Pope Benedict to resign

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 10:32 am
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/529710_605318176152121_1737266505_n.jpg
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 10:36 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I think it highly possible that his closest associates in the College of Cardinals have convinced him that his ultra-conservative stand on many issues is putting him out of step with the more progressive spirit of the times which his immediate predecessors were more ready to embrace. I believe he is a very sincere priest who has been convinced that stepping down would benefit the Church.

Equally likely is the fact that various scandals the church has been facing aren't going away, and likely have much more to be revealed. And seeing as Ratzinger was personally responsible for covering up all the sexual abuse ones for the last decade or more, I doubt he could escape these scandals untouched.

Cycloptichorn
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:36 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
True, that, Cyclo, but see the posts above suggesting that by resigning he is laying himself open to possible charges, both civil and ciminal, as he will now lose any diplomatic immunity he may have enjoyed. Of course, if he doesn't leave the confines of the Vatican, I'm sure the Cardinals would refuse to extradite him. Smile
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:41 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
mmm, does Castelgondolfo = the vatican territory? Much is owned..
I so remember Pius XII hanging out there.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I don't agree with you but thumbed up your take as something to think about.

I don't think JPII was progressive, friendly as he was. He jacked up the cardinals mightily, all with sim povs to his, far as I read.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 02:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you, Osso. Yeah, you're right about John Paul II. But he had such a warm and outgoing personality it was hard to thin of him as reactionary. Benedict, on the other hand, has the personality of a Sturmschutzstaffelfuehrer.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I think dodging a bullet and then forgiving his would be assassin endeared him to a lot of people, but he was very socially conservative. His immediate predecessor John Paul I, had all the makings of a moderniser, and his untimely death spawned a lot of conspiracy theories.

The Godfather III didn't exactly make them go away either.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It sorta gets me down, all the talk about Ratzinger being a liberal at vatican II. Pah! Maybe slightly, compared to others.

I was a then National Catholic Reporter reader. Those were the days, just before I stopped believing any of it at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Yea, re John Paul I.
I'm not a conspiracy person, as people are too stupid to organize (I'm kidding, I'm kidding) but who knows - that was at least an odd episode.

I read a book that affected me about Pius XII, whom I didn't much like anyway, by a naturally biased guy (former head of the Yugoslav red cross looking for help re the ustache) that wrote some interesting stuff re Cardinal Montini and the papal Pacelli, which I took with a grain of salt but also listening, as his descriptions made sense. That's an oldie, Spy in the Vatican.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:14 pm
If you're the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God...

who do your hand your letter of resignation to?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:15 pm
@Berty McJock,
Berty McJock wrote:

If you're the Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of the Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God...

who do your hand your letter of resignation to?

excellent question

I presume you just announce it and nobody can say you 'nay.'
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
JohnXXIII had the persona of a bao bun, but was very well loved for some good reasons.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:04 pm
does this make him an ex-benedict?
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:06 pm
the thing is though, six months ago he said god gave him the strength to do his job.
now he's retiring because he doesn't have the strength.

*edit: if i was him i'd look for the receipt, and take god back to wherever i got him from, because he's obviously broken.
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
I presume you just announce it and nobody can say you 'nay.'

A horse walks into a bar. The barman says "Sorry mate, we're not doing horse jokes any more. It's all about the pope now"
"It's true", shouts Richard III from the carpark.

sorry it was the "nay" that did it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:33 pm
Pope announces resignation. Beyonce announces possible retirement, practically simultaneously. Coincidence?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:44 pm
@hingehead,
Of course not hinge since I'm not anti-Catholic or anti-Christian.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
hahahahaha!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 06:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
A liberal wet dream.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz