OUR FRIEND HAS LEFT US

vonny

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 07:21 am
@firefly,
Quote:
I did go back to get him.

Oh that's wonderful news, Firefly. I'm so glad you followed your heart and went back for him. Do tell all - name, breed, peculiarities - I feel we're going to have a lot of fun with this young chap!

I wish you all the luck in the world with the youngster. A new thread devoted to your new pup, maybe? I'm feeling quite excited by the newcomer myself - already feeling broody!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 07:31 am
@Setanta,
So sorry for you, Setanta. It's an awful feeling when you've lost a dog and forget - even for a moment - then realise it's not there! It's been four months now and we still do it, time and time again. Our Harvey was such a big character, with a huge personality, that it seems impossible that he's no longer here. Such a yawning chasm where once he was. I still find myself speaking to him - and he's not there. Sometimes I think I feel him brush against my leg - and again, he's gone. The most wonderful thing in the world to have a dog, but 0h the agony when that dog has gone! But that's the price we pay - and worth it too - for all the love and joy they give us when they are alive.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 07:48 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Not too bad most of the time, but yesterday was a bad day. I was thinking about the girl dog constantly, and often in that way where one has forgotten she's no longer there.

The ongoing ABSENCE is very hard, isn't it?
Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 07:51 am
@dlowan,
Precisely . . . a constant agony.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 09:07 am
I had a hard time getting used to dog noises that weren't there.
Or house noises that weren't the dog after all.
I know you still have Bailey, but still.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 01:14 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
. . . a constant agony.

I still keep thinking it is time to give my dog a pill, or time to cook her dinner. Last night, when I walked into the semi-darkened bedroom and glanced at the bed, I momentarily thought I saw her sleeping at the end of it, in her usual place. Then I realized it was only a sweater I had taken off earlier, and that she was gone, and a lump came to my throat and my eyes welled up.

And each time you have to remind yourself they are gone, it is agonizing. But that is the process of mourning, and there's just no easy way around it. If we didn't love them so much, and they weren't so much a part of our lives, we wouldn't feel such grief at their passing. The letting go is never easy. They will remain in our hearts and memories forever, but realizing they are no longer here, and sharing their lives with us, and feeling their absence, can be brutal. The acute pain of loss does lessen over time, but, until it does, it's awful.

My heart is with you, Set.

FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 03:32 pm
@firefly,
It's been four months now. The other night I had a beautiful dream, Missy was running around .. My other pets were there too and I smiled, it felt so real. Maybe it was, maybe finally she is...

Set, where I live there is a cockie... It squarks the same as when Missy used to cry out at me for something... I don't know if that is good or bad sometimes, sometimes I smile as if I am lucky to sort of have her here all the time, the other it's like go away stop reminding me.

I'd like to think your little one is "always" there for you and Eh-Beth, but on the same accord, off in its little world as a puppy again ...

It does get easier ........ but it is for sure hard...
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 03:35 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Anyway, I feel like a new and wonderful furry friend has just entered my life, and it does help to ease the pain, and fill the void, I've experienced since the loss of my dog in January.

I'm glad I went back and got him.

Smile You sound like a teenager who just fell in love Smile Good for you, awesome.

"Little boy blue and the man in the moon" stupid as it sounds i still sing that to my cat as I put him to bed Wink

What are you going to call HIM......?

I lost my cat, and this little boy came into my life not much after, same thing, you never forget, they don't replace but they do get the heart back to where it belongs..................
ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 04:00 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Wondering how Beth and Set are going?

up down and around eh

mostly on an even keel - I think about the extra decade Cleo got because I brought her little stinkiness home and all the fun and love she brought to this house - and to her Oma and Opa

but man oh man, I miss finding her snoozing beside the bed in the morning and I miss the nudges at the knee when she wanted whatever she wanted
dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Apr, 2013 04:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Made the world of difference to that little dawgie.....and to you.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:24 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
You sound like a teenager who just fell in love

I feel like someone who went out on a blind date and met a wonderful guy.

He was born 3 days before my dog died, and they are the same color and breed. As one door closes, another opens...
Quote:
What are you going to call HIM......?

Don't know yet. He's the first male I've owned, my other dogs were females, so I've got a lot of new boy names to consider.

You can take a peek at him here...
http://able2know.org/topic/135039-72#post-5315977
jespah

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 11:34 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

MY NEW BABY! Smile
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag107/poodlepassion/5a062b11-3b30-4bf7-8565-601bd5ecaf5c_zps00cb8a00.jpg

Ferguson? Rusty? Indy?

Set - how are you and Beth doing? How's Bailey?

