What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:54 am
I'm beginning to get peeved about our TV weatherpersons telling us to expect "spits and spots" of rain.

I know, any phrase which gets overworked tends to begin to grate.

So "wrap up warm" today. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 02:06 pm
"Har, har. Wet enough for you?" is not my idea of sparkling wit.
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:22 pm
I think it's completely silly when people say "I myself.'

Who are you - if not yourself? Razz
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:52 pm
That's just for emphasis, like saying, "Personally, I... " or "You yourself said it just the other day!"
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:55 pm
What language do you speak in Canada Mame? Laughing
0 Replies

bathsheba

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:56 pm
I know......it just irritates me Smile It sounds redundant.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 05:19 am
bathsheba wrote:

This must explain the Queen saying "We are delighted...." etc

She means both "I am" and "Myself is", both of her at the same time. Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:03 am
bathsheba wrote:
I know......it just irritates me Smile It sounds redundant.

Not to me, myself, and I.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:07 am
Loose the myself. Axe me how to do the right way.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:42 pm
Re: What are your pet peeves re English usage?
Grand Duke wrote:
ailsagirl wrote:
2) Saying, "Sam gave the coin to Jeff and I."

4) Not using the serial comma (Ex. "The red, white and blue")

I'm not sure whether I am remembering incorrectly, or if it is due to cultural differences, but (as a Briton) I would say that both of these are correct. Anyone care to agree/disagree? I'm confused!

I realize that a bit of time has gone by since you wrote this, but in case you're still around, I thought I'd reply to this.

No. 2 is absolutely incorrect. Here's how you can tell. Drop "Jeff and." Now you're left with "Sam gave the coin to I." Shocked

No. 4 is fine. Since the list and its components are very short, it looks neater to omit the last comma, but it would be equally correct to include it.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:48 pm
Clary wrote:
Ah the serial comma! Yes, it is a(n) uniquely American thing, but becoming common over here (sorry, forgot for a moment I'm in Phnom Penh - I mean UK) too. It implies a breath before the and which would be SO tiresome.

But Grand Duke, giving something to Jeff and I is TERRIBLY INCORRECT - all you have to do is to remove Jeff and you will see how silly it sounds. This doesn't stop many people saying it, but they are hypercorrecting so they don't make the mistake of 'saying Jeff and me saw the film.

I am in the business - EFL publishing - and I know these things!

Hi, Clary. I just discovered this lovely thread and didn't realize you had answered the poster's question the same way I did. A former colleague of mine (with whom I used to fantasize about opening a penal colony for rude and ungrammatical people) used to say, "People think the word 'me' has cooties." Laughing
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:49 pm
sarius wrote:
No kidding.

This has less to do with the usage than the effect it has on me.

Have you ever had a debate with someone when he suddenly ends with "whatever"? It's as if they do not have the mental capacity to carry on the debate and would rather take the easy way out. I do know that some debates can never come to a proper conclusion, but saying "whatever" is really a pathetic way to end a discussion. Confused

And it's insulting, too, as is "duh."
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:52 pm
Dutchy wrote:

Hi, Dutchy. Can you believe it took me so long to discover this great thread?!
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 01:05 pm
bathsheba wrote:

True. Smile And speaking of "myself," it drives me crazy when someone uses "myself" instead of "I" or "me."

Examples:

"If you're interested in joining the Publicity Committee, please see Henry or myself." It makes me want to say, "The only person who can see yourself is you!"

"Susan and myself went to Barnes & Noble."

Or worse:

"Myself and Susan went to Barnes & Noble."

Aaahhhhhhhh!!!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:34 pm
FlyFoy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You never asked me, I could have told you all about it. Laughing I think you and Clary make a great pair, she is an absolute wizard when it comes to perfect English, there is no one better!
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 05:59 pm
Dutchy wrote:
FlyFoy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You never asked me, I could have told you all about it. Laughing I think you and Clary make a great pair, she is an absolute wizard when it comes to perfect English, there is no one better!

I look forward to learning from her. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:10 pm
FlyFoy, just for information, Clary is presently away on another trip, see "Clary's Travel Digression" thread.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 06:49 pm
Dutchy wrote:
FlyFoy, just for information, Clary is presently away on another trip, see "Clary's Travel Digression" thread.

Will do. Nite, Dutchy.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 04:44 am
British sportsmen and some celebrities refer to themselves in the third person, and it sounds weird:

"This is a great opportunity for David Beckham"

"This is not the right move for Gary Neville at the moment"

They seem to think of themselves as a corporation or brand name. Perhaps they are, in a way.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:07 pm
McTag wrote:
British sportsmen and some celebrities refer to themselves in the third person, and it sounds weird:

"This is a great opportunity for David Beckham"

"This is not the right move for Gary Neville at the moment"

They seem to think of themselves as a corporation or brand name. Perhaps they are, in a way.

It always sounds egomaniacal to me when people refer to themselves in the third person. Also...some people call themselves "we." It's not the royal we ("We appreciate the contributions of our subjects") or the clinical we ("Have we had a bowel movement today?"). I don't know exactly what it is, but it sounds ridiculous to me. I've heard Garth Brooks refer to himself as both "we" and "Garth." When he refers to himself as "we," I think he's trying to be humble and acknowledge the fact that he wouldn't be able to do what he does all by himself, but it ends up sounding pretentious and silly to me.

While we're on the subject of the third person, I'd like to mention that some people say "third person" instead of "the third person," which drives me nuts, but I hope that someone will let me know if I'm incorrect here.
0 Replies