OUR FRIEND HAS LEFT US

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 03:13 am
It's very frustrating to know that she'll sit for The Girl, but is still being stubborn with me. Last night, i had to push her bottom down, and she would stand up again right away.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 06:11 am
@Setanta,
I wonder if the two of you need to spend some time alone outside - sit - wait wait wait - she sits - you pet her - walk 20 feet - sit - wait wait wait - she sits - you pet her. We can try on the weekend - walk opposite directions around the block ( you with the girldog, me with the boy dog) before we join up for an evening pack sashay.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:33 pm
@Setanta,
she knows how to push your buttons. When you push her butt down, don't look at her.
Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2013 01:44 pm
@farmerman,
Typical female . . . (psst . . . don't tell The Girl i said that) . . .
firefly

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 07:39 am
@Setanta,
This made me think of you teaching Bella to sit before going into the street.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/be/f4/6a/bef46acc82c6aceb337e70e288252184.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 07:41 am
@firefly,
ha!

Bella definitely sits for what she wants - and she wants to go for walks. She sits for the leash like a champion . I'm trying to figure out how her love of walking and her love of love can be meshed into proper, reliable sits.
Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Aug, 2013 08:09 am
@ehBeth,
If she was my dog, I'd try putting my hand on her bottom just before I say "sit". If she sits down, the touch will extend into two, three strokes of love. If not, the touch will extend into downward pressure on her butt, which apparently she finds annoying. Of course, this is easier said than done with a dog Bella's size.)
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:25 am
@Setanta,
How's Bella getting on? Long time since you last posted. Has her street training borne fruit yet?
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:37 am
@vonny,
I think she'll be like your Megs--a perennial 99%-er. Largely, she doesn't dart out into the street. I don't try to make her sit at the corners any longer, as she resents this and fights it. As long as she's not darting into the street, i'm OK with her. But she has really bad days. Saturday, i was really losing my temper. She was darting into the street, she was running in circles around me and the boy dog. At one point, she managed to wrap her lead around the bags coming out of the dispenser, and the bag full of poop i was attempting to tie. She then dashed down the street, pulling about seven or eight bags out of the dispenser and bursting the bag of poop i had in my hands. I got dog **** all over both hands and down my pants leg. I dragged her back and said "SIT DOWN." She sat . . . for all of about two seconds, then she dashed off again. I dragged her back, leaned over her and shouted "SIT DOWN." She sat, and then her eyes didn't leave my face as i tried to clean my hands and bag up the poop. But she apparently just felt aggrieved that i'd yelled at her. We got to the next corner and she darted out into the street again.

I only hope now that i can get her to the point that she won't dart into the street any longer. I don't have much hope. As i say, i suspect she'll always be a 99%-er.
vonny

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:54 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
At one point, she managed to wrap her lead around the bags coming out of the dispenser, and the bag full of poop i was attempting to tie. She then dashed down the street, pulling about seven or eight bags out of the dispenser and bursting the bag of poop i had in my hands

Oh boy, I know the feeling so well! We've tried everything with Megan, but that 1% is always there - just lurking in the background. We love her - she has a wonderful disposition - but there are times when I get so frustrated that I resort to yelling - then feel bad, because she looks at me with such devotion. But she knows exactly what she's doing. Megs is by no means a stupid dog - just that 1% of wilfulness lurking! I guess after ten and a half years she isn't going to change!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 04:55 am
You're just trying to cheer me up, right?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 05:41 am
@Setanta,
Now listen Set .... anta....She's the boss... She is a rebel Smile So cute right?

This is a true story... Or three... I've had 4 dogs only in my life , umpteen cats shhhhh.. Bigsy love you......... Lucky? Maybe... Well behaved, welcome cute, adorable Rawaii Evil or Very Mad took him to the vets 12 weeks old, he is a yes, he, girls usually are more placid but your bubs sounds a bitttt like Rawaii... He is a cross Maltese , Shitzu mulit coloured, very cute, makes us laugh and then...
Dododododo, what was that movie, "Exorsist", well except for the turning heads, wait a minute, no that was there just rag dolling a toy, that's "ok". So they tried to cut lengthy hair that was getting in his eye and giving some future problems. 2 Nurses, 1 vet, (3 people) to do it as he went off his tree, bighting, barking, moving Smile So....................................FS get him to puppy school..

We have actually Beth, Set...anta , taught him a lot and he's great, but when he gets in his well, mental mood, bites ankles, "says no" gets, angry....

Doesn't matter honestly how old they are, attitude? Chuck them with others to help get rid of it.

The bit I find hard, is you pretty much yell... "SIT" and they do. I just wish you could say it softly and no worries, but that does happen once they know the word. Thank fully.

Babies? Smile Cute I think even with the naughty, makes me laugh but know I can't show that... So happy it's a joyous journey for you both... as it should be.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:05 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're just trying to cheer me up, right?

I think it's that 1% that gives the dog its individuality - we all have flaws, so we can't expect a dog to be perfect. I'm happy that Megan is such a darling in every other way - a bit of stubborn behaviour occasionally is a small price to pay. Yes, it frustrates me, because it makes me feel inadequate when she refuses to obey - but I need to accept that Megs is Megs and won't ever be a 100% obedient. I can live with it! She does countless other little things that make me smile, make me happy, fill me with love ... she's worth it!
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 07:13 am
@Setanta,
My one has the delightful habit of running a tight circle behind me as I crouch to pick up the nuclear waste that he has emitted.
This pulls me into a spin, which makes him race around even faster. The spinner being a greyhound, if I lift one foot off the floor I can eventually go all blurry to passing traffic, like one of those childhood tops.
One day I will remember to hum loudly while doing it.

Ah, the joy of being a dog owner.....
spendius

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2013 03:19 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It sounds wonderful miLord.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 06:33 am
At some time early this morning, Mr. Bailey, The Girl's companion for more than seventeen years, passed away. Yesterday, she took him out in a wagon for a little adventure around the neighborhood. He had stopped eating, though, so the end was inevitable. He will be missed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 06:34 am
@Setanta,
Sad
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 06:52 am
@Setanta,
Oh no. I'm so sorry.

Big hugs to ehBeth.

And to you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 07:48 am
he wasn't a serious reader but I always thought this pic really caught his best expression

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/1533947_10152455309405770_4886319454694032204_n.jpg?oh=1147b0acbe39ab6abd244aaff448d2e0&oe=55161637

his eyes were not this bright yesterday, but he was about this happy on his final wagon ride around the neighbourhood

truly the dog of my heart
Ragman

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2014 07:52 am
@ehBeth,
My deepest sympathies on your loss of Mr. Bailey. Clearly a loved an loving companion. Such a cute pic too.