neologist

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 12:22 am
@InfraBlue,
Other substances, yes. But you're not suggesting cocaine is ok, are you?
JimmyJ

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 01:17 am
@neologist,
It's not wrong to snort cocaine because the Bible says so or does not say so. It's wrong to snort cocaine because it does your body harm (scientific evidence tells us this).

Come on, now. That was such a feeble attempt at a counter-argument that your heart can't possibly have been in it.
neologist

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 02:07 am
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
It's not wrong to snort cocaine because the Bible says so or does not say so. It's wrong to snort cocaine because it does your body harm (scientific evidence tells us this).

Come on, now. That was such a feeble attempt at a counter-argument that your heart can't possibly have been in it.
The Bible does not mention cocaine. I never said it did. Why do you assert otherwise? Is it because you are so inclined to prove your mental superiority you feel it is not necessary to read my posts? You may be smarter than I am. But I have yet to see evidence.
JimmyJ

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 02:14 am
@neologist,
Quote:
The Bible does not mention cocaine. I never said it did. Why do you assert otherwise? Is it because you are so inclined to prove your mental superiority you feel it is not necessary to read my posts? You may be smarter than I am. But I have yet to see evidence.

You used it to support your argument.

Your argument: The 7th day has not ended. There are no quotes in the Bible to support this. There are also no quotes that explicitly say "do not snort cocaine", but I know not to do that.

My counter-argument (that pretty much shatters what you just said): The Bible does not mention cocaine, but we know from modern science that cocaine has negative effects on the body. We don't need the Bible to make this conclusion nor does the Bible tell us anything on the matter. Therefore, your analogy is false.
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 11:31 am
Lots of drugs are made from plants and things, nothing wrong with that..Smile-
"Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing" -Ezekiel 47:12

It's only habitual junkies who abuse drugs who get them a bad name
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 12:20 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
You used it to support your argument.
My argument was/is that not everything is specifically mentioned in the Bible.

But, of course, you missed that.

Don't be ashamed. Confirmation bias is strong in you.
JimmyJ

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 06:58 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
My argument was/is that not everything is specifically mentioned in the Bible.

But, of course, you missed that.

Don't be ashamed. Confirmation bias is strong in you.

That's a horrible argument. We're talking about something that is directly related to Biblical interpretation and you can't find a quote to support it. You then go on another tangent and talk about drugs? Come on, now.
neologist

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:04 pm
@JimmyJ,
With some folks on a2k, I feel like we are not on the same page. With you, I fear we are not even in the same library.
JimmyJ

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:07 pm
@neologist,
Just admit that you made a faulty argument and move on to the next argument please.
neologist

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:20 pm
@JimmyJ,
Perhaps it is your command of English
JimmyJ

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:25 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Perhaps it is your command of English

... Try to examine your statement from an outside point of view. Maybe that will help you see how silly it is.
neologist

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 07:58 pm
@JimmyJ,
I don't know why I bother.
All I was trying to show is the scriptures don't need to be specific to be instructive.
Doesn't need to mention cocaine or speed; it's covered in Paul's statement.
Doesn't need to mention shotguns or cannons; it's covered in Jesus' admonition.
Doesn't need to explain gravity. It was written for the unlettered.
Doesn't need to specifically say the seventh creative day is still going. It should be obvious from the specific languge associated with the first 6.
Sorry if you don't get it.
JimmyJ

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 08:18 pm
@neologist,
Those are all examples of your mind seeing what it wants to see.

Religion is one of the most highly-evolved ideas in human history. As science grows, the "theologians" attempt to fit their belief into our knowledge.

I'm sorry if you're not willing to acknowledge that you made a false analogy and paid for it.
InfraBlue

Fri 20 Dec, 2013 09:50 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Other substances, yes.

What do you mean by that? Can you elaborate?

neologist wrote:
But you're not suggesting cocaine is ok, are you?

Cocaine is about as ok as any other substance that can defile the flesh.
neologist

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:02 pm
@JimmyJ,
Grade your own papers, Jimmy. I'll understand.
neologist

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
Applies to tobacco use, also. Is that what you needed to hear?
JimmyJ

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 12:21 pm
@neologist,
Quote:

Doesn't take grading my own papers to see when someone has a clearly flawed argument... Pretty sure any highschool kid could look at what you said as an analogy and see how fallacious it is.
neologist

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 02:12 pm
@JimmyJ,
I wrote:
JimmyJ wrote:
Doesn't take grading my own papers to see when someone has a clearly flawed argument... Pretty sure any highschool kid could look at what you said as an analogy and see how fallacious it is.
For the record, this is the background of our discussion of whether the Bible need be specific in order to provide useful information. (It started with a discussion of whether the 7th creative day was still in effect) You asked for a citation. I responded:
Quote:
Would you still be an atheist if I were to provide such? Then why should I make the effort?
JimmyJ wrote:
I'd still be an atheist because it's only confirming that the Bible (a book which I belief to be nonsense) says something.

However, for the sake of the argument, you don't have any quotes do you?
I wrote:
I don't have any quotes telling me it's wrong to snort cocaine, either. But I know the scriptures well enough to realize it is.
I then quoted Paul's admonition about defiling one's flesh, adding that it covered many things not known to the ancients. (Including tobacco use, BTW)

Tell me what you are dissatisfied with. Or, tell me what I have left out.

InfraBlue

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 03:25 pm
@neologist,
I needed you to elaborate your obtuse response.
neologist

Sat 21 Dec, 2013 05:52 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
I needed you to elaborate your obtuse response.
I thought you were smarter than that.