The Bible (a discussion)

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 07:32 pm
@Olivier5,
Verse 19 Stipulated that the lord God had formed the animals, what he did now was bring them to the man. I propose a slight adjustment to your chronology

Man is created
Animal is brought to man
Woman is created
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 08:18 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo, you're missing the point of Jesus words. He wasn't condemning them for their study, he was rebuking them for rejecting him in spite of it.
Knowing and liking Jesus means nothing if you do not follow that up with action, an idea that many christian's today would prefer to reject.

I prefer to take the advice of the Psalmist in Psalms 1:1-3

For a holy man you appear to be incredibly keen to ignore and/or discredit a large portion of the bible. What you have to realise is that those of the A2k Christian community that are questioning your assertions and pointing out where something you quote or paraphrase contradicts other portions of the bible are not challenging or rejecting Jesus words, but rather your interpretation of them. If multiple interpretations exist, I would personally opt for the one that was cohesive with the rest of the bible, but each to their own Smile

P.S I not awfully keen on the translations of profiteer evangelists "with notes" I find they have a strong trend towards translation bias, I also don't like the idea of lining Ray Comforts pockets, the man has made a fortune from selling his literature, I imagine if Jesus were about now he'd be flipping tables.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:23 am
@Smileyrius,
Your argument hinges upon the use of some equivalent of the past perfect tense in the original Hebrew text of verses 8 and 19 of Genesis 2. According to you, these verses (about plants and animals creation, respectively) come after Adam’s creation in the text, but would refer to anterior events. Some sort of flashback. And to your credit, the New International Version (NIV) I quoted until now uses the past perfect “the Lord God had formed…"

But that is only one translation among many. To stick to something as close as possible to the original, I looked at the best literal translation I know of, that of the Masoretic text by Chabad.org. And loh and behold, no use of a past perfect in verses 8 and 19. And thus, no hint of a “flashback” in the original Hebrew text:

Quote:
Genesis 2:
4. These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created, on the day that the Lord God made earth and heaven.
5. Now no tree of the field was yet on the earth, neither did any herb of the field yet grow, because the Lord God had not brought rain upon the earth, and there was no man to work the soil.
6. And a mist ascended from the earth and watered the entire surface of the ground.
7. And the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and He breathed into his nostrils the soul of life, and man became a living soul.
8. And the Lord God planted a garden in Eden from the east, and He placed there the man whom He had formed.
9. And the Lord God caused to sprout from the ground every tree pleasant to see and good to eat, and the Tree of Life in the midst of the garden, and the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil.
10. And a river flowed out of Eden to water the garden, and from there it separated and became four heads.
11. The name of one is Pishon; that is the one that encompasses all the land of Havilah, where there is gold.
12. And the gold of that land is good; there is the crystal and the onyx stone.
13. And the name of the second river is Gihon; that is the one that encompasses all the land of Cush.
14. And the name of the third river is Tigris; that is the one that flows to the east of Assyria, and the fourth river that is the Euphrates.
15. Now the Lord God took the man, and He placed him in the Garden of Eden to work it and to guard it.
16. And the Lord God commanded man, saying, "Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat.
17. But of the Tree of Knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat of it, for on the day that you eat thereof, you shall surely die."
18. And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man is alone; I shall make him a helpmate opposite him."
19. And the Lord God formed from the earth every beast of the field and every fowl of the heavens, and He brought [it] to man to see what he would call it, and whatever the man called each living thing, that was its name.
20. And man named all the cattle and the fowl of the heavens and all the beasts of the field, but for man, he did not find a helpmate opposite him.
21. And the Lord God caused a deep sleep to fall upon man, and he slept, and He took one of his sides, and He closed the flesh in its place.
22. And the Lord God built the side that He had taken from man into a woman, and He brought her to man.
23. And man said, "This time, it is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. This one shall be called ishah (woman) because this one was taken from ish (man)."

And yet, Rashi's commentary (available on the Chabad site) agrees with you:

Quote:
Now if you ask: It has already been stated (above 1:27): “And He created man, etc.!” I saw in the Baraitha of Rabbi Eliezer the son of Rabbi Jose the Galilean concerning the thirty-two principles by which the Torah is expounded, and this is one of them [method 13]: A general statement followed by a specific act, the latter constitutes a specific [clarification] of the first [general statement]. “And He created man.” This is a general statement. It left obscure whence he was created, and it left His deeds obscure [i.e., how God created man]. The text repeats and explains: “And the Lord God formed, etc.,” and He made the Garden of Eden grow for him, and He placed him in the Garden of Eden, and He caused a deep sleep to fall upon him. The listener may think that this is another story, but it is only the detailed account of the former. Likewise, in the case of the animal, Scripture repeats and writes (below verse 19): “And the Lord God formed from the ground all the beasts of the field,” in order to explain, “and He brought [them] to man” to name them, and to teach about the fowl, that they were created from the mud.

