How is this definition of "belief"?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 07:21 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Oh dear. Are you trying to project your recent "logical trouncing" by igm onto me ? Whether or not, you merely look ridiculous with such a vacuous rejoinder. And you have probably forgotten that I have explained why "logic" is a variety of "mind set" beloved of naive realists.
Quote:
No, no you are not thinking, you are just being logical. Niels Bohr

...and that comment was to a slightly "sharper pencil" in the pack than you !

Ahhh...yes you "have explained" about "logic" and "mind set"...and of course that means that the discussion is ended and your opinions must be taken as fact.

Fresco...you are a charmer. If you didn't exist, I'd have to invent you to entertain myself.
fresco

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 07:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Do you want me to explain it again ?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 07:50 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Do you want me to explain it again ?

I could care less what you do. You are a blowhard. You seem to think that if you quote something...or if you utter something...it has to be so.

MY GUESS: The REALITY is as hidden to you as it is to me, but you do not have the strength of character to acknowledge that it is...so you are going to define it in a way where not doing so is not the lack-of-character move it actually is.

Thanks for asking. Hope all is well with you.
fresco

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
So lets get this straight. You admit you are "not the sharpest pencil in the pack" yet you refuse to listen to anybody who might be a bit smarter, whom you dump in a bin labelled "making guesses disguised as authority or appeals to authority".And people like igm who might transparently "take you to the cleaners" on your own simplistic terms, are fobbed off with infantile platitudes like "nice try".
(a)Yes ?(b)No ? (c) Don't Know ? (d) Don't Care ?
I'm betting on (a) and (d).

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I could care less what you do.

See, Frank, [see Fresco, McTag, Setanta, Clary, ... ] people acting in natural language situations don't follow silly prescriptions for the simple reason that prescriptions are "alien to the natural workings of language.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:36 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

So lets get this straight. You admit you are "not the sharpest pencil in the pack"

I prefer "not the sharpest tool in the shed", but you capture the notion.

Quote:
... yet you refuse to listen to anybody who might be a bit smarter,...

Did you just make that up on your own...or did you have help.

I listen to everything posted here, even from you whom I consider a blowhard who pretends he knows stuff it appears he does not know.

What makes you think I do not?

Quote:
... whom you dump in a bin labelled "making guesses disguised as authority or appeals to authority".

Mostly just you in that bin...and only because you earn the right to be there.

Quote:
And people like igm who might transparently "take you to the cleaners" on your own simplistic terms, are fobbed off with infantile platitudes like "nice try".

If you think that...you certainly are free to think it. igm would have trouble taking dirty clothes to the cleaners...and he certainly has not done that to me. But like I said...if you want to think that...be my guest.

Quote:

(a)Yes ?(b)No ? (c) Don't Know ? (d) Don't Care ?
I'm betting on (a) and (d).

You got too complicated for me here, Fresco. Remember...I'm the dumb one here. What am I supposed to be saying yes, no, don't know, or don't care to?

Egad...you are easy! Wink
JTT

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 08:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Right back to your old tricks I see, Frank.

Quote:
I listen to everything posted here, even from you whom I consider a blowhard who pretends he knows stuff it appears he does not know.

What makes you think I do not?

Because you avoid the central issues when they get tough for you with a tenacity that can only be described as apisian.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 10:16 am
@JTT,
That made me chuckle.
Perhaps we can call those beliefs that are neither held nor done, yet we have them nonetheless, apisan beliefs. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 12:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Fresco is talking about our latest debate on the 'Inflate or destroy self?' thread.

Frank you said to Fresco: "igm would have trouble taking dirty clothes to the cleaners... "

Cheap shot... I'm disappointed in you!

You are incapable of defending your position you can only restate it...that amounts to a parlor trick... or more like flim-flam.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 12:36 pm
@igm,
It's not a parlor trick; it's a parrot that doesn't know much of anything else to say. BORING and TIRESOME!

Frank "doesn't know" and he's only "guessing." Let's leave it at that!
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 12:55 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

Fresco is talking about our latest debate on the 'Inflate or destroy self?' thread.

Frank you said to Fresco: "igm would have trouble taking dirty clothes to the cleaners... "

Cheap shot... I'm disappointed in you!

You are incapable of defending your position you can only restate it...that amounts to a parlor trick... or more like flim-flam.

Perhaps that was a cheap shot.

It got the point across that I was trying to make...that you most assuredly have not been taking me to the cleaners.

But you are correct...it was a cheap shot.

Sorry.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 12:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's not a parlor trick; it's a parrot that doesn't know much of anything else to say. BORING and TIRESOME!

Frank "doesn't know" and he's only "guessing." Let's leave it at that!

Sounds like a good idea to me. A hell of a lot more sensible than all this nonsense about "How do you know you are guessing?"
JLNobody

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 09:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you said "Sorry." Good. I wish we could all say that..
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 03:09 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Frank, you said "Sorry." Good. I wish we could all say that..

Well, he was right. It was a cheap shot. And the "sorry" was sincere. We are discussing stuff we feel strongly about...and sometimes step over a line.

Thanks for mentioning it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 10:28 pm
Let me ask all of us how we would feel if we succeeded in humiliating fellow A2Kers. Would there more likely be a sense of ego enhancement and pride or a sense of shame and guilt?
FBM

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2013 11:11 pm
@JLNobody,
The heavy atmosphere of one-upmanship simply makes these sorts of discussions profoundly uninteresting to me. I'd love to have a discussion based on mutual interest and curiosity rather than the compulsion to out-do one another.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:13 am
@JLNobody,
If I managed to get either Fil or Frank to admit to the mistakes they've made in this thread, I would be able to think of them as persons of integrity, and I could trust their intellects.
As it is now, with both of them ranting about irrelevancies to cover up their mistakes, they are demonstrating that there is no integrity involved, and that they are prepared to say anything to prove themselves right.
This leads me to conclude that I cannot trust their reasoning, because they are biased towards always appearing wise and flawless, and in Fil's case, he has demonstrated that this is the most important consideration.

The way I see it, when someone takes leave of their integrity and honesty to power through with some outrageous claim that cannot be substantiated, they humiliate themselves. I am not helping these people by allowing them to solidify their delusions. If they feel I have humiliated them, well that is just more of their own ignorance and lack of understanding.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:20 am
@FBM,
I agree.
But it is hard when you have ridiculous people like Fil, who always tries to ridicule the original ideas, then replace them completely with his own version of these ideas, only to power through with how he is right.
Just check, if you are interested (I hope for your sake that you have more rewarding things to spend your time on though). Through this whole thread, Fil has ignored my comments, altering them to something he can argue against, then putting those words in my mouth, as if that makes it my words. It's ridiculous. It's a ruling technique, underhanded religious tricks that are also very effective in politics, but have no place in philosophy.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:23 am
@Cyracuz,
...you are a sad little dwarf !...I stop debating with you because you are irrational thus is pointless to try any interchange with you...besides you are a sour loser ! You won't get me to reply to anything else you have to say, have a nice life with all the best !
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 Jun, 2013 07:31 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Laughing
You are so full of yourself that you have effectively blocked yourself from truly learning anything. That is sad, and it makes you a very small person.
But I won't call you a dwarf. I might call you a monkey, but I don't think they wanna be associated with you.
0 Replies