Where is sozobe?

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

It's just appalling what a thread entitled "Where is Sozobe" had lead to.

the question got answered a long time ago, now we are in bonus time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 11:30 am
Slime time, more like . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 08:53 am
I was browsing through the TED talks this morning and came across one that reminded me of something I'd said here earlier:

Quote:
The thing is -- one of the reasons I come here is that I like people who challenge me and I include hawkeye, David, and gungasnake amongst the challengers. Sure we have wildly different opinions on many things (that's what keeps it interesting) but I have managed to find common ground with each of them on some issues.

Here's the talk:

Ragman

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 10:28 am
@boomerang,

What I find interesting about reading differing opinions is the challenge of the logic and the process by which the person came to that viewpoint. What I object to the most is the manner of disagreement or presentation...particularly the negativity.
sozobe

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 10:32 am
@Roberta,
Hello cheetah my dear!

I wouldn't say I've "given up" exactly -- I didn't do a big farewell post for that reason, I'm not closing any doors or anything.

Partly it's A2K, but also partly it's life, lots going on. Abuzz and then A2K were the perfect thing at the perfect time for me in a lot of ways -- I started when I was several months pregnant with my first child and had just moved to a new city where I didn't know anyone. Making friends with a newborn baby in tow was a challenge even without the added barrier of deafness, and E.G. was off evil-geniusing most of the time.

So these forums were a godsend -- completely accessible communication, and some really amazing advisors just when I needed it most. I've gotten so much invaluable parenting advice, especially in those early, super-clueless years.

Then just as I started to build up a community in Chicago, off I went to Columbus. A2K was again a lifeline as I made that transition. Not least of which, Setanta steering me to this area, which was not generally known at the time (it might be better-known now) and which our realtors were actively trying to steer us away from. And it's the perfect place for us, I love it.

But now I've been in Columbus for 9 years (!), I have a pretty solid community here, lots going on, lots of social interaction. Facebook fills the virtual-interaction niche pretty well, with hyper-local informational benefits too. (Oh, the sports physicals tend to take way more than the advertised half-hour? Noted, will plan on that.)

I'm a Capricorn and a Chinese zodiac Dog, and while I don't really believe in astrology (logically, I don't, but illogically it sometimes resonates), those signs totally fit. I'm super-loyal and doggedly persistent. So even after the more immediate benefits and pleasures of A2K wore off, I stayed around because...! It's A2K, it must grow and flourish, and I must do what I can to help that.

Eventually I released myself from that self-imposed burden. Took a while!

BUT.... there are many people here who I care about a great deal and I can't stand the idea of Never Seeing You Again, so I'm sure I'll stop by now and then.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 12:15 pm
@sozobe,
the common denominator in all of these stories is that when A2K stops meeting peoples needs the people leave, eventually. Robert does not take our money but he is still competing in the free market, in this case is in the market for eyeballs. the will of the community is ignored at his own expense.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 01:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, A2K was different ... between 2002 and January 2008.
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 02:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeh, It used to be a community that grew with people participating. Now its pretty much an interstate hiway with billboards every 2 feet.
Im only here cause theres really nothing better out there. I already belong to some professional sites but that gets as boring as watching H2O boy after a while.

0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 02:35 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman, I agree, but fortunately we have the "ignore" function. I've only used it very few times. But it's good to know one does not HAVE to put up with the more aggressively negative types.
The main reason I've stuck with A2K so long is the people. Robert has a very good running operation, but the people are a simple matter of luck.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 02:53 pm
@JLNobody,
And JLNobody is one of the first reasons I am here.

Hi, John.

He and I go way back. We used to palaver on art and had some clear agreements. He is more into abstraction than I am, but we bridged that, since I begin to get it and he wasn't all dismissive of my comments. I met him for something like twenty rushed minutes at the Phoenix airport. I see him in my mind in front of a bank of some Idunnowhats, things you could buy. A kind of absurd, but we were happy to meet.

Really, there is no one I like more.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 03:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Uh oh. People will think from that post that I'm after him. Nah. I like his wife. Bob and Diane met them, sounded very good to me.
He and I are mind friends from different art planets but with similar views on this and that.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 03:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Why do I keep posting? for the real people that post.

Where are the ferrets?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 03:22 pm
I like many people here and will stay for the long haul. I just ignore the ones who make my visits unpleasant. I have said before that I actually like some of the ignorees, but I don't want the aggravation. Most of the old Abuzzards and many who came along early to a2k still hold my interest for the most. It seems that over the past few years we have picked up some interesting new regulars. We just have a lesser number of interesting threads to get into these days. Some persons probably think I ignore them because I don't comment much on their threads. Actually, I peek in on many but don't have anything to further the conversation. Best to read and keep moving.
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 04:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
It used to be , like osso sez, we would hve a conversation about a subject. Now, it seems that everything of fuel for rebuttal rather than understanding.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 04:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

It used to be , like osso sez, we would hve a conversation about a subject. Now, it seems that everything of fuel for rebuttal rather than understanding.

we have both ideological and cultural warfare flooding A2K, the desire for discovery of the truth and understanding is in retreat. I am not at all sure that the D/R battles or urban/country (guns) battles have been the most damaging...I think that the mob action to cleanse A2K of alleged undesirables might be. there has been a concerted effort to deny the humanity of certain members, which makes this a very ugly place.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 04:54 pm
@farmerman,
You are right on that.

I'd answer you more, Farmer, except that I tend to agree with you and sling along.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 05:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
the desire for discovery of the truth and understanding is in retreat.
Ill rebut that. There is probably only one person on the boards who is ignored by the majority an its not because of some "retreat from truth". That person is IMHO, an apprentice suicide bomber who has no accurate sense of history , past or recent. That person has drunk the Kool-Aid of fanaticism and so it has always been impossible to have discussions with it. There were some points that this person has made that even warrant closer inspection but that person is too quick on the confrontation trigger. Its best he or she just disappear. We have others who can make the same arguments but much more intelligently and politely.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 05:31 pm
@farmerman,
Funny, I just saw a post recent, like very recent from Sozobe. So I dropped back in here.

But, then if I was her, I probably wouldn't answer here either, because the thread is no longer about her.

Did, I just say that?
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 05:48 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
most threads wander about. But soz was here
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 05:53 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Foundy, I like you, but you are talking ignorantly about sozobe. Shut up and do some research.

This thread is about Soz.

Don't cool insult her to me.