Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 03:10 pm
LOS ANGELES Police launched a massive manhunt for a former Los Angeles officer suspected of killing a couple over the weekend and opening fire on four officers early Thursday, killing one and critically wounding another, authorities said. Two women were also wounded by LAPD who shot at a pickup truck they thought belonged to the suspect.

12 PHOTOS
Ex-LAPD cop accused of going on killing spree

Play VIDEO
LAPD officers on alert as search for shooter continues
The search for Christopher Dorner, who was fired from the Los Angeles Police Department in 2008 for making false statements, began after he was linked to the weekend killing of the daughter of a former police captain and her fiance. That former police captain had represented him during the disciplinary proceeding that led to his firing.

Navy spokesman Keith Dixon told The Associated Press Naval Base Point Loma in San Diego was put on lockdown Thursday afternoon after someone reported that a man matching Dorner's description was in the area. Numerous local police and federal officials are on scene.

"He knows what he's doing," L.A. Police Chief Charlie Beck told reporters Thursday at a press conference. "We trained him. He was also a member of the armed forces. It is extremely worrisome and scary, especially for the police officers involved."

CBS News senior correspondent John Miller, a former head of the LAPD's Major Crimes Division, said on "CBS This Morning" Thursday that authorities were carrying out a manhunt "like none other" to find Dorner.

"He's really thrown down an incredible gauntlet here, and they have deployed every resource the LAPD has," Miller said.

Early Thursday, police came under fire in two separate shootings in Riverside County, east of Los Angeles.

The first occurred in Corona and involved two LAPD officers working a security detail. Police Chief Beck said the officers had gotten a tip that Dorner was in the area. The officers "observed" Dorner, and then Dorner shot at them. One officer was grazed, and they were unable to pursue him because the police car was damaged from bullets.

Later, two officers on routine patrol in neighboring Riverside were ambushed at a stop light, said Riverside Lt. Guy Toussaint. One died and the other was in surgery.

The Riverside officers shot overnight were not actively looking for Dorner, Toussaint said.

"We're asking our officers to be extraordinarily cautious just as we're asking the public to be extraordinarily cautious with this guy. He's already demonstrated he has a propensity for shooting innocent people. We can't provide a lot of information now because we're trying to capture him," said Cmdr. Andrew Smith. "We don't know where he is. We're looking for the public's help to locate this guy. Anybody who sees him or believes they see him or his vehicle should call 911."

Dorner's LAPD badge and an ID were found near San Diego's airport and were turned in to police early Thursday, San Diego police Sgt. Ray Battrick said. Beck said at the press conference he had attempted to steal a boat from a boat owner in the same city on Wednesday, but was unsuccessful and fled.

Dorner is wanted in the killings of Monica Quan and her fiance, Keith Lawrence, who were found shot to death in their car at a parking structure Sunday night, Irvine police Chief David L. Maggard said at a news conference Wednesday night.

Dorner, 33, implicated himself in the killings with a multi-page "manifesto" that he wrote that included threats against several people, including members of the LAPD, police said. They gave no further details on the document or its contents.

Early Thursday morning, officers guarding a target in the manifesto shot and wounded two women in Torrance who were in a pickup.

Report: Police shoot 2 in search for ex-cop Dorner
Ex-LAPD officer: Killings "a necessary evil"
Quan, 28, was an assistant women's basketball coach at Cal State Fullerton. Lawrence, 27, was a public safety officer at the University of Southern California.

The killings brought mourning and disbelief at three college campuses, Fullerton, USC, and Concordia University, where the two met when they were both students and basketball players.

Police said the U.S. Navy reservist may be driving a blue 2005 Nissan Titan pickup truck with a Department of Defense sticker on it. His last known address was in La Palma in northern Orange County near Fullerton. He is believed to be carrying multiple weapons, including rifles.

Dorner was with the department from 2005 until 2008, when he was fired for making false statements.

