The Bible (a discussion)

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:33 pm
@neologist,
You're not paying attention. I don't pay any attention to that lowlife scumbag Frank. This was the post of yours to which i was replying It would probably help at this point to remind you that i do not buy that ludicrous proposition that the bobble is a cohesive, self-referential whole. Therefore, there is no way you can convince me that any part of Genesis intentionally refers to a messiah to come.
neologist

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Neo...THE POINT OF THE STORY IS THAT THE god IS REFUSING TO GIVE THEM THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL...OF RIGHT AND WRONG.

That is central to the story.
. . .
If your god is anywhere near as "fair" as you suggest...you could easily acknowledge that the story of Adam and Eve in the garden...and the punishment meted out... is ABSURD.

Can it be that you just do not trust the god?
What you are descrbing is 2 people with perfect consciences, not needing to evaluate every moral choice who chose to discard the standards progammed by God

Sorry battery dead
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 03:59 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
. . . you do start with question begging because of this need to believe that you will never die. This is a poor position to begin an investigation of the veracity of the basis of your beliefs.

This is your assertion. I do not need to know any such thing any more than you or I need to know the truth.

Well, you did write that, of course, the idea that God's promise of Genesis 1:28, that humans could live forever gave you reason to inquire deeply.
neologist wrote:
blue wrote:
Or more precisely, some things may be explained by careful examination of your interpretations of what the Bible says to conform to your question begging, as in your example of what Genesis “really” says

I challenge any believer or naysayer to dispute the interpretations I have advanced. Don't see many believers willing to enter this arena, though.

You have been continually challenged throughout the years on many threads here by both believers and non-believers. These challenges make it plain that your interpretations are merely one amongst various ones. That you don’t accept other interpretations is another matter.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:04 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You should be penitent at the altar rails thanking God you were not born in Ancient Rome.

Does anybody here fancy swapping places with a Roman Emperor? I certainly don't.

My guess is you would do it in an instant. Especially if the emperor were Caligula or Nero.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:05 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

You made no case whatsoever. (Tautology for emphasis.)

Yeah, I actually did.

Quote:
You haven't the faintest idea of how to get to here from any point you want in old Rome in the absence of wishful thinking.

What the hell is that supposed to mean? Have you been drinking?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:06 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
Neo...THE POINT OF THE STORY IS THAT THE god IS REFUSING TO GIVE THEM THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL...OF RIGHT AND WRONG.

. . .
If your god is anywhere near as "fair" as you suggest...you could easily acknowledge that the story of Adam and Eve in the garden...and the punishment meted out... is ABSURD.

What you are descrbing is 2 people with perfect consciences, not needing to evaluate every moral choice who chose to discard the standards progammed by God

Sorry battery dead

So you are afraid the god is not all that fair???
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:08 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You're not paying attention. I don't pay any attention to that lowlife scumbag Frank. This was the post of yours to which i was replying It would probably help at this point to remind you that i do not buy that ludicrous proposition that the bobble is a cohesive, self-referential whole. Therefore, there is no way you can convince me that any part of Genesis intentionally refers to a messiah to come.

Ohhh...Jabba off his feed! Wink
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

My guess is you would do it in an instant. Especially if the emperor were Caligula or Nero.

Oh, I don't know, Frank. Neither one of them ended up well. I certainly wouldn't want to be assassinated by my own body-guards or be forced to commit suicide. Marcus Aurelius now...maybe.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:09 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

. . .

Sorry battery dead

How the hell could they have "perfect" consciences...if they did not even know the difference between right and wrong...between good and evil?

Why are you playing this game?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 04:10 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Oh, I don't know, Frank. Neither one of them ended up well. I certainly wouldn't want to be assassinated by my own body-guards or be forced to commit suicide. Marcus Aurelius now...maybe.

You, I could see as Marcus Aurelius, Andy.

Spendius...more like Nero.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Yeah, I actually did.

All you said was that you think we could have got to where we are centuries before we did if Christianity had not held us back.

That's it. You think we could have done. Nothing to back it up. Nothing even offered. No reason to offer anything because what FA thinks is the last word on everything.

You made the case that what you think is what you think. No other.

The Romans executed the Man who pointed the way to getting here from there.

You really should knock off trying to parlez tabloid journalese simplicities into philosophical cogitation.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:09 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

The Romans executed a man who had nothing whatever to do with establishing a religion which today bears a part of his name. His honorific, really, rather than his name. 'Christ' -- the 'annointed one' -- was no part of the name of Yeshua bar Yusup of Nazareth.
BillW

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

The Romans executed a man who had nothing whatever to do with establishing a religion which today bears a part of his name. His honorific, really, rather than his name. 'Christ' -- the 'annointed one' -- was no part of the name of Yeshua bar Yusup of Nazareth.

You mean the one that was the child of Doris Day?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:13 pm
@BillW,
Who was it that said, "I knew Doris Day way back before she became a virgin"?
spendius

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:

Clutch at straws Andy. But don't think some of us don't know you're doing it.
BillW

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Who was it that said, "I knew Doris Day way back before she became a virgin"?

That would be Joseph

(Oscar Levant )
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:34 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Yeah, I actually did.

All you said was that you think we could have got to where we are centuries before we did if Christianity had not held us back.

That's it. You think we could have done. Nothing to back it up. Nothing even offered. No reason to offer anything because what FA thinks is the last word on everything.

You made the case that what you think is what you think. No other.

You really should knock off trying to parlez tabloid journalese simplicities into philosophical cogitation.

Jeez...imagine giving opinions on the Internet.

What is life coming to.

Here lemme give one like you would:

_____ (any obscure author of philosopher) mentioned that______(any piece of non-appropriate nonsense) so therefore Jane Austen must_____(damn near anything.)

So...is that better?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 05:35 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Clutch at straws Andy. But don't think some of us don't know you're doing it.

Oh, Andy. He found you out. You are typing at a keyboard....right?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 06:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
You're right. That's what I get for trying to manage posts on my cell phone. I understand you don't believe the Bible to b internally consistent. But I was hoping that you would honor my belief that it is and consider my asseverations accordingly. If I wasn't 100% sure that the first 3 chapters of Genesis contains more wisdom than can be found in the churches of christendom, I wouldn't keep coming back to it. BTW, I keep looking for those nominal christians to hop into the arena.

So many lions. So little time . . .
neologist

Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2013 07:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
. . . you do start with question begging because of this need to believe that you will never die. This is a poor position to begin an investigation of the veracity of the basis of your beliefs.
This is your assertion. I do not need to know any such thing any more than you or I need to know the truth.
Well, you did write that, of course, the idea that God's promise of Genesis 1:28, that humans could live forever gave you reason to inquire deeply.
There is a huge difference between curiosity and need. I was quite comfortable with the license afforded by my agnosticism and did not give it up easily.
InfraBlue wrote:

neologist wrote:
I challenge any believer or naysayer to dispute the interpretations I have advanced. Don't see many believers willing to enter this arena, though.
You have been continually challenged throughout the years on many threads here by both believers and non-believers. These challenges make it plain that your interpretations are merely one amongst various ones. That you don’t accept other interpretations is another matter.
Obviously I have failed in your case and in the case of others as well. But you and Ros and Set are among the most articulate (and hard headed) of naysayers. OK, Frank too. But steel sharpens steel. I'm not about to go away. BTW, the believers seem to have fled the arena.
0 Replies