Pope Benedict to resign

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 12:22 pm
I read a succinct article by one of my long time favorite writers, Jane Kramer.

I concur with all she says in the article, though I didn't fine tooth comb every sentence. I suppose we have the same biases from different starting points, but I have found her to be an excellent reporter over the years. And.. she's the only person besides me who I've read mentioning Hans Kung.

Anyway, I think this article will annoy some and interest others:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/02/what-the-pope-can-pray-for.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 10:46 pm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/21/pope-retired-amid-gay-bishop-blackmail-inquiry

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 01:10 am
The Cathlic Church is deeply flawed, not only in terms of practices but in its dogma.

I am, by no means, a defender of the Catholic Church, but I can be perceived to be so, because I find its critics in this forum to be, largely, motivated by a convenient and cowardly view of these matters.

Many of the harshest critics of the Catholic Church and its leaders wouldn't be caught dead leveling the same criticism against non-Christian religions and their leaders.

The leaders of Christian churches are at best hypocrites and far more likely to be described as corrupt pedophiles intent upon forcing everyone to kiss their rings and abide by their dictates.

Meanwhile, the Dali Llama is a saint on earth and criticism of Islam and it's leaders is taboo and a sign of xenophobia and racism.

Unfortunatley the vast majority of "priests," no matter what their religion are, like the vast majority of people, not up to their promises, but this doesn't mean that all of them are debased and dishonest.

I'm not defending Christianity as much as I am defending Western culture from self-loathing Westerners who have decided that it is intellectually cool to castigate anything that can be defined as Western, and to raise to a level of importance that cannot be justified, any culture that is not Western, simply because it is not Western.

All religions have a valuable core and those that adhere to these codes for life have often done very remarkable and enriching things. To cast them all as superstitious charlatans is not only ignorant, it's stupid.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 04:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
This is all in your head Finn, corruption and paedophilia should be exposed whoever is doing it. Nobody lets Moslems off the hook you just like casting aspersions. You just like to blame 'Liberals' for ruining everything, basically you've allowed your prejudices to dictate how you see everything.

Maybe you're right, maybe paedophile priests should be given the congressional medal of honour. I'm sure BillRM will support you in this.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:31 am
I heard a news grab today that Benedict has stated that he resigned for the good of the church and not for any personal reasons. What the heck does that mean given all the 'poor old guy' commentary on this thread and everywhere else - or was the quote out of context?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 02:30 pm
Today's cartoon from the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/images/2013/03/11/p465/130311_daily-cartoon-tuesday_p465.jpg
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 05:35 pm
NYT on the 'fallible cardinals' who will elect the next pope

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/world/europe/now-gathering-in-rome-a-conclave-of-fallible-cardinals.html

ossobuco

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 05:58 pm
@hingehead,
I've a photo of my Boston cousin standing with Cardinal Mahoney, taken probably fifteen or more years ago, sent to me in one of her Christmas missives; I saved it as I do family photos. I know she was proud of that meeting that day. So, in addition to the really tough abuses, and the complete abject failure to stop the pattern (warning about arrest, so stay away!!!!) there is also the effect on laity, parishioners who are having people they respected for years fall from 'grace'. She's pushing ninety now, and is likely quite sad about all this.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:55 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Nobody lets Moslems off the hook

Pure and utter bullshit, and you are one who does.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 02:15 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
**** off Finn, you are so full of it. yours is a world so twisted up with ignorance and bigotry you don't know what reality is any more.
Advocate

Reply Thu 7 Mar, 2013 08:51 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

**** off Finn, you are so full of it. yours is a world so twisted up with ignorance and bigotry you don't know what reality is any more.

Izzy, it seems that everyone is a bigot in your view. Maybe you are a little sick ****.
hingehead

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 02:14 am
@Advocate,
Do tell advo, I can count on one finger the people's know he's accused of bigotry. Give me, oh I don't know, five more a2k handles so I have to use two hands, I'm guessing ill see a pattern form, and I do love patterns. And Fridays.. I'm guessing you've been accused because Finn rarely has, or wants, anyone defending him.

For the record I'm accused bigot too, just not by izzy.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 02:24 am
@hingehead,
Thanks for the support mate, Advocate spends most of his time blasting out pro-Israeli propaganda. Anyone who refuses to accept that Israel can do no wrong is a Nazi in his book.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 07:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
Nobody lets Moslems off the hook

Pure and utter bullshit, and you are one who does.

Here you go Finn. Just for you.

Quote:
Three men have been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and false imprisonment within the grounds of an Islamic girls' school, police said.

Police said they were investigating reports surrounding the welfare of a small group of teenage girls at Jamea Al Kauthar in Lancaster.

A 40-year-old from Bolton and two men from Blackburn, aged 30 and 53, are in police custody.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-21740704

Now, I think that if those men are guilty they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, regardless of what religion they claim to profess.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 09:14 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Do tell advo, I can count on one finger the people's know he's accused of bigotry. Give me, oh I don't know, five more a2k handles so I have to use two hands, I'm guessing ill see a pattern form, and I do love patterns. And Fridays.. I'm guessing you've been accused because Finn rarely has, or wants, anyone defending him.

For the record I'm accused bigot too, just not by izzy.

Izzy called me a bigot numerous times. While I didn't keep score, I think he similarly accused others who had the temerity of saying something good about Israel. The anti-Israel folks here, such as Izzy, have never dared say a good word about Israel. Moreover, Izzy strikes me as an anti-Semite.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 08:32 am

The new Pope was finishing his sermon. Being inclusive, he ended it with
the Latin phrase, "Tuti Homini" - Blessed be Mankind.

A women's rights group approached the Pope the next day. They noted that
the pope blessed all Mankind, but not Womankind.

The next day, after his sermon, the Pope concluded by saying,
"Tuti Homini, et Tuti Femini" ... Blessed be Mankind and Womankind.

The next day, a gay-rights group approached the Pope. They said that they
noticed that he blessed mankind and womankind, and asked if he could also
bless gay people.

The Pope said, "Sure..."

The next day, the Pope concluded his sermon with,
"Tuti Homini, et Tuti Femini, et Tuti Fruiti."

Setanta

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2013 09:09 am
@Region Philbis,
That joke really sucked . . . it was so lame . . .

I salute you ! ! !
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 03:51 pm
@hingehead,
Just saw this one Hinge.

One finger?

Do you really think I am the only person izzy has accused of bigotry?
hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I hadn't seen Advocates accusation, just yours Finn, but even counting both I'm still on one hand. That's still short of the Everyone Advocate claimed - or the five more I asked for.

How you been?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:24 pm
@hingehead,
I been fine, thank you; and you?

What accusation?

One hand may have been what you intended, but one finger is what you wrote.

I am very confident that I have never accused izzy of bigotry (although I have to admit I'm not entirely sanguine about his feelings for Jews).

In any case, his charges that I am a bigot, whether ultimately valid or not, have always been born of a frustration of being bettered in a thread.

BTW - I don't, as I know you know, speak for Advocate.