I find it a bit casuistic, if that's a word. In any cases, it's an interpretation, an exegesis using one of "the thirty-two principles by which the Torah is expounded". The NIV reflects that interpretation too, but that's not what the text says...
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 08:42 am
Quote:
Smileyrius said: Romeo, you're missing the point of Jesus words...I prefer to take the advice of the Psalmist in Psalms 1:1-3

Who saves, Jesus or the Psalmist or anybody else?..Wink
A clue for you-
Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:29 am
@Olivier5,
Your critique is well received my friend.

Without a chronological binder, the lack of a past perfect in verses 8 and 19 is not really an issue. As a rule, the writings of Genesis are tied heavily to chronology and order, yet no such binding is found in chapter 2, perhaps due to the nature of the narrative being entirely past tense.

I acknowledge that your concerns are valid however I don't consider it a condemning article.
neologist

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:32 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You do understand the words of Psalm 1, don't you? They do not contradict Jesus at all. They contradict you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:38 am
@Olivier5,
I should add to Smiley's comment that vs 4, by collecting all the 6 days into one, permits the "flashback", as you refer to it. This is in addition to the obvious conclusion that the writer is not referring to solar days.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 09:41 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo, I do not purchase that you are as foolish as the character you portray.
Your postulation that I have any disrespect for the words of Jesus is invalid and rather obtuse.

a word quoted without context is a weapon that can be used to accomplish nought but your own will.

So answer me this, How much of the bible is wrong?
Krumple

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:10 am
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:
So answer me this, How much of the bible is wrong?

It pretty much got some of the names of some locations right. Everything else is nonsense.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:18 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
I acknowledge that your concerns are valid however I don't consider it a condemning article.

I don't "condemn" anything, just pointing at contradictions in the text, which suggest a purely human origin.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 10:27 am
@Olivier5,
Please understand I wasn't suggesting that you condemned a thing, rather that the text was not a solid (condemning) contradiction.
My point was that it requires interpretation to assert contradiction, just as it is by interpretation that I see no contradiction. We are all slave to our preconceived bias, one of us will probably be right.

Krumple, you made me chuckle, Ill give you that.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:07 pm
@Smileyrius,
At the very least, you will concede that for a divinely inspired text, it lacks precision, consistency and clarity. It's the same thing for many other concepts and narratives. Eg the 10 commandments for which there are also several versions.
Krumple

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 12:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

At the very least, you will concede that for a divinely inspired text, it lacks precision, consistency and clarity. It's the same thing for many other concepts and narratives. Eg the 10 commandments for which there are also several versions.

It's just that there are multiple versions but there are far more important ideas missing.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 05:36 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: You do understand the words of Psalm 1, don't you? They do not contradict Jesus at all. They contradict you.

Sorry mate, I haven't a clue why you and Smileyrius quoted Psalm 1: 1-3, here it is in full, what are you getting at?

1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 06:51 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Id explain it, but you probably wouldn't get it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:22 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Perhaps if you focus on verse 2, that might help.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 07:25 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Quote:

It's [not] just that there are multiple versions but there are far more important ideas missing.

I suppose there would always been some missing idea in a short list f commandments, but what are you referring to?
Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 03:53 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I suppose there would always been some missing idea in a short list f commandments, but what are you referring to?

Well before I get into answering that. I just want to explain how I think the whole story of the 10 commandments is so convoluted and it is clear they were thought up by a human and had NO god intervene what-so-ever.

So Moses supposedly goes up a mountain alone? Sounds like an excuse to hide something. "Hang on a minute guys, let me just go up there by myself for a little bit, I'll be right back."

So while he is up there he is having an interaction with god? Really? It doesn't make any sense. If this god is all knowing it would have known that even after dictating the commandments, once Moses returns to the base of the mountain he is just going to destroy them, so what would be the point in going through with creating them? But once again that didn't happen. It narrows the possible explanations down to just a few.

1. Either Moses made the whole thing up and he personally created the commandments himself. But why pretend as if a god dictated them to him? Because he needs something to empower them. If everyone knew he created them, they could be challenged but if he pretends a god created them, no one can challenge them.

2. This god is reactionary and has no ability to know the future events at all. This god would therefore not be all knowing but limited in scope to future events. This seems to be a reoccurring theme too in the bible. There are many places where god reacts to the situation as if he had no clue it was going to happen. Another good example of this is the Adam and Eve story. If he was all knowing then he HAD to know they were going to sin long before he even created them. Yet he pretends as if he is shocked they sinned against him. The tower of Babel is another reactionary story as well.

