What are your pet peeves re English usage?

SCoates

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 05:57 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I never say "Good morning." Sounds too much like a weather forecast or, at the very least, voicing an unwarranted opinion. "Morning," is accurate; "Good morning" is presumtuous.

Sorry, I'm grabbing this conversation from a while ago, but I think it's about the same as "God bless you." I thought, "Who am I addressing, God or you?" Someone here suggested that a "may" was intimated. "May God bless you."

In the same way, "May you have a good morning" is the intention.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:32 pm
Piffka wrote:
Yes, JTT, I remain unconvinced, one who prefers the old and dusty to the new and radical. What I read from C.-J. Nice Bailey was embolded material covering large tracts of grammatical real estate. The paragraphs covering I/me usage based this new rule mainly on Bailey's assessment of which language played the strongest role in forming current English.

I understand many people use "me" or "myself" as a direct object. <shrug> I don't and I advise any students who will be taking standardized tests to be careful before following JTT's advice.</quote>

My advice isn't pointed at people who take tests, Piffka. If you believe that's a good reason to learn a language, well, that says it all.

When your teacher tells you the world is flat, you'd better remember that for your standardized test.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2005 10:54 pm
Quote:
Interesting that you should equate generally accepted standard useage as pedantry, JTT. By that standard, virtually all rules can be ignored, dismissed as mere pedantry, and consigned to the dustbin of archaic vernacular. It is, I think, quite irrelevant what the linguistic lineage of a particular grammatical rule may be -- French, German, Latin or even Celtic. The relevant point is that it is a rule which has stood the test of time rather well.

No, Andrew, the point is,

"Consider the possibility that English grammar has been misanalysed for centuries because of grammarians' accepting fundamentally flawed assumptions about grammar and, not least, because of a flawed view of the history of English; and that these failings have resulted in a huge disconnect between English grammars and the genius of the English that really exists among educated native-speakers."

The rule that I suspect you're referring to, [it is I] is not at all standard. It never was standard. It was written by some folks who mistakenly applied rules of Latin to English, something that you state is "quite irrelevant".

Both [it is I] and [it is me] exist in English, have for a good long time. One is more formal, Piffka's choice [the former] but that doesn't make the other wrong. What's wrong is touting rules that never were just because they have some history. "flat world" had a history too.

Quote:
Certainly, language is an evolving phoenomenon and what our grandparents may have considered improper is quite accepted today. I still remember being told in school that one should never end a sentence with a preposition. When I wanted to know why, the teacher had no adequate explanation. That proscription has long gone out of style. It was a silly rule, with no logical justification. This is not the case with the me:I, him:he, them:they etc. rule. It simply makes good sense to the Anglo-Saxon ear.

For someone who demands and maintains such high standards of proof, you have certainly come up with a doozer, Andrew; "It simply makes good sense to the Anglo-Saxon ear".

Quote:
There is no formal declension of nouns and pronouns in English as there is in most other Indo-European languages. But the two simple cases of Nominative and Objective are well-established. And, again, the distinction has stood the test of time well. I can see no discernible reason for allowing a divergence from the rule now. It is a concession to laziness on the part of learners, no more, no less.

Oh, it has, has it? How is it that we use 'you' for both singular and plural. And horrors of horror, we use the plural verb 'are' with singular 'you'.

As the linguist, John Lawler says, English has, like a snake, been shedding case for centuries.

In order to find discernible reasons you have to check a bit further than believing things your grade school grammar teacher told you. They and your grandparents, parents, now you, were all fed the same old lies. Most of these bits of folklore go back a ways.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 07:33 am
Today's peeve - NEW BEGINNINGS. Whoever heard of old ones?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
Right on, Clary. Goes in the same bin with free gifts, false pretences and personal opinions. Redundancies peeve me, too, no end.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 04:02 pm
And true facts.

Not sure about personal opinions nor false pretences, though. There are instance where they make sense.

New innovation, I've heard that used. Clumsy.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 04:13 pm
very unique is redundant, but I'm with McTag on your examples, Andrew. Personal opinion simply means "in my opinion".
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:43 pm
Pet peeves which really annoy me, and they have been previously mentioned in this forum, are the incorrect use of 'your' in place of 'you are' and 'then' instead of 'than'.
It also annoys me when people use the word 'much' incorrectly: "How much kilometres to the baseball game?"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Feb, 2005 06:47 pm
Well, yes, Letty and McT. But ask yourself, whose other opinions could one have except personal ones? And as for "false pretenses", I've never heard of any other kind. Pretenses are false by definition.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 04:48 am
Letty - "very unique" - aaaarrrgh! (I agree with you).