Quan's father, a former LAPD captain who became a lawyer in retirement, represented Dorner in front of the Board of Rights, a tribunal that ruled against Dorner at the time of his dismissal, LAPD Capt. William Hayes told The Associated Press Wednesday night.

Randal Quan retired in 2002. He later served as chief of police at Cal Poly Pomona before he started practicing law.

According to documents from a court of appeals hearing in October 2011, Dorner was fired from the LAPD after he made a complaint against his field training officer, Sgt. Teresa Evans. Dorner said that in the course of an arrest, Evans kicked suspect Christopher Gettler, a schizophrenic with severe dementia.

Following an investigation, Dorner was fired for making false statements.

Richard Gettler, the schizophrenic man's father, gave testimony that supported Dorner's claim. After his son was returned on July 28, 2007, Richard Gettler asked "if he had been in a fight because his face was puffy" and his son responded that he was kicked twice in the chest by a police officer.

© 2013 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 03:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Damn! Now, if only those victims had all been carrying assault rifles this tragedy could have been averted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 04:15 pm
Christopher Dorner's Manifesto: Los Angeles Cop Killing Suspect Leaves Disturbing Writings On Facebook
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/christopher-dorner-manifesto-ramblings_n_2639141.html?utm_hp_ref=crime&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 04:17 pm
In part:
From: Christopher Jordan Dorner /7648To: AmericaSubj: Last resortRegarding CF# 07-004281I know most of you who personally know me are in disbelief to hear from media reports that I amsuspected of committing such horrendous murders and have taken drastic and shocking actions inthe last couple of days. You are saying to yourself that this is completely out of character of the manyou knew who always wore a smile wherever he was seen. I know I will be vilified by the LAPD andthe media. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil that I do not enjoy but must partake and completefor substantial change to occur within the LAPD and reclaim my name. The department has notchanged since the Rampart and Rodney King days. It has gotten worse. The consent decree shouldnever have been lifted. The only thing that has evolved from the consent decree is those officersinvolved in the Rampart scandal and Rodney King incidents have since promoted to supervisor,commanders, and command staff, and executive positions.The question is, what would you do to clear your name?Name; A word or set of words by which a person, animal, place, or thing is known, addressed, or referredto.Name Synonyms;reputation, title, appellation, denomination, repute. A name is more than just a noun, verb, or adjective. It’s your life, your legacy, your journey, sacrifices,and everything you’ve worked hard for every day of your life as and adolescent, young adult andadult. Don’t let anybody tarnish it when you know you’ve live up to your own set of ethics andpersonal ethos.In 8/07 I reported an officer (Ofcr. XXXX/now a Sergeant), for kicking a suspect (excessive force)during a Use of Force while I was assigned as a patrol officer at LAPD’s Harbor Division. Whilecuffing the suspect, (XXXX), XXXX kicked the suspect twice in the chest and once in the face. Thekick to the face left a visible injury on the left cheek below the eye. Unfortunately after reporting it tosupervisors and investigated by PSB (internal affairs investigator Det. XXXX), nothing was done. Ihad broken their supposed “Blue Line”. Unfortunately, It’s not JUST US, it’s JUSTICE!!! In fact, 10months later on 6/25/08, after already successfully completing probation, acquiring a basic PostCertificate, and Intermediate Post Certificate, I was relieved of duty by the LAPD while assigned topatrol at Southwest division. It is clear as day that the department retaliated toward me for reportingXXXX for kicking Mr. XXXX. The department stated that I had lied and made up the report thatXXXX had kicked the suspect. I later went to a Board of Rights (department hearing for decision of continued employment) from 10/08 to 1/09. During this BOR hearing a video was played for theBOR panel where XXXX stated that he was indeed kicked by Officer XXXX (video sent to multiplenews agencies). In addition to XXXX stating he was kicked, his father XXXX, also stated that hisson had stated he was kicked by an officer when he was arrested after being released fromcustody. This was all presented for the department at the BOR hearing. They still found me guilty andterminated me. What they didn’t mention was that the BOR panel made up of Capt. XXXX, Capt.XXXX, and City Attorney XXXX had a significant problem from the time the board was assembled.Capt. XXXX was a personal friend of XXXX from when he was her supervisor at Harbor station.That is a clear conflict of interest and I made my argument for his removal early and was denied.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 05:33 pm
Here's the NY Times take on it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 06:14 pm
I thought immediately of First Blood. I don't think this guy is as resourceful, and will be caught within a day or two, but he will likely be hard to take down.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 11:45 pm
This will end with flowing blood.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 03:18 am
@edgarblythe,
What a horrible, sad story.
parados

