What are your pet peeves re English usage?

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 08:17 am
Coulis yer boots, both of you!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 09:55 am
You know you are funny ones? Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:26 am
...and why do they say 'pan fried'?

...and why do they say shavings instread of grated?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:15 pm
yes, pan fried - where do they think other people fry things? In their hats? Shoes? Toilet bowls?
Oven roasted...
And I still hate Barbeque - insist on pronouncing it 'barbeek'.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 12:26 pm
You are all so fussy... I fear to speak or write around you; do you forgive the occasional lapse?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 01:48 pm
You don't have to be mean and nasty here, but if you are, it helps.

No seriously though....

My last boss kept using the phrase "is predicated on"....people who use dots when they can't finish a sentence or think of a segue...anyone ever played Bullshit Bingo? Great way of combating boredom at staff meetings.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:09 pm
My dots are conversational. They mean "I've paused to think a moment." Very Happy

Don't know Bullshit Bingo, but I remember one job that had a list of excuses. Instead of bothering with the entire excuse, you'd use the number. Example, #89 might be "Late because of awful hangover."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:47 pm
Bullshit Bingo.

(The BBC search engine wouldn't let me search for it at first, I had to call it Bullsh*t Bingo! Heerz hopping Im okay hear)

http://www.perkigoth.com/home/kermit/stuff/bullshitbingo/
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 02:53 pm
Ahhh, I see. Refreshing that page just adds more. Akkkk.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 04:28 pm
I'd forgotten about bullshit bingo, McT. Fine game. Piffka, the "occasional lapse" is forgiveable, just don't make a habit of it. Smile (Would repeating that lapse constitute a relapse?)
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 04:53 am
Idaho wrote:
How about, like, using the word "like" in all sorts of, like, obnoxious ways to, like, render yourself, like, completely incomprehensible, like, you know?

No, could you give me an example, like using it in a sentence?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 10:19 am
...and what's wrong with dots?

...I use them all the time

...to pause or begin again Very Happy
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
have to slap my wrist(?). using too many dots. old age an acceptable excuse ? hbg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
As you can see from above, I use them myself. Irony. Just had a slow peeve day. Too much contentment round here.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 02:48 pm
Who's a bastid?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 03:06 pm
Ok, I'm guilty of all the dots....lol

But peoples pronunciation of the word vehicle.

I have heard a few pronounce it... "Ve- HICK- EL"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 05:26 pm
Varied pronunciations don't bother me too much. There is, after all, such a thing as 'dialect' and, to some extent, it's charming to hear something pronounced one way in the UK, another way in the northern states of the US and still a third way in the southern states. I won't even mention Australia or -- heaven forbid -- N'Zeelund. Around my way we say in-SURE-ance, down south it's mostly pronounced IN-surance. Doesn't matter. I know what's meant. What bothers me is total misuse of grammar, malapropisms and suchlike.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 12:40 am
Yes you're right. I was amused to hear a New Yorker pronounce filet (steak) as fee-lay whereas I say fill-it.

But who am I to be amused? Who the hell do I think I am? I ought to be bloody well ashamed of myself.

Here's another: harass. Is it harris? Or Har-Ass? I say harris.
But I think nowadays, more people would say harASSed than HARassed. It sounds more emphatic somehow.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 02:27 am
You say tomato, I say tomaato. Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2005 08:15 am
I listen to the BBC Overseas Service a lot, just to get a non-American perspective on the news. It is amusing to see how certain everyday words are "mispronounced" by the Brits. (Please, don't hit me; I'm just funnin'.) Funny thing is, in some cases I think the British pronunciation is correct and Americans should amend the way we speak, while other times I think the British are totally in error. 'Shedule" instead of 'skedule' makes perfect sense to me, for example. What doesn't is that the Brits want to Anglicize almost all words of foreign derivation whereas the American tendency is to stay close to the original pronunciation, be it French, Italian or German. Mc's "fillet" is a good example. I prefer the American way of saying it. I also hate the way you guys pronounce Mafia. It's Eyetalian and it's Mah-fee-ah.
0 Replies