The Bible (a discussion)

Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I did play a game, and I won it. And you know it. But you will deny it till the end of time because you're a coward...

What else is new?

What else do you got to say on Moses and the golden calf? 'Cause this was the subject before you interrupted it with your wild guesses about wild guesses...
Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:41 pm
@Olivier5,
Gender, nationality...I'm confused! Has this anything to do with knowledge of theology? Are you somehow insulted by either?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:56 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I did play a game, and I won it. And you know it. But you will deny it till the end of time because you're a coward...

'
I am far from a coward, Olivier...and any win you see is just something your mind dreams up to make your existence a bit more bearable.

Quote:
What else is new?

I broke 90 for the first time this year. It has been very cold here in New Jersey...and we golfers are not getting our games in order quite as quickly as we would like. But I hit the ball straight...and a reasonable distance today...although my putting left lots to be desired. (Greens have been aerated, which does not help.)

Other than that...New Jersey, New York, New Hampshire, New England, Newvada.

Quote:
What else do you got to say on Moses and the golden calf?

What else??? Have I said anything on it. Stop pretending you do not understand the language. You almost certainly are a native speaker of North American English.

Quote:
'Cause this was the subject before you interrupted it with your wild guesses about wild guesses...

I "interrupted" your attempts to assert that there are no gods, Olivier. Such a silly assertion deserves to be interrupted.
spendius

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:01 pm
@Germlat,
I'm not convinced theology has anything to do with anything else other than gender issues. From a theological point of view I don't think nationality is even a category.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:29 pm
@Olivier5,
Thanks for the good laugh for today. Mr. Green Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 06:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What's wrong with asserting that there are no gods, Frank?
Germlat

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 06:31 pm
@spendius,
Wow...remarkable take. I'm interested. Everything to do with gender...nothing to do with nationality.. Are we still talking about the same thing?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 06:36 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

What's wrong with asserting that there are no gods, Frank?

It cannot logically be done, Olivier.
neologist

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 06:55 pm
@spendius,
Actually, headship issues, or sovereignty
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 07:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Logic? That old blind guess?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 03:35 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Logic? That old blind guess?

You've run out of nonsense...and are going into absurdity already?

Oh, damn. I thought I could toy with you for much longer.

Actually, if you would read my older posts, I have argued that we cannot really KNOW anything (that everything ultimately is a guess) but that we can, in order not to descend into nonsense and babble, agree that "know" (the absence of guessing) can be applied to everyday living. I can, for the sake of non-nonsense assert that I exist and am at my keyboard typing when typing this sentence; that the name on my birth certificate is Frank Apisa; that I live in New Jersey, USA; that I enjoy playing golf, going to plays...and that sort of thing.

But you appear to want to wallow in absurdity...so I will just enjoy watching you squirm.

BUT HERE ARE A COUPLE OF GUESSES: On your birth certificate, it shows you are female...and an American or Canadian. And probably Olivier is not included...you don't seem to have the guts to be that truthful.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 05:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Funniest post in tears... where do I start?

FYI, my "wallowing" is all yours. I am just offering you your caricature.... "everything is a guess" is indeed your one and only philosophy.

I don't know what you call "everyday life". Sounds like a cop-out for intellectual cowards... Is that the same thing as "life"? As far as I can see I have only one life, and if I post, I do it about that everyday life, not about "everyday death" or "every night life" or whatever you imagine as not being "everyday life".

People are entitled to their opinion. I'll keep on saying there is no god. You keep on fantacizing on Canadian women.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 06:03 am
@Olivier5,
In Years...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 09:24 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Funniest post in tears... where do I start?

Always start at the beginning, Olivier. You really shouldn't have to ask that question.

Glad you found my post funny. I find yours hilarious. We are in a win/win situation here.

Quote:
FYI, my "wallowing" is all yours. I am just offering you your caricature.... "everything is a guess" is indeed your one and only philosophy.

At some point you really have to learn how to cut and paste...so you can quote rather than make stuff up. When you argue against nonsense you make up yourself...you give yourself too great an advantage. Your stuff is so easy to argue against.

You do "wallow" Olivier. You wallow in nonsense...and now you are wallowing in absurdity. Does that meet some need in your life?

Quote:
I don't know what you call "everyday life".

I can help you with that. I call everyday life..."everyday life."

Quote:
Sounds like a cop-out for intellectual cowards...

No it doesn't. You just wanted to work the words "intellectual cowards" into your post...and you apparently were not clever enough to do it in a reasonable way. Wink

Quote:
Is that the same thing as "life"?

Could be. Do modifiers bother you?

Why do you allow me to disturb you as easily and often as you do?

Quote:
As far as I can see I have only one life, and if I post, I do it about that everyday life, not about "everyday death" or "every night life" or whatever you imagine as not being "everyday life".