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 08:47 am
@dlowan,
Worst part is the overreaction

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_22544264/police-suspecting-christopher-dorners-arrival-shoot-3-innocent
Quote:
Twice in the same neighborhood before predawn light Thursday, police officers thought Christopher Dorner was coming at them.

And both times they were wrong.

In two cases of mistaken identity, two people were shot in a sleepy Torrance housing tract by undercover Los Angeles police officers protecting a potential Dorner target, and a third was fired upon by Torrance police responding to the first shooting.
dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 06:47 pm
@parados,
I have no idea how to respond to that. How awful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:38 pm
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/307452_434698953279008_1813067195_n.jpg
The perfect hiding place.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:55 pm
LOS ANGELES -- Law enforcement officers have engaged in a gun battle in the mountains of California with a person believed to be a former Los Angeles police officer.

The noise of the gunbattle was broadcast by KCAL-TV, whose reporter suddenly found himself near the fight. Someone could be heard yelling at the reporter to get out of the area.

Road blocks are up around Big Bear, where Christopher Dorner's burned-out pickup was found Thursday.

Authorities have been conducting a manhunt in the area since last week.

He's accused of killing a couple and another cop.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 03:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
amazing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:13 pm
Dorner gun battle: 2 officers shot, 'deputies are everywhere'
Los Angeles Times - ‎18 minutes ago‎
Fugitive former police officer Christopher Dorner allegedly shot and wounded at least two San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies during a shootout with authorities in the Big Bear area Tuesday afternoon, sources said.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:20 pm
Police are in a fierce gunfight with the fugitive ex-LAPD cop suspected of killing three and declaring war on the force, with the wanted man holed up in a cabin in the San Bernardino Mountains, law enforcement sources said.
Two police officers were reportedly injured, and it was not known if Dorner was hit or in custody.
A police source told The Associated Press Christopher Dorner burglarized a cabin on the mountain resort area where days ago Dorner’s truck was found burning. Two people were bound inside the cabin, but one managed to escape and call authorities around 12:50 p.m. local time.
Fish and game wardens spotted a suspected stolen car near the scene and tried to stop it in Big Bear Lake. The driver, believed to have been Dorner, fled on foot, exchanging gunfire, sources told Fox News. Hours later, police were believed to have Dorner cornered in a cabin, exchanging gunfire with the suspect.
San Bernardino police were on the scene the county Sheriff's Department shut down Highway 38 to create a choke point, sources told Fox News. Four area schools were on lockdown.
The shootout came after a day of searching and speculation, with authorities continuing their door-to-door search at Big Bear Lake, even as sources guessed Dorner may have made it over the border and into Mexico.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/12/fugitive-ex-cop-exchanges-fire-with-authorities-ap-source-says/#ixzz2Kj4nGuDn
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:39 pm
Here's a (not very good) map from the L.A. Times showing approximate location of the cabin Dorner's supposed to be in.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef017ee876890e970d-200wi
ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
At least there was daylight.
Thanks for the updates.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 04:49 pm
I don't know about this whole thing re his gripes, and I wish they could just nab him unkilled, whatever pain in the ass that is. But I'm assuming not, given his stated intent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:02 pm
It is very possible he was given shabby treatment when he was fired. But, two wrongs don't make a right. Before he went rogue, I might have had sympathy for him.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2013 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/307452_434698953279008_1813067195_n.jpg
The perfect hiding place.

Mama said knock you out