although there are some who are not entirely convinced. It was the first ever book printed on the first ever printing press. It has since sold more than any other book printed since, the bulk of which are worthless, and it has been used as the source of quotations and plots more times than any other work of art.

Children's names. It's a serious work.

Laughing that off is not going to be easy and if you were not so confused you would be campaigning to use the other method to get rid of it instead of regaling us with these washed-out, simple, burlesques of yours which only serve the purpose of making you look ridiculous. As they do Setanta.

Somebody is certainly confused if they continually bang their head against a thick wall. In the real world no amount of cheapskate burlesques will shift the Bible or prevent it being treated as a serious work.

There are too many people who have restrained their sexual urges for too many years to have them accept that they did so for nothing. Or, worse, for a sack of bullshit. For something ludicrous. Fools. Had the wool pulled over and missed all the fun.

That those who have allowed their sexual urges a freer run might take a different view is not at all surprising. But why they feel they cannot allow their sexual urges a free run and keep quiet about it, as many politicians have self-evidently managed to do, (i.e. all the ones not in disgrace I mean---well, the men--I wouldn't wish to seem ungallant), rather than flagging it up in public, with pride, is a complete mystery to me unless they believe, and it would be a belief, that everybody having the same fun will cause no harmful effects. Some, not a few, believe there will be benefits and make us more ready and fit to fight our enemies. And in view of the fact that they would have to introduce draconian measures fairly soon after trying the experiment, property taking on the look of a transit camp in fairly short order, as just one example, I dare say they might well take advantage of the regimentation required to get us lean and fit as we would soon be with 6am PT, jogging to our workstations, a Vegan meat and potato pie and a card to watch the Big Mon explain how grateful we ought to be to him for bringing us this paradise.

That's a twee burlesque. The serious work being ridiculed is the regime which does without the Bible.

There are two types of burlesque. One that ridicules something that should be ridiculed, totalitarianism, and one that ridicules something that doesn't deserve to be. Ridiculing the latter something in order to introduce the former something entails a duty to defend the former something. ( I think Mr Heller would have preferred "latter" instead of my last "former" but I prefer to express myself in a way that doesn't require the reader to make any undue effort.)

So basically you are a Christian attacking Christianity out of felt guilt at your past, I assume, infringements of the Christian sexual morality unless you mount a defence of totalitarianism.

Which, of course, I can easily do using evolution theory.

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 03:15 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

I'm not a genius and I do not have a crystal ball.

If I were to allow neo, an ab. of neologist, the benefit of the doubt I might say that he was using a short-hand for saying that the corny and cliched burlesques you employ are contradictory and they have rendered you confused.

You would not be confused, of course, if you had no contact with the real world or no experience of the burlesques of others and thus cannot have taken the trouble to compare the two with reference to their likeliest outcomes.

Here is Wiki's, that's an ab. of Wikipedia, definition of burlesque.

Quote:
Burlesque is a literary, dramatic or musical work intended to cause laughter by caricaturing the manner or spirit of serious works, or by ludicrous treatment of their subjects. The word derives from the Italian burlesco, which, in turn, is derived from the Italian burla – a joke, ridicule or mockery.

Laughing something off, the bustle for example, is just as good as hunting down all references to it and burning them and stringing up those who make them. It is actually better at getting rid of it.

The western world has proved that the Bible is a serious work although there are some who are not entirely convinced. It was the first ever book printed on the first ever printing press. It has since sold more than any other book printed since, the bulk of which are worthless, and it has been used as the source of quotations and plots more times than any other work of art.

Children's names. It's a serious work.

Laughing that off is not going to be easy and if you were not so confused you would be campaigning to use the other method to get rid of it instead of regaling us with these washed-out, simple, burlesques of yours which only serve the purpose of making you look ridiculous. As they do Setanta.

Somebody is certainly confused if they continually bang their head against a thick wall. In the real world no amount of cheapskate burlesques will shift the Bible or prevent it being treated as a serious work.

There are too many people who have restrained their sexual urges for too many years to have them accept that they did so for nothing. Or, worse, for a sack of bullshit. For something ludicrous. Fools. Had the wool pulled over and missed all the fun.

That those who have allowed their sexual urges a freer run might take a different view is not at all surprising. But why they feel they cannot allow their sexual urges a free run and keep quiet about it, as many politicians have self-evidently managed to do, (i.e. all the ones not in disgrace I mean---well, the men--I wouldn't wish to seem ungallant), rather than flagging it up in public, with pride, is a complete mystery to me unless they believe, and it would be a belief, that everybody having the same fun will cause no harmful effects. Some, not a few, believe there will be benefits and make us more ready and fit to fight our enemies. And in view of the fact that they would have to introduce draconian measures fairly soon after trying the experiment, property taking on the look of a transit camp in fairly short order, as just one example, I dare say they might well take advantage of the regimentation required to get us lean and fit as we would soon be with 6am PT, jogging to our workstations, a Vegan meat and potato pie and a card to watch the Big Mon explain how grateful we ought to be to him for bringing us this paradise.

That's a twee burlesque. The serious work being ridiculed is the regime which does without the Bible.

There are two types of burlesque. One that ridicules something that should be ridiculed, totalitarianism, and one that ridicules something that doesn't deserve to be. Ridiculing the latter something in order to introduce the former something entails a duty to defend the former something. ( I think Mr Heller would have preferred "latter" instead of my last "former" but I prefer to express myself in a way that doesn't require the reader to make any undue effort.)

So basically you are a Christian attacking Christianity out of felt guilt at your past, I assume, infringements of the Christian sexual morality unless you mount a defence of totalitarianism.

Which, of course, I can easily do using evolution theory.

I'm sorry, Spendius, where you saying something?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 04:09 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
The early Jews did not believe in an afterlife.

Perhaps, but the early Christians certainly did what with their references to Hades and Tartarus in the New Testament books, and all of their definitions and cultural implications that the word entails, your dogmatic, rationalizational gymnastics notwithstanding.
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 04:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
The early Jews did not believe in an afterlife.
Perhaps, but the early Christians certainly did what with their references to Hades and Tartarus in the New Testament books, and all of their definitions and cultural implications that the word entails, your dogmatic, rationalizational gymnastics notwithstanding.
For first century Christians, basing their belief on the OT, hades and tartarus had nothing to do with an afterlife, because the Hebrew Aramaic writings do not support that belief. After the death of John, these errors eventually became part of nominal christianity.

For those of us who believe, rightly or wrongly, the Bible to be internally consistent, the teaching of an immortal soul has no place. When you're dead, you're dead.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 04:49 pm
No heaven, either . . . in the King James Version, Luke Chapter 17, verses 20 and 21:

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:01 pm
@Setanta,
I'm pretty sure Jesus' reference to the kingdom was of the government mentioned in Daniel 2:44 that would "crush and put an end to all other kingdoms"
Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:02 pm
@neologist,
I'm pretty sure you're full of horsie poop.
neologist

Reply Wed 3 Jul, 2013 05:07 pm
@Setanta,
Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies