giujohn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 04:45 pm
@Olivier5,
1.) It is customary when you are not using your own words to qoute the reference.
2.) Wikipedia? I'm not surprised. Garbage in, garbage out. (unless you misquoted it)
The definition of supercede is to subplant or replace something. Relativety did not replace classical physics any more so than quantum mecahnics replaced realtivity.
The only thing that changed was the undersatnding that there is not one all encompassing rule of physics...or a GUT. Nothing was disproved or superceded. We have just expanded the understanding.
Hope that wasnt too dumbed down.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 05:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Your GPS wouldn't work without relativity. The time of the clocks on board those satellites is affected (slowed down) by their speed relative to earth.

None of which negates my assertion that Newtonian mechanics works great for virtually everything.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 05:29 pm
@Brandon9000,
Likewise, pre-Copernician astronomy works great for most of one's daily needs... but that is not the way science works.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 05:36 pm
@giujohn,
1) I quoted wiki in my post

2) Wikipedia is an excellent resource most of the time.

Quote:
realtivity.
The only thing that changed was the undersatnding that there is not one all encompassing rule of physics...

That is sooo cute... there are local laws: on earth, Newton still works... hahahaha
giujohn

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 05:47 pm
@Olivier5,
(From wiki) putting this on your post (after the fact) is not referencing the article. You also did not put it in quotations.
Quote:
That is sooo cute... there are local laws: on earth, Newton still works... hahahaha
Let us in on the joke...so what is so funny?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 06:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Likewise, pre-Copernician astronomy works great for most of one's daily needs... but that is not the way science works.

Pre-Copernican astronomy didn't allow people to do millions and millions of calculations that built civilization. All the mechanical calculations done by engineers for stress, strain, forces, motion, strength of materials, etc. use Newtonian mechanics. It's correct for almost everything we need in our daily lives. Relativity and quantum mechanics just showed that Newtonian mechanics is a special case of physics applicable to a certain ranges of mass and speed.
RexRed

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 07:45 pm
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 11:27 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
2) Wikipedia is an excellent resource most of the time.

You really believe that???
Based on WHAT?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:42 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Based on my experience, Wikipedia is probably the most reliable and useful website ever created.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:51 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:

Quote:
When apples start falling to the sky in China I might believe that.

That is what I always hear.
I am NOT saying things do not fall. Your confusing what is happening ( something falling) with the explanation WHY it is falling, That are really to seperate things. If you tell me things will fall, I agree. But if you tell me it is gravity as explained by Newton (who really was a drunk, someone else wrote his books!) I disagree.

Jesus drank wine and someone wrote his books for him. Mohamed couldn't read or write. In the same token, are we to believe in the God as explained by these men?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:55 am
@Brandon9000,
Newton's gravity law is false, though it's a good enough approximation most of the times. It's like Pi=3.1416. Technically false, but close enough in practice.

Another problem with it is that it is non-local: Newtonian gravity acts at a distance, without a medium, and therefore involves some degree of 'magic thinking'. Newton himself raised that objection....
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:04 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Newton's gravity law is false, though it's a good enough approximation most of the times. It's like Pi=3.1416. Technically false, but close enough in practice.

Another problem with it is that it is non-local: Newtonian gravity acts at a distance, without a medium, and therefore involves some degree of 'magic thinking'. Newton himself raised that objection....

It's actually more like 3.14.159265, since it agrees with test to many decimal places for things we run into in our daily lives. Like I said, Newtonian mechanics coupled with calculus, which he also invented, enabled us to build our civilization, including sending men to the Moon. In it's realm of applicability, no one with scientific training thinks it should be replaced, except in the way that an infinitesimal percentage of people think the electric company is sending out waves to control our thoughts.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:22 am
@Brandon9000,
Similarly, everybody uses 3.1416 though we all it' s only an approximation... and everyone says 'the sun is rising' when in fact we all know the earth is rotating instead... there's nothing wrong with approximations as long as you use them knowingly.

But this is a tangent. The important point I want to make is that one cannot be absolutely certain of any scientific theory. Science is agnostic about itself. Therefore, one cannot use a scientific theory to 'prove beyond doubt' the existence or non-existence of gods.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:49 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Similarly, everybody uses 3.1416 though we all it' s only an approximation... and everyone says 'the sun is rising' when in fact we all know the earth is rotating instead... there's nothing wrong with approximations as long as you use them knowingly.

But this is a tangent. The important point I want to make is that one cannot be absolutely certain of any scientific theory. Science is agnostic about itself. Therefore, one cannot use a scientific theory to 'prove beyond doubt' the existence or non-existence of gods.

I wholeheartedly agree!

And besides that, 'science' is so wrong in so many issues, it is unbelievable.
I have mentioned some in the past here, here is another one, 'scientist' don't understand really how the heart works! To really understand it one needs some "Sacred Geometry" but 'they' don't teach that. So......
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:49 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

But you can demonstrate that there is insufficient evidence to justify a belief in the existence of God. I can't prove that our world wasn't created by seven inconceivably powerful creatures to win a bet, but that doesn't mean I have enough reason to justify a belief that it's true. It is unjustified to believe everything I can't prove false.
RexRed

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:08 am
My dad was a Shriner, his favorite books were written by Thomas Paine. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! Smile
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:15 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
My dad was a Shriner, his favorite books were written by Thomas Paine. HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! Smile

My dad volunteered for the army in WW2 and was marched all over Europe. "Common Sense" and the "American Crisis" were good, but Paine turned into a rather unpleasant old man.
RexRed

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:32 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

RexRed wrote:

My dad volunteered for the army in WW2 and was marched all over Europe. "Common Sense" and the "American Crisis" were good, but Paine turned into a rather unpleasant old man.

My dad was a sea captain in the merchant marines and my mother's father was also a sea captain, and also in the U.S. Navy. My grandfather was a captain through two world wars and had one of his tankers shot down by a German u-boat, he was fished out the Atlantic ocean and dropped off on the shores of Dunkirk.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 11:02 am
Justifiably called "the greatest generation."
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 11:07 am
Bachelor Party Discovers The 'Most Complete' Mastodon Skull Fossil In New Mexico Park (VIDEO)
http://www.hngn.com/articles/33638/20140612/bachelor-party-discovers-complete-mastodon-skull-fossil-new-mexico-park.htm

http://krqe.com/2014/06/10/group-makes-major-discovery-at-elephant-butte/
0 Replies