3. The whole thing is made up. There was no Moses and there is no god. It is just a way to try to slip in some laws and rules for naive Jews to follow or be murdered for disobeying them. This one sounds like the most plausible because of how the narrative plays out. Once Moses returns he witnesses a bunch of his people worshiping a golden cow? Really? They are so eager to worship something they just go through the process of constructing a golden cow? The story seems so contrived.

They had all the tools and equipment to construct a golden cow? They had all the materials there with them at the base of the mountain? How long was Moses gone? I find it funny that these people were so eager to be worshiping something that they immediately sprang into action creating a golden cow. Think about it. Even if Moses had been gone for months, how long after he was gone did they all of a sudden start wanting something to worship?

They would have had to have a small village set up at the base of this mountain for them to even have the ability to create a golden cow. Did they just have the gold on hand to spare too? It is obvious the story is contrived. Then on top of that Moses's reaction to seeing them worshiping the cow, so he destroys the commandments? Really? You just got done having a meeting with god over the establishment of some rules and then you destroy them because you can't stand to see your stupid people are so eager to be worshiping something.

It is clear the story is a fabrication.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 05:18 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Well before I get into answering that. I just want to explain how I think the whole story of the 10 commandments is so convoluted and it is clear they were thought up by a human and had NO god intervene what-so-ever.

So Moses supposedly goes up a mountain alone? Sounds like an excuse to hide something. "Hang on a minute guys, let me just go up there by myself for a little bit, I'll be right back."

So while he is up there he is having an interaction with god? Really? It doesn't make any sense. If this god is all knowing it would have known that even after dictating the commandments, once Moses returns to the base of the mountain he is just going to destroy them, so what would be the point in going through with creating them? But once again that didn't happen. It narrows the possible explanations down to just a few.

1. Either Moses made the whole thing up and he personally created the commandments himself. But why pretend as if a god dictated them to him? Because he needs something to empower them. If everyone knew he created them, they could be challenged but if he pretends a god created them, no one can challenge them.

2. This god is reactionary and has no ability to know the future events at all. This god would therefore not be all knowing but limited in scope to future events. This seems to be a reoccurring theme too in the bible. There are many places where god reacts to the situation as if he had no clue it was going to happen. Another good example of this is the Adam and Eve story. If he was all knowing then he HAD to know they were going to sin long before he even created them. Yet he pretends as if he is shocked they sinned against him. The tower of Babel is another reactionary story as well.

3. The whole thing is made up. There was no Moses and there is no god. It is just a way to try to slip in some laws and rules for naive Jews to follow or be murdered for disobeying them. This one sounds like the most plausible because of how the narrative plays out. Once Moses returns he witnesses a bunch of his people worshiping a golden cow? Really? They are so eager to worship something they just go through the process of constructing a golden cow? The story seems so contrived.

They had all the tools and equipment to construct a golden cow? They had all the materials there with them at the base of the mountain? How long was Moses gone? I find it funny that these people were so eager to be worshiping something that they immediately sprang into action creating a golden cow. Think about it. Even if Moses had been gone for months, how long after he was gone did they all of a sudden start wanting something to worship?

They would have had to have a small village set up at the base of this mountain for them to even have the ability to create a golden cow. Did they just have the gold on hand to spare too? It is obvious the story is contrived. Then on top of that Moses's reaction to seeing them worshiping the cow, so he destroys the commandments? Really? You just got done having a meeting with god over the establishment of some rules and then you destroy them because you can't stand to see your stupid people are so eager to be worshiping something.

Nearly as I can see...the best possible guess about the Bible is that it is fiction and myth.

For you to suggest it is "clear" is another self-serving assertion. What you want to be so...you simply declare as so..

That is what the theist do.

You are behaving as unreasonably as a theist...simply coming to different conclusions.
Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 06:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Krumple wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:

Nearly as I can see...the best possible guess about the Bible is that it is fiction and myth.

For you to suggest it is "clear" is another self-serving assertion. What you want to be so...you simply declare as so..

That is what the theist do.

You are behaving as unreasonably as a theist...simply coming to different conclusions.

I notice you have this constant need to say essentially "Na ahh" on just about every single post that is made on this forum relating to anything remotely philosophical.

If someone said **** stinks, you would feel the need to reply that they couldn't possibly know that **** stinks. It becomes so obnoxious it makes me wonder if you are able to reason anything.

To me it starts to seem that any time there is a distinction to be made you make sure not to be a part of any distinction. Even if it contradicts your position you'll still claim not to be a part of that distinction. It has nothing to do with logic or reason you just don't like categories or claims of any kind.

You are not a theist but you are not an atheist, you are not agnostic. All of those can't be true but of course you magically like to think it can.

Or you can just continue being obnoxious.. up to you..