A BIT OF CATHOLIC HUMOR!

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:05 am
Muldoon lived alone in the Irish countryside with only a pet dog for company. One day the dog died, and Muldoon went to the parish priest and asked, 'Father, my dog is dead. Could ya' be saying' a mass for the poor creature?'

Father Patrick replied, 'I'm afraid not; we cannot have services for an animal in the church. But there are some Baptists down the lane, and there's no tellin' what they believe. Maybe they'll do something for the creature.'

Muldoon said, 'I'll go right away Father. Do ya' think $5,000 is enough to donate to them for the service?'

Father Patrick exclaimed, 'Sweet Mary, Mother of Jesus! Why didn't ya tell me the dog was Catholic?

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:29 am
I would call the Catholic League of New York and report you, but they no longer take my calls.

Joe(I'm dead to them.)Nation
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 10:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Good one!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 12:57 pm
Thanks Joe...thanks Advocate.

I laughed my butt off when I read it...which I did with the Irish brogue.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Muldoon lived alone in the Irish countryside with only a pet dog for company. One day the dog died, and Muldoon went to the parish priest and asked, 'Father, my dog is dead. Could ya' be saying' a mass for the poor creature?'

Father Patrick replied, 'I'm afraid not; we cannot have services for an animal in the church. But there are some Baptists down the lane, and there's no tellin' what they believe. Maybe they'll do something for the creature.'

Muldoon said, 'I'll go right away Father. Do ya' think $5,000 is enough to donate to them for the service?'

Father Patrick exclaimed, 'Sweet Mary, Mother of Jesus! Why didn't ya tell me the dog was Catholic?

Since all the animals loved St. Francis of Assisi, is the joke really on Father Patrick for not just blessing the dead dog in context of some prayer to St. Francis?

The problem with ethnic jokes is that they play on stereotypes that often become obsolete. "Irish jokes" from an earlier era played on the stereotype of the Irish not being too intelligent. Like the Irishman that fed his horse sawdust, to save on the cost of hay. And then complained that the horse died, "Just as he was beginning to like the taste of sawdust."

So, since we all know educated Irish today, this joke is from an earlier era, but it was still going around in the late 20th century. People are slow to learn that groups change. I think much of the anti-Israeli sentiment we find on this forum reflects the fact that there is too much cognitive dissonance in many people's minds that Israel is populated by Jews that are not timid, and not about to be led to slaughter like sixty years ago. Many people have a long learning curve oftentimes.
Ceili

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 08:31 pm
@Foofie,
This isn't a joke about the Irish being dumb, it's about the church...
This joke is relevant today as it was a hundred years ago.
Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2013 09:24 pm
Poor Patrick was upstairs in his bed dying. His wife, Mary, came in to see him.
"Is there anything we can get for you, Pat, anything at all."
"Well," says Pat," I've been laying here barely breathing but every once in awhile I catch a whiff of that wonderful corn beef and cabbage you're cooking in the kitchen. I think I would like a bowl of that brought up here to me."
"Now, Pat," says Mary, "You know that's for the wake tomorrow."

Joe(But...I...)Nation
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 07:46 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
Since all the animals loved St. Francis of Assisi, is the joke really on Father Patrick for not just blessing the dead dog in context of some prayer to St. Francis?

The problem with ethnic jokes is that they play on stereotypes that often become obsolete. "Irish jokes" from an earlier era played on the stereotype of the Irish not being too intelligent. Like the Irishman that fed his horse sawdust, to save on the cost of hay. And then complained that the horse died, "Just as he was beginning to like the taste of sawdust."

So, since we all know educated Irish today, this joke is from an earlier era, but it was still going around in the late 20th century. People are slow to learn that groups change. I think much of the anti-Israeli sentiment we find on this forum reflects the fact that there is too much cognitive dissonance in many people's minds that Israel is populated by Jews that are not timid, and not about to be led to slaughter like sixty years ago. Many people have a long learning curve oftentimes.

You are right...it was a joke.

May I assume you did not find it funny?

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 07:47 am
@Joe Nation,
That was funny also, Joe.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 08:43 am
A Cardinal is rushed to hospital with appendicitis. As he's undergoing surgery an unmarried woman in the next theatre dies in childbirth.

When the Cardinal comes round the surgeon decides to tell him he's given birth to a baby boy. The Cardinal is horrified but decides to do the right thing so far as the circumstances allow. He introduces the child as his ward, and says he's the boy's uncle, and to all intents and purposes brings him up as his own.

Many years later the Cardinal is on his death bed, and he beckons his 'son' over for one last word.
'You know I've looked after you all my life, and let you think I'm your uncle, now it's time I told you the truth.'
'It's alright,' replied the boy. 'You're really my father aren't you.'
'God no,' replied the Cardinal. 'I'm your mother, the Pope's your father.'
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 09:35 am
@izzythepush,
Funny!!!!!

