The Bible (a discussion)

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 07:33 am
@Olivier5,
And there is the history that happened and the history as told in tales by expert weavers of the sands of the sea-shores.

What do we know of what happened yesterday from the sources we rely on to tell us?
Olivier5

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 08:28 am
@spendius,
We know that it took less than 300 years for the Christian mind virus to spread through the Roman Empire and beyond, and that it took it only 2 more centuries to reach as far away as China.
neologist

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:36 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
. . . Any god powerful enough to inspire the scriptures would be powerful enough not to ignore or even to inflict capricious and arbitrary suffering on literally billions of humans over the last ten thousand years. Don't drag your superstitious maundering into such a discussion.
Sorry to split up your post. It is all worth consideration. And, while you place no value on the scriptures, they do explain that the entire world has been in the hands of Satan for the last 6000 or so years, that his domination is of limited duration, and that God has promised to undo all his work.
neologist

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:38 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
There is Herstory.
Herstory has been systematically redacted in our sexist society.
spendius

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:39 am
@Olivier5,
Why do you think that was Olivier?

Was the virus, in your esteemed opinion, a pathogen?

spendius

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 10:43 am
@neologist,
I think that your last two posts are inconsistent neo.
Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 11:31 am
@neologist,
No, they don't explain that. That is simply the construction you put on scripture to support what it is that you want to believe. Have you got a basis for your "6000 years or so" claim? Bishop Ussher, perhaps?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 11:41 am
@Setanta,
That's a huge jump of history that Satan took over this planet 6000 years ago.

That's a wild guess when we understand that humans have inhabited this planet for 200,000 years. So, humans never sinned for the first 190,000 years - or so.

No wonder people of religion must have "faith." Their confusion about many things only explains why all religions are man-made.

It also doesn't explain why god/jesus didn't appear until 2000 years ago to save souls.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 11:50 am
Quote:
Olivier said: The gospel is dangerous... It's a mind virus and it mutates often.

Which bit of this is dangerous mate?-
Jesus said: "Love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor" (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25: 37-40)

As for it "often mutating", nah it's been unchanged for 2000 years..Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 11:59 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
That verse doesn't make up for all the other actions of god that killed innocent men, women and children. One doesn't justify the other.

A jealous god is a dangerous one! He lacks the compassion of humanity. You know, power corrupts completely.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:19 pm
@spendius,
I am not trying to cast Christianity as a disease, if that's what you're worried about. My use of the term "mental virus" is not judgmental, it's like when people speak of a "viral video". They don't mean by that that the video is sick, just that it spreads fast.

There are a number of theories for why the christian faith spread so fast, in spite of being persecuted by the empire at times. Whatever the case, they must hsvr done something right...
Olivier5

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:24 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
As for it "often mutating", nah it's been unchanged for 2000 years.

LOL... Thanks for the laugh. How many "heresies" in the meantime?
neologist

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:43 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I think that your last two posts are inconsistent neo.
My response to 'herstory' was simply an attempt to express my long standing word dysphoria.
history - story of ages mankind
herstory - Reason she gives for using your credit card
hermit - male recluse
hismit - female recluse
hernias happen to guys, too.
Stuff like that.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No, they don't explain that. That is simply the construction you put on scripture to support what it is that you want to believe. Have you got a basis for your "6000 years or so" claim? Bishop Ussher, perhaps?
I was limiting myself to recorded history.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 12:50 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
. . . How many "heresies" in the meantime?
Why leave out himesies?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I am not trying to cast Christianity as a disease, if that's what you're worried about. My use of the term "mental virus" is not judgmental, it's like when people speak of a "viral video". They don't mean by that that the video is sick, just that it spreads fast.

C'mon, Olivier...it is almost certain that your use of the term "mental virus" WAS mean to be judgmental...and was meant to be an insult.

Stick to your guns...don't fold like this. It is unseemly. And I doubt anyone who read your original post gives this disavowal any credence at all.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That verse doesn't make up for all the other actions of god that killed innocent men, women and children. One doesn't justify the other.

True.

Quote:

A jealous god is a dangerous one!

If the god is real...I guess it could be. If it is merely a myth...the people who think it is real are the danger.

Quote:

He lacks the compassion of humanity.

Can't get over the fact that anyone living on planet Earth could write that sentence, but obviously you did!

Maybe you were trying for a laugh. If so...you succeeded. If not...well...

Quote:
You know, power corrupts completely.

The people who actually know...know that the expression you were looking for should be "absolute power corrupts absolutely."
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Look, a gnat!
Olivier5

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:16 pm
@neologist,
You've been reading too much of gnostic prose. (note how the Gospel of Thomas speaks of "the father and the mother"... I love that gender neutral god - very modern)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 01:16 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Look, a gnat!

I saw you...and decided to swat.

As usual with gnats, though...you got away.

Okay...go ahead and try to convince people you were not trying to be insulting. I really need the laugh. Golf today was horrible...wind...slight rain...and cold.
0 Replies