White Smoke! We Have a New Pope!

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 07:38 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Surprising. I would have thought Francis were so old as to be too pooped to pope.

'Francis' is singular, Rog. What gives?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:22 pm
oh, gods, it's the grammarnazi again. don't respond, roger, don't respond, please god, don't respond.
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:31 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
oh, gods, it's the grammarnazi again. don't respond, roger, don't respond, please god, don't respond.

Or MJ will feel compelled to reply and he doesn't want to get smacked down again.

But no need to worry about Roger, Jack. There's isn't a snowball's chance in hell he can muster the courage to do that.

Quote:
grammarnazi

You seem to be as knowledgeable as Spendius or Frank Apisa on how this works, MJ.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:45 pm
I edited out my response. Don't respond, MJ, please gods, don't respond.
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:49 pm
@MontereyJack,
Roger has likely headed fer the hills, MJ. Why don't you try to explain what Roger has done here?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

What on earth are you talking about?
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:51 pm
re Roger:
JTT, of course.
roger

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
Well, what did he say? I'm not psychic, you know.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:57 pm
@roger,
Roger falls in and out of Ignore as convenience allows.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Choice of name -- Francis -- is certainly interesting. Has it been indicated who he had in mind -- Francis of Assisi? Francis deSales? Francis Sinatra? Who?

Maybe he got the inspiration for his name from Frank Serpico, the incorruptible cop in a city of cops who were on the take.

Pedophile priests beware! Pope Paco is coming after you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3d/Serpico_imp.jpg
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:35 pm
@Kolyo,
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to say the same about one of the US presidents, Kolyo?
Kolyo

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:59 pm
@JTT,
Frankly, JTT, I'm surprised you didn't tell daffodillesun that "nobody can see his own backswing" was a reference to our "hypocritical war on terror".

You've lost a step. Rolling Eyes
JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 10:15 pm
@Kolyo,
daffodillesun, huh???

Wrong thread, Kolyo. From the ridiculous to the even more ridiculous. Is there not an honest bone in any of your bodies?

Another A2Ker who's following me.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:02 am
@Kolyo,
Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:38 pm
Matt wrote:
You're a linguist. What do you think about my taste/linguistics question?
JTT wrote:
No, I ain't no linguist, Matt.

Sat 16 Mar, 2013 01:49 pm
JTT wrote:
As I've spent close to a quarter century in that very field, children's education and linguistic/language theory and practice, I would say that I'm mighty interested in both those things.

Liar?
Really bad with time keeping?
Multiple personality disorder?
Access to time machine!?
MattDavis

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:16 am
@MontereyJack,
Sorry MJ Embarrassed
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 12:23 am
@MattDavis,
I think I see the conclusion that you are trying to draw, Matt, but no, I`m not a linguist.

Would that you had spent as much time reading the Pinker article.
Nooneleft

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:37 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

No link; was watching the chimney on EWTN.

White smoke means you have a new DOPE!! " Thump, thump, thump goes the naive finger on the fictitious bible!!
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 10:48 am
@JTT,
Perhaps you do not see the point I am trying to make.
It seems clear to me that your "I ain't no linguist." remark was a pedagogical lie.
The use of which runs counter to your general message.
I will not be chasing you around A2K calling you a 'liar' or a 'hypocrite', however. Mad
Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:19 pm
@MattDavis,
MattDavis wrote:

Foofie wrote:
...but do not think any Jews have utter contempt for their beliefs (beyond the standard non-belief in the divinity of Jesus)?

Thanks Foofie,
Maybe I am misreading the question, but I don't understand very easily what it would mean to have contempt for a belief.
If you have contempt for it, why believe it?
If you meant having contempt for a teaching or a practice, I guess my thoughts run in pretty much the same direction. If your religion is asking you to do something that your conscience is desperately rebelling against, you should put some serious examination into why you are following along (with that particular practice/teaching).
Maybe ask outside (of the religion) perspective on it.
Get a second opinion, like you would do for a doctor.

I was talking "clipped." I should have wrote "have contempt for another's beliefs."
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

aul was merely fortunate enough to have his religious "sample case" as he traversed that boundary line from the Levant into what would be Europe.

All the rest is marketing

Turning Saturnalia and the fertility god Easter (or Eastre?) into a fun time for all was brilliant marketing that Madison Ave. couldn't compete with, in my opinion.
0 Replies