Gotta tell that to someone quick!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:40 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

A Cardinal is rushed to hospital with appendicitis. As he's undergoing surgery an unmarried woman in the next theatre dies in childbirth.

When the Cardinal comes round the surgeon decides to tell him he's given birth to a baby boy. The Cardinal is horrified but decides to do the right thing so far as the circumstances allow. He introduces the child as his ward, and says he's the boy's uncle, and to all intents and purposes brings him up as his own.

Many years later the Cardinal is on his death bed, and he beckons his 'son' over for one last word.
'You know I've looked after you all my life, and let you think I'm your uncle, now it's time I told you the truth.'
'It's alright,' replied the boy. 'You're really my father aren't you.'
'God no,' replied the Cardinal. 'I'm your mother, the Pope's your father.'

Shouldn't this joke [?] be in the "Really Bad Joke" thread?
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:44 am
Michael sees Fr. O'Sullivan on the street and goes up to him and says "Father, do you know what causes appendicitis?"
Seeing what might be an opportunity to bring Michael back to the straight and narrow, Fr. O'Sullivan says "Sin, Michael, sin."
Michael gasps.
"Oh, yes, 'tis sin that bring it on, too much drinking, too much staying out late at night with the lowest types of people committing who knows what kind of unspeakable deeds."
Michael says "Oh, that's very bad indeed."
"But, "says Fr. O'Sullivan " all that can be forgiven and one's full health can be restored if one will just confess all one's sins."
"Well, that's something to be glad for, Father, and the very next time you see the Archbishop, you should tell him, for I hear it's him that's got it."

Joe(exit Stage Right)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:49 am
Two nuns sneak out of the convent one night, rushing from shadow to shadow, then up and over the wall, and finally run down the road to hide in a small woods.

Oh, Sister Mary Elizabeth . . . i feel like a paratrooper!

Well, so do i, Sister . . . but where do we find one at this time of night ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:49 am

Father O'Malley answers the phone. 'Hello, is this Father O'Malley?'

'It is!'

'This is the IRS. Can you help us?'

'I can!'

'Do you know a Ted Houlihan?'

'I do!'

'Is he a member of your congregation?'

'He is!'

'Did he donate $10,000 to the church?'

'He will.'
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 10:52 am
Thanks to Advocate, Joe, and Setanta...for their additions.

Lots of Catholic humor around...and I love it.

I knew an Irish priest once, Father Kevin J. Heyburn...one of the finest humans I've ever known...and he loved Irish Catholic jokes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 11:07 am
Michael and Morris grow up in the same New York neighborhood, Micheal becomes a priest and Morris becomes a rabbi. The devote their lives to their congregations until, in the fullness of time, they are both replaced by younger men, and can take a well-earned retirement. So the two of them are sitting on a bench in Washington Square Park on a lovely, sunny day . . .

Tell me now, Morrie . . . didja ever eat a ham sandwich?

Well, Mickey, I have to admit that I've eaten a ham sandwich more than once . . . they're pretty good. But, what about you Mickey . . . didja ever . . . you know . . . do it with a woman?

Old man though he is, Micheal blushes bright red and finally admits that yes, he had, a time or two.

Beats the hell out of a ham sandwich, doesn't it Mickey?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 01:23 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

This isn't a joke about the Irish being dumb, it's about the church...
This joke is relevant today as it was a hundred years ago.

It's an anti-Catholic joke, since it pretends that the clergy is as money hungry as Fagin. And, based on the names of the individuals in the joke, it connotes that certain ethnic groups might be more money hungry than other ethnic groups. All in all I did not find it funny. I would sooner find the people that found it funny, funny; sort of like laughing at the person that finds "knock-knock" jokes funny. Ta my way of tinkin', if I'm tinkin' et all! [Foofie's eyelids flutter closed, as he speaks.]
Foofie

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 01:34 pm
Setanta's joke reminded me of another joke:
Hymie had lived his entire life as an orthodox Jew. Now as he neared his senior years, he wondered what life was like for the less religious. So, he shaved his beard, got a haircut, bought a new suit, and wore it in a fancy car he rented. He was driving it around town when he was hit by a large truck. He died instantly. Up in heaven he sees God, and asks, "My Lord, I was religious my whole life, and now I just wanted a little bit of the life that others experience. Why did you let that big truck crash into my rented car?" God answers: "Is that you Hymie? I didn't recognize you without the beard."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 01:45 pm
@Advocate,

Advocate wrote:

Shouldn't this joke [?] be in the "Really Bad Joke" thread?

Yes. Joke Critics are not allowed outside the "Really Bad Joke" thread.
0 Replies