Why I Am Considering Leaving North Carolina

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 08:59 am
http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/04/20/2839185/christensen-column-big-government.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 15 • Views: 5,700 • Replies: 78

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 09:53 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Do it. Move to Canada!
Advocate

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:00 am
@blueveinedthrobber,

The Repubs, who have taken over all branches of the NC state government, are doing grievous damage to the state. I think a lot of their voters now have deep remorse on what they created. The new governor, who is still feeling his way, is going along with everything. He use to be a moderate.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:11 am
@Ticomaya,
I'm too old, it's too cold. but thanks for the invite
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:12 am
@Advocate,
he's not feeling his way. he's feathering his nest at the expense of others
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:15 am
@Ticomaya,
He definitely wouldn't find partisan politics at the municipal level.

Truly an odd concept to Canadians.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:37 am
Come to Texas, bear. We don't got no stinking North Carolina Republicans here. Drunk
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 10:47 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
It really feels terrible here. NC used to be the state that did the practical thing. It tightened its belt some when it needed to, raised taxes a little when required, invested in its infrastructure, kept out of the culture wars, promoted education with perhaps the best public university system in the country and innovations like teaching fellowship programs, etc. Now we have voter id bills, official state religion, bans against gay marriage, etc. Years of steady progress are being wiped out in months.
Ceili

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:05 am
@ehBeth,
or religion.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:08 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Where are you going?
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:09 am
@DrewDad,
I'm too old to go somewhere else and start over. I have to work. So I'm stuck here. I fear for my son's Medicaid
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:17 am
@engineer,
The official state religion resolution was pulled from consideration by the Republican Speaker of the House.

The amendment to North Carolina’s constitution which would made marriage between a man and woman the only legal union recognized by the state passed a statewide vote, and the Voter ID requirement isn't in place yet so everyone in the state got to vote on it.

Believe it or not, some reasonable, non-racist people think a Voter ID law makes sense, but then the 75% of Americans who support Voter ID requirements must be racist Republicans (Wait! If that's the case how did Obama get re-elected?)

Not sure what "etc" entails.

And here I had given up the idea of returning to NC because it went for Obama in 2008 and 2012.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:19 am
this state religion bill was never supposed to be real. It was to keep the rednecks stirred up and divert attention from all the other bullshit
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 11:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
(Note: NC did not go for Obama in 2012)

Etc. means bills to take away the Charlotte airport from the city of Charlotte, it means a whole slew of bills like the one linked to at the start of the thread to take away local government from cities, it means a bill to limit college student voting by saying that parents cannot claim an exemption for a college student they support if the student is registered to vote at a different address than the parent. While the religion bill was pulled by the Republican leadership, it is ridiculous that it could ever even be considered. In the last three months, this has been non-stop. It is like NC is making up for years of sanity in one prolonged burst of craziness.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 12:03 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
that parents cannot claim an exemption for a college student they support if the student is registered to vote at a different address than the parent.

This one actually makes sense.
If the student doesnt live at home, then the parent shouldnt be able to claim them as an exemption on their taxes.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 01:52 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Quote:
that parents cannot claim an exemption for a college student they support if the student is registered to vote at a different address than the parent.

This one actually makes sense.
If the student doesnt live at home, then the parent shouldnt be able to claim them as an exemption on their taxes.

yeah, because if you'e supporting them through school but they happen to live in a dorm
they're not really dependents. Jesus ******* Christ get real will ya?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 01:56 pm
@mysteryman,
So if the family doesn't live in a community with a college or university, they can't get the same benefits as families in larger communities.

Great. Everyone better leave their farms immediately.

Bizarre way of thinking there mm.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 02:31 pm
In addition you only lose the tax deduction if the student votes. You don't have to be a genius to know most college kids vote democrat and what this law is all about
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 02:43 pm
@engineer,
Oh yeah, you're right. Guess the NC GOP rigged the vote without the extra help of certain cited bills.

Whether run by Democrats or Republicans, Raleigh has never particularly liked Charlotte.

I guess you're just going to have to import more Yankees from up North.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 02:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'll be right down.