My bf cheated last year. He told me about it on his own accord

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 02:10 am

I have been with my bf for 8 years now. (I'm 26, he's 28). Our relationship had been a little rocky for some time. he was unhappy with where his life was going so on and so forth. (Last year) He called me and told me he cheated on me with a coworker. I was shocked! It wasn't like him at all. He isn't a jerk anything. hes actually a pretty nice guy. And he does regret it. Anyways. That was a year ago. I do believe it was a one time thing. The girl even approached him for seconds and he declined. But I'm just so unsure about everything now. I wouldn't say I don't trust him. I just don't know what to do. (Women are always throwing themselves at him too)

HELP!

*Some background info.
It wasn't an affair, they never went on dates or even texted or called each other. She invited a bunch of coworkers to her place to watch a movie. He stayed later, and thats when IT happened.
I am his first gf and he is my first bf.
I never cheated

jespah

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 07:05 am
@Tattiana ,
Relationships are built on trust. And right now you are having trouble trusting him.

A few things. He will have to earn back your trust. And you might want to work out some of these feelings with a counselor, e. g. he told you, it was apparently a one-time thing, if you want to stay together, you are going to need to learn to move on.

But I think this is a symptom of being together for 8 years, being each other's sole relationship and ....? People get curious and they can sometimes act out. I am not saying it is right or fun or lovely but it is understandable.

You may want to have a conversation, instead, about where things are going. Marriage? Living together? What's around the corner for the two of you?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 06:34 pm
Clearly, he is not ready to settle down. He is only realizing this now.

Maybe you two need to separate and decide if what you have is worth keeping.

He may be asking for his freedom. Maybe you need to experience freedom, too.
0 Replies

Tanyawill35

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 12:59 am
@Tattiana ,
That's tricky. My initial response would be: dump him, once a cheater always a cheater. But I know it's much more complex than that. You do need to ask yourself (and him) if he's also unhappy with you, in addition to being unhappy as to where his life is going.. men don't just cheat, they cheat when they feel they don't get enough attention at home... you guys need to sit and talk about what he feels the deficits in your relationship are...
0 Replies