H2O MAN

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 11:26 am
@RABEL222,
You have no case.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 04:17 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
He forgot a word in his post. That word was negative.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 06:47 pm
@RABEL222,
You made a case?

That's a first.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 06:49 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
But they care, don't they?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 May, 2013 09:35 pm
I don't know Finn, it's been 10 days since your last post and no one's been asking about you.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 27 May, 2013 06:27 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
Wow, you've counted?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 12:34 pm
There have been weekly protests at the state house over recent NC policies. A piece by a Duke law professor who was arrested at one protest: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jedediah-purdy/why-i-got-arrested-in-ral_b_3420683.html

Quote:
Rejecting Medicaid expansion is a state-level extension of the House Republicans' aim to repeal the Affordable Care Act. The North Carolina legislature is also trying to replay - and influence -- presidential elections by requiring voter ID, cutting back on early voting, eliminating same-day voter registration, and making it harder for former felons to recover voting rights. There's even a proposal to slap a tax penalty on the parents of college students who vote where they go to school, rather than at home - a naked attempt to suppress youth turnout. The legislature wants to make it hard enough for the young, the poor, and minorities to vote that it will be years before a repeat of 2008, when Barack Obama barely carried the state.

The politics of the 47 percent, the 1 percent, and the 99 percent is also getting replayed in the states. North Carolina's legislature is working to shift the state's tax burden in a regressive direction, cutting income taxes, especially on the wealthy, and expanding the state's sales tax.

The same goes for climate change and other environmental issues. Seemingly agreeing with Mitt Romney that trying to do something about climate change is just human arrogance, North Carolina has adopted a law that effectively bans acknowledging climate science, requiring all official projections of sea-level rise to be based on historical data (most from before serious warming began) rather than scientific forecasts. The legislature is working to fast-track fracking and embrace offshore oil drilling. It's also looking to repeal state support for renewable energy -- oh, and to impose an extra tax on hybrid-car drivers because they don't consume enough gasoline. (Will bicycle commuters and walkers be next?)

Abortion rights, so important in 2012, are also on the block in state politics. North Carolina has already required a waiting period before an abortion and mandated ultrasound viewings during pre-abortion counseling. Now it's considering the kinds of burdensome rules that are intended to make abortion clinics impossible to operate, like requiring doctors to remain with the patient throughout her recovery period, and restricting the distance from their home hospitals where doctors can perform abortions.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:10 pm
@engineer,
North Carolina is starting to sound a lot like Kansas...
engineer

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:35 pm
@Rockhead,
Until a couple of years ago, it was a bastion of sanity in a generally insane South.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 01:51 pm
@engineer,
I enjoyed my times there.

Kansas has become politically abrasive and stupid since Sebelius left for Washington.

it's as though they don't understand economics. or just hate poor folks...
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 02:47 pm
@Rockhead,
Who knew the folks in Kansas were such empty vessels that they needed their governor to keep them on the straight and narrow?

I doubt most of the folks living there would find your commentary anything other than ignorant and offensive.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 02:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
what's your point Finny?

I thought you were still ignoring me...

do you have any informed opinions about Kansas, or just a desire to kick at me?

I think it's best you go back to ignoring me.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 03:40 pm
Once NC fell into the complete control of the right, it is going extremely conservative in every respect. They Reps in control are seeking to flatten the income tax, shifting more of the tax burden to the poor; bring in school vouchers that will take money from the public schools; steal the airport built by Charlotte, NC, by taking it out of the control of that city; put in more toll roads; etc. Various groups are protesting in person, and the people in them are getting arrested.

All this reminds me of what is going on in the Middle East.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 07:47 am
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/19/19046399-north-carolina-governor-signs-law-aimed-at-restarting-executions?lite
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 03:55 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I caught the last half hour of Chris Matthews, the interviewed a woman from North Carolina covering the Monday protests in North Carolina. Not sure if she was in Raleigh but she described the situation you have talked about and apparently the population is not enjoying their liberties being taken and handed over to the 23 wealthiest families in North Carolina. Is the movement really called Moral Monday or is that just a label MSNBC gave it. I hope it's the people not the media. Mr. glitterbag was born and raised in Raleigh, so we have fond and some not so fond memories of times there. Good luck getting the politicians back in some balance.
engineer

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 04:01 pm
@glitterbag,
It's really Moral Mondays.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 24 Jun, 2013 06:13 pm
@engineer,
Wow! mr. glitterbag is very annoyed. Even in the late 70's North Carolina was considered one of the progressive southern states. Education was uber important, great universities. We both know very old people who still live in the late 40's and haven't been able to overcome old ways. Sad if the old ways are what the younger folks want as well.
Advocate

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 09:58 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Wow! mr. glitterbag is very annoyed. Even in the late 70's North Carolina was considered one of the progressive southern states. Education was uber important, great universities. We both know very old people who still live in the late 40's and haven't been able to overcome old ways. Sad if the old ways are what the younger folks want as well.

It is amazing what is going on in NC. The far right is in control and it is trying to push through a range of pro-wealthy legislation that, it argues, will bring more business and jobs to the state. The people don't accept this, but the right seems unfazed by the popular feeling.

"Voters don’t support any of the GOP-sponsored bills that PPP tested. They narrowly oppose making Christianity the official state religion with 45% against the bill and 42% in favor, including 53% of Republicans, 41% of Democrats and 30% of independents.

Other GOP-sponsored bills in the legislature prove to be much less popular. 57% of voters oppose and 25% support a bill making it harder for college students to vote. 39% oppose and 22% support ending the state’s renewable energy standard for power companies. 59% oppose and 33% support reducing the number of early voting days. 88% oppose and just 6% support a bill allowing state lawmakers to receive gifts from lobbyists. 49% believe the state Senate’s proposal to eliminate tax deductions for businesses making donations to charity is unfair against 28% who believe it is fair.

“The Republican-controlled legislature’s unpopular policy agenda is hurting public approval for their party in North Carolina,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “These bills attracting so much attention just aren’t favored by voters.”

-- publicpolling.com
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 10:56 am
@Advocate,
Official state religion? What? They can't find a nice bird?

0 Replies