I recall, when Jake died, I was okay after a while but then moved the couch for some reason or another (probably to clean) and found some of his rawhide hoard. That set me off again, but now I think of it in amusement.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 30 Apr, 2013 10:26 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Ferguson? Rusty? Indy?

'
Or, Jasper Wink

Quote:
I feel like someone who went out on a blind date and met a wonderful guy.

He was born 3 days before my dog died, and they are the same color and breed. As one door closes, another opens...

Truly it does, doesn't it... My little boy Bigsy, certainly helped the heart after my little boy Sam died... As, usual Bigsy found me, "mum?" "yes, son, I guess you're adopted".... Though I still say goodnight to Sam, & my darlin Pom, Missy...

He is absolutely adorable!! I have a feeling he'll buck if you bring a date home any time soon, "she's mine!!!" ...Smile

I'd love to see some more photos of yours Beth, & Set's if you feel up to it, or when.... Did I read that right as well, Chloe's middle name was Kelly?
firefly

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 10:38 am
@jespah,
Thanks for the puppy name suggestions, jespah, and thanks to the others who have suggested names--I am trying all of them out.

Monday I took the puppy to my Vet for his first check-up there. I haven't been there since the day my dog died and I brought her body over to be cremated. Her ashes were there until Monday because, taking her home that way, was just too painful for me to deal with, and my very understanding Vet had assured me they would be safely held until I was able to come for them. So, I finally did get her ashes Monday, and welled-up with tears when they were handed to me, but I do think the puppy in the carrier kept me from completely losing it in the Vet's office. I will likely bury the ashes in my backyard, which was her favorite place in the world. She absolutely adored playing there and chasing after all the various balls I threw and kicked for her. It's fitting she should remain in a place that brought her such joy, and brought me joy just watching her there.

The new puppy has inherited some toys from that dog--they are really brand new, or barely used, because the previous dog generally didn't care for most hard rubber toys, other than balls, she preferred the softer latex toys that squeak easily, or stuffed toys that could make noises. It's actually giving me pleasure watching him play with those toys, and it does remind me of how cute she was when she was a puppy, and those are happy memories. He won't be getting her most favorite toy--that one, I think, I will bury with her ashes. I had to put that toy away, out of my sight, because just seeing it, after she was gone, broke me up too much. Just thinking about it is breaking me up right now...

The new puppy is a wonderful distraction, and a joyful reminder that life goes on. But he doesn't stop me from missing the one I lost.

I originally thought about getting a puppy last year, because I realized my dog, as healthy as she seemed, was still nearing the end of her life span, and I thought it would help dealing with her eventual loss if I already had another one. I even foolishly thought she might like having a puppy around to play with. I actually went and looked at some puppies but, watching them scamper energetically, and seeing them pester the older dogs where they were living, I realized that my elderly dog would be completely miserable with a puppy in the house, and that she deserved better, and I couldn't be that selfish.

So, I'm very glad I waited to get a puppy, and I'm very glad I have him now. Now I've just got to name him. Smile
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 10:52 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
I'd love to see some more photos of yours Beth, & Set's if you feel up to it, or when....

I love seeing the photos of Cleo too. What a great smile that little girl had.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 May, 2013 11:00 am
@firefly,
The last months were a fairly dark enough period that it was easy to forget just what a wonderful friend she was. She was the most resolutely cheerful individual i've ever met, human or animal. If she fell down, she'd shake it off and get on with it. I'm no good with those photo-bucket things, so i'll ask The Girl to post more pictures of her. The ones posted here have helped me immeasurably; they've helped me to recall what a truly wonderful, happy life she lead, after spending the first two years of her life alone in a basement.

Here's to Unsinkable Cleobelle.
mismi

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 08:03 am
@Setanta,
Checking on you two. I know it's hard. Thoughts continue to be with you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 08:33 am
Thanks, Darlin' . . . the boy dog is havin' a hard time. His friend went out the front door a month ago, and she's never come back. He spends most of his day now lying on the mat just inside the front door. He wants to know if anyone else is leaving, and he wants to be sure he's there when they come back.
mismi

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 01:33 pm
@Setanta,
Makes me sad to hear. Sweet Bailey. Give him scritches and hugs from me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 08:44 pm
@Setanta,
Cleo and Bailey waiting for Set to join us at the brickworks

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/229643_638848086128885_590742987_n.jpg

snoozing at the beach, using a big rock as a pillow

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/922691_638848956128798_1260449212_n.jpg

peeking out from behind Set's feet (I sometimes forgot how small she was - her personality made her seem like an enormous dog)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/941680_638849249462102_2108158222_n.jpg

Cleo generally let Bailey take the lead in adventuring things ... unless there was swimming involved

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/395705_638849472795413_259188730_n.jpg

more on another night