Also, after the tsunami, the word "epicentre" was used correctly, for once. Too often, it is used as an amplified version of "centre".

KP
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:39 am
After a quiet spell, the pedants return in full force.

Very unique -

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
CGEL: There has been a prescriptive tradition that such adjectives are non-gradable, ... <unique> is especially picked on ... .Gradability itself is not an all-or-nothing matter.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There are many English words that appear to be 'absolute's but that are, in fact, modified. <unique> is not unique in this way. It "has acquired the sense "exceptional, unusual", which quite readily accepts degree modification: this rather unique situation, the most unique person I've ever met".

The <very> in very unique is an intensifier. It doesn't grade unique though unique is gradable. It's like <most unique>. This use doesn't suggest that something is "the most" in the superlative sense, it only adds emphasis.

-----------------------------------

'New beginnings' has a figurative meaning that goes beyond beginnings. Every day there are beginnings, each new breath is a beginning, but they don't qualify as the special beginnings noted by this usage.

-------------------------------------

Many technical, literal words words in English find their way to figurative meanings. Epicenter is one such word. There is nothing in language that compels us to keep the identical meaning when we are seeking to create a nuance.

You can kick the bucket or you can kick the bucket.

Something 'moot' can be both up for debate or not worthy of debate.

The genius of language is there if you look closely enough. If you're satisfied with repeating the opinions of wags who haven't bothered to research deeply enough, then you end up with these canards.

Words perceived as redundancies are often no more than intensifiers. We are free to use our language to effect.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 06:51 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Well, yes, Letty and McT. But ask yourself, whose other opinions could one have except personal ones? And as for "false pretenses", I've never heard of any other kind. Pretenses are false by definition.

You could share the opinion of others. Then clearly, it isn't your personal opinion.

False pretenses has a more specialized legal meaning. That doesn't however, prevent us from borrowing such words for more mundane uses.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 08:28 am

My pet hate: the misuse of who

To whom should i give this?
NOT TO WHO!!!!!!!
I'm not quite as bad as one of my friends, who will cheerfully leap across a room to strangle somebody when they use "who" rather than the dative case Wink
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 09:00 am
Welcome, Bekaboo and (if I haven't done so already) to JTT.

I'm pretty flexible on the use of who/whom - "who should I give this to?" is not something which makes my hair stand on end.

Nonetheless, I'm not quite as laissez-faire as JTT.

Great to have you both on board, to keep us from getting stuck on our same hobby-horses.

KP
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 09:02 am
Duplicate Post Removed
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:25 pm
JTT, your English is apparently a bit in advance of mine, and I am not comfortable with some of the positions you take. I suspect you are a professional in this field, and I of course am merely a humble user. But I do not agree for example with your statement about the meaning of "unique".
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 12:33 pm
Besides, JTT, lighten up - this is one place we can voice our peeves without being lambasted as doddering reactionaries with no sense of the evolution of language!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 01:22 pm
Jtt either subscribes to Structural grammar or Transformational grammar.
(I think it was the use of "intensifier" that clued me in.<smile>)

Actually, JTT, I agree with you on many points.

Incidentally, Clary. "...stole into the cuvert of the woods...." was from Romeo and Juliet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 03:20 pm
I don't think pretenses are necessarily false.

She used the pretense of a dropped handkerchief to strike up a conversation.

He used the pretense of a cup of coffee to flirt with the clerk at 9/11.

In the first example, the handkerchief dropping may not have been accidental--but the lady in question turned the courteous gesture into a conversation.

In the second example, he could well have wanted the coffee as well as the conversation.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 9 Feb, 2005 04:38 pm
Clary wrote:
Besides, JTT, lighten up - this is one place we can voice our peeves without being lambasted as doddering reactionaries with no sense of the evolution of language!

This is a "right" that a language professional should have, that a language professional should ascribe to, Clary. And others, well let's just let them repeat the same old canards over and over. Sorry, this line of reasoning escapes me.
0 Replies