edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:37 pm
I've lived for short periods of time in LA. Not in time of riots. I spent more of my time in Long Beach.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I pushed a bully in highschool to physically harm me when I replied his "**** your mom" with calm reply of "So you are saying it is more intelligent to say "**** your mom," in a loss of words stupidly, rather than to articulate yourself clearly?"
I may have had a bruised eye, but I kept my dignity. Mr. Green
The funny thing is we are now close friends who keep in touch with each other. A little cussing doesn't hurt anyone. Ok maybe a little bit, but it's nothing mendable. Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:52 pm
I never said a word rougher than damn or **** before I went in the Navy. Come to think of it, I rarely said '****', even then. First time I heard the word, I had no idea what it meant. A friend told me, "My Dad said that when a dog jumps on your leg, he's ******* you." I was totally shocked by the ugliness of it, despite my ignorance. "No he's not," I replied.The friend did not like being contradicted. The next time I contradicted him he came at me and we had a fight. I think I was in the 8TH grade before understanding what it was about.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 07:56 pm
@aspvenom,
Embarrassed
*unmendable
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:16 pm
Old news to some, my husband, now ex but still friend, was playing baseball in watts when the watts riots started, and the later mess started a few blocks from their house, though by then the parents had left to a mobile home village I'd make fun of - re that particular place - but it sounds ok to me, they had stayed way long. Ex wrote a play about a lot of that, no luck.

I was the money earner then. Maybe I was stupid, but I am not sorry.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:16 pm
The interesting thing is that the word and its associated variant phrases is almost exclusively an English language construction. Oh, there are words for sexual congress that are not socially acceptable in other languages but if you said "**** you" in most other languages it would be an incomprehensible construction and the obbject of your insult would most likely walk away, scratching his head, and wondering, "Now what did he mean by that silly expression?" And'*******' as an adjective is virtually unknown outside of the English language.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Well, Americans had to contribute something to the language. Razz
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think the Irish brought it with them and planted it firmly on American soil. Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:30 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Wouldn't be surprised.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2013 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me either.
0 Replies