Wow...you really had to stretch here. Unfortunately, you still didn't reach whatever you were reaching for. Wink

Quote:
People are entitled to their opinion.

They certainly are.

Quote:
I'll keep on saying there is no god.

Well, if you just walk around saying it...people are going to start looking at you as though you are a kook. So try to ease back.

Anyway...when you say it here...I will remind you that your assertion is a blind guess.

Quote:
You keep on fantacizing on Canadian women.

If you don't mind, I'll just fantasize that you will learn how to spell "fantasizing."

You are a female, right?

And the notion of you being French rather than American (or Canadian)...is really more a ruse than the truth...right?

C'mon...you can tell us. We'll all still love you.

neologist

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:37 am
There will be no recess for anybody until this thread takes a more civil tone!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 11:52 am
@Germlat,
Code:Gender, nationality...I'm confused! Has this anything to do with knowledge of theology? Are you somehow insulted by either?

I am not insulted; just showing to Frank that by his own standards, everything is a guess... I have no clue why Frank chose to focus the example on my nationality and gender. As Spendi put it, he may short of things to worry about.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 12:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I will remind you that your assertion is a blind guess.

And I will remind you that everything is, by your standard, even your guesses about what constitutes guesses...

Tell you what. Why don't you avoid all this nonsense and just mentally insert a "IMO" before anything I post? As a matter of fact, I usually post my opinion on stuff, rather than the opinion of somebody else... Contrary to appearances, I am not a god, and I am not omniscient... :-) Everything I say here and everywhere else, is just my opinion. My guess and only my guess. And of course the same applies to you and to everybody else. So stop wasting your time with pointing at guesses. There are just too many guesses, and to few fingers to point at them.

Quote:
Quote:

Do you always avoid difficult questions?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 01:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I will remind you that your assertion is a blind guess.

And I will remind you that everything is, by your standard, even your guesses about what constitutes guesses...

Tell you what. Why don't you avoid all this nonsense and just mentally insert a "IMO" before anything I post? As a matter of fact, I usually post my opinion on stuff, rather than the opinion of somebody else... Contrary to appearances, I am not a god, and I am not omniscient... :-) Everything I say here and everywhere else, is just my opinion. My guess and only my guess. And of course the same applies to you and to everybody else. So stop wasting your time with pointing at guesses. There are just too many guesses, and to few fingers to point at them.

Is there a god?

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Do you always avoid difficult questions?

I never do. Do you? Because I have asked several...that you have avoided like the plague.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 01:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Is there a god?

No would be my guess. In any case, I don;t believe in an interventionist god. Therefore my interpretation of Exodus is purely natural, excluding the miraculous and magicalnothing magical in it.

Quote:
I never do.

Ok so answer my question then. What is "everyday life"? Is it different from "life", and if yes, how?

I should explain why I am asking this. If you are going to use a different truth standard in "everyday life" from "non-everyday life", then you must unambiguously define "everyday life" so that you and we know what standard of truth of yours to use in which case...

If not, you can just use the standard you like best, e.g. apply to me the impossibly high "everything is a guess" standard, and to you the easy-going "everyday life" standard... And that's precisely how you maintain the convenient illusion that others are just guessing while you are not... You're just lowering the bar for yourself.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 03:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Is there a god?

No would be my guess. In any case, I don;t believe in an interventionist god. Therefore my interpretation of Exodus is purely natural, excluding the miraculous and magicalnothing magical in it.

So...you blindly guess there is no god...and you also blindly guess there is no interventionist god.

And you consider the writings of superstitious, relatively unsophisticated, relatively unknowledgeable ancient Hebrews to be unreliable.

Wow!

Quote:
Quote:
I never do.

Ok so answer my question then. What is "everyday life"? Is it different from "life", and if yes, how?

There is no difference...except for the wording.

Quote:
I should explain why I am asking this. If you are going to use a different truth standard in "everyday life" from "non-everyday life", then you must unambiguously define "everyday life" so that you and we know what standard of truth of yours to use in which case...

Thank you for your "explanation"...and for your gratuitous demand of what I must do.

Quote:
If not, you can just use the standard you like best, e.g. apply to me the impossibly high "everything is a guess" standard, and to you the easy-going "everyday life" standard... And that's precisely how you maintain the convenient illusion that others are just guessing while you are not... You're just lowering the bar for yourself.

What I am doing in part, Olivier...is to enjoy myself at your expense. You take yourself so seriously, it does provide entertainment.

By the way, I never maintain that others are guessing and I am not. I guess often...and identify my guesses as guesses. People like you try to pass off your guesses as something else.

How about answering my questions now.

You are a female...not a male, right?

And you would be closer to the truth to describe yourself as an American (or Canadian) than a Frenchman...right?