Why I Am Considering Leaving North Carolina

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 03:20 pm
@maxdancona,
How can you leave Boston when it needs you more than ever before?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 03:49 pm
It seems that we could used President Jackson around to have a talk with the current NC leadership threatening to hang them from trees if they do not behaved as he did to their great great grandfathers.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 04:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Oh yeah, you're right. Guess the NC GOP rigged the vote without the extra help of certain cited bills.

Whether run by Democrats or Republicans, Raleigh has never particularly liked Charlotte.

I guess you're just going to have to import more Yankees from up North.

Well yeah, bring on those Yankees. To cull a page from you good old boys playbook "If we can't run you rednecks out, we'll breed you out".
Advocate

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 06:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Obama didn't carry NC in 2012. What a glaring error!
JTT

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 08:27 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Do it. Move to Canada!

You fascists really don't like people whom think, do you, Tico?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2013 08:32 pm
@Advocate,
This is the first time you've noticed Finn making glaring errors, A? You obviously don't read Finn.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 02:39 pm
@engineer,
Here's one I forgot. The legislature just decided to write a bill to reneg on a lease signed with Raleigh to use state land for a park so the state can demand more money. This one may end up in court since there is a signed lease, but the legislature can destroy Raleigh if it wants so I think the city is screwed either way.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 03:20 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Here's one I forgot. The legislature just decided to write a bill to reneg on a lease signed with Raleigh to use state land for a park so the state can demand more money. This one may end up in court since there is a signed lease, but the legislature can destroy Raleigh if it wants so I think the city is screwed either way.

Yeah...we're all delighted about the idea of a new giant parking lot
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 05:05 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
If you want a liberal NC you need to welcome those Yankees.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 05:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
no argument there... I'm aware of the median IQ among the natives
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 05:20 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
But you over-estimate the Yankee IQ.

I lived in NY for 30 years. The average New Yorker is no smarter than the average Tar Heel. They just sound dumber.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2013 05:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
New Yorkers that is.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 06:45 pm
They strike again. No, this is not about the state taking away the city of Asheville's water system. This one is about medical treatment for teens.
Quote:

A Republican-controlled committee in the North Carolina General Assembly approved a bill on Tuesday that would require teenagers to present a notarized parental consent form in order to access sexually transmitted disease testing and treatment, mental health counseling, pregnancy care or substance abuse treatment. Teenagers without a parent or guardian would be required to stand before a judge and request a judicial bypass in order to obtain those health services.

North Carolina already requires parental consent for teenagers seeking abortions. House Bill 693 would be the first law in the U.S. to amend that parental consent law to include STD testing and treatment, mental health counseling and other health services.

The bill, sponsored by State Rep. Chris Whitmire (R), passed out of the Health and Human Services Committee along party lines by a vote of 14 to 8. If it passes the House and Senate, both of which have Republican supermajorities, only teenagers with medical emergencies would be exempt from the parental consent requirement.

Did you get that notarized part? If you want medical care, you not only need parental permission, it must be notarized. If you need mental health counseling because your home life is tough - notarized statement. Just flat out amazing.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:18 pm
I really need to figure out how to move the **** out of the South
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 May, 2013 10:23 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I doubt you will find happiness in the North.

The liberals up there will not embrace you as one of theirs, instead they will scorn you for your regional roots.

But hey, don't let me stop one more Lib from leaving the Carolinas.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 08:44 am
It's not a question of happiness, it's a question of not living in the 1950's. Been there done that. And my roots btw? Born in Lowell Massachusetts, formative years in Ohio.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 10:19 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

I really need to figure out how to move the **** out of the South

You will probably be much better off in the North.

The people there have higher incomes and virtually every other indicator of being better off (e. g., better health, longer life expectancy, higher literacy, greater educational attainment, lower child mortality, etc.) as compared to the South, including NC.

Interestingly, during the debates, Romney bragged that, when he was governor of MA, MA students were tops in the country by far. Of course, he omitted the fact that the students reached the top long before he took office.

In NC, the Republicans in control are taking actions that drag down the state on a near daily basis. For instance, there is a new bill that will probably be enacted that will significantly shift the income tax burden from the rich to the poor and middle class.
engineer

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 11:18 am
@Advocate,
Yes, I saw that. Lower income taxes, higher sales taxes, less exemptions for sales taxes on things like food. Just move all the taxes down the income scale.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 03:21 pm
the first step in eliminating the middle class, and make no mistake that's the plan, is by redefining it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 8 May, 2013 05:23 pm
@Advocate,
I lived in New York for 30 years, during which I was quite happy. I lived in NC for 20 years and Texas for 9.

I will never move back to New York or anywhere in the Northeast.

People who don't appreciate the South should leave and move to where they think they might be happier. Life is too short and the South doesn't need them.