The stupidity of "magazine control"

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 10:39 am

http://townhall.com/columnists/nealboortz/2013/01/15/obamas-disarm-the-victim-movement-n1489366

Quote:
So now we’re learning that Barack Obama wants to make the sale of high capacity magazines illegal. How nice. Nice --- and easy to expose as completely absurd.

Let’s just use one occurrence to address the dream shared by Dear Ruler and liberals of eliminating these high-capacity magazines in rifles and handguns.

To show the absurdity of this idea, let’s just go back to Loganville, Georgia 11 days ago. Melinda Herman was at home with her two children in this suburban neighborhood. Her husband was at work. Suddenly someone was ringing her doorbell. She was expecting nobody. The doorbell ringing turned into banging on the door. She called her husband. He told her to retreat to a crawlspace off an upstairs bedroom with the 9-year-old twins … and to take her gun … and he called 911.

The banging on the door was a predator – a thug with a lengthy criminal record. He kicked in the door and entered the house. At that point, according to the police, he immediately noticed that someone was at home. The theory is that the predator saw a kid running up the stairs to the safety of his mommy.

Now think about this. At this point the predator knew that someone was home, a child, and that the child’s mother was surely there as well. Was this man dangerous? Oh hell yes he was. If he had not presented a threat to this woman and her children he would have turned and ran as soon as he noticed the house he had broken into was occupied – by children. But he didn’t leave. He didn’t run. He started slamming around the house looking for this woman and her children. Why? To apologize for breaking in? To ask for a drink? Was he going to ask if he could sit a spell and watch Oprah? No. Nuh uh. The ONLY reason he would be looking for the occupants of the house would be to harm them. You have another reason --- let me know. He could have run. He didn’t.

Long story short: He finally hears the woman talking on her cell phone behind the attic door off the bedroom. He turns the knob, opens the door, and is staring down the barrel of a six-shot .38. The woman immediately starts shooting --- she empties the gun --- her husband is on the phone to the police shouting “She’s shooting him! A lot!” But then you can hear him yelling at his wife over the phone “Shoot him again!”

“Shoot him again?” She couldn’t. She had six shots. That was it. She had no more bullets. The predator was still alive. He was alive enough to escape the house begging Melinda not to shoot him again.

So, I ask you … what if there had been two or three thugs breaking into the house that day? What if the other two thugs were in another part of the house and, when they heard the gunshots, came into that room to find their pal on the ground in a pool of his own blood, with Melinda Herman standing over him ---- with an empty gun . What happens to her and her children then?

So another woman – another husband – hears this story and decides that he and his wife will be better able to protect themselves should multiple predators invade their homes. They go out to buy a gun. A Glock 21. A .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol with a double-stack magazine that can hold 14 bullets. That’s a great gun for home defense. Give Obama and the Democrats their way, and Melinda, or any other woman for that matter, will only have a magazine with 7 cartridges in it for their protection. While they’re groping for another magazine – if they even have one – the predators are taking aim. This will not save lives – it will cost lives.

Wait! Not save lives, you say? What about the Sandy Hook tragedy! If that lunatic shooter hadn’t had multiple high-capacity magazines some of those kids would be alive today, right? Nope, sorry. That’s wrong. At the Sandy Hook school there was NOBODY offering any resistance to the shooter. He could slam as many new low-capacity or high-capacity magazines into his guns as he wished. No resistance. Keeps shooting until you run out of targets. If this lunatic had been limited to seven-cartridge magazines he would simply have had to reload more often … with nobody challenging him.

Melinda? Sorry Melinda. You’ve shot the first thug … he’s down. But now his buddies are there and you’re out of bullets. Time to reload? Hardly. It’s time to beg for mercy. Maybe you can throw yourself in front of your kids in an attempt to save their lives. Wouldn’t that Glock with the double-stack magazine come in handy right now? Sorry … Dear Ruler made that illegal.

Well, Melinda … looks like it sucks to be you. Maybe the thugs will show you and your children some mercy. Obama certainly didn’t. The left certainly didn’t. They moved to disarm you. You obeyed the law. The thugs didn’t.

Outlawing high-capacity magazines is nothing less than limiting the ability of victims to defend themselves. Criminals, by definition, will scoff at the law and get whatever magazines they want from their pals in the shadows. Law abiding Americans will reduce their defenses. America under the rule of the left.

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 11:25 am
@gungasnake,
Ya cant put anything on the internet that's outright stupid, right?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 11:34 am
@farmerman,

And suddenly the outright truth comes shining through, bathing liberals with facts and logic.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 02:18 pm
@H2O MAN,
I more like fact and evidence. "Truth" is more a subjective thing to my way of thinking. All the Bible thumpers are in posession of "truth".

That argument was all opinion not fact or evidence. I hope that you can learn the difference .
gungasnake

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 02:31 pm
@farmerman,
You've never considered the possibility that, some day, your ass is gonna be out there in the field with your trusty FAL rifle and a Smirkin-Joe/Bork-Obunga 7 round magazine and, all of a sudden, 20 grizzly bears come out of the woods, and your gonna be wishing you had one of the old standard 20-round mags and your final, dying words are going to be:

Quote:
**** YOU BORK OBUNGA AND JOE BIDEN, MAY YOU ROT IN HELL!!!!!!

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 02:39 pm
@gungasnake,
You do have an active imagination.
Id carry 3 or 4 2lb bags of Tannerite , throw it at the bears and then fire into it. Wed have some bear steaks
roger

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 03:03 pm
@farmerman,
What's Tannerite, and where do I get it. Just sounds interesting, you know.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 03:40 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

What's Tannerite, and where do I get it. Just sounds interesting, you know.

It's great fun, but sub sonic rounds won't set it off Sad
parados

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:11 pm
@gungasnake,
Quote:
all of a sudden, 20 grizzly bears come out of the woods

If 20 grizzly bears suddenly came out of the woods I would assume they must be a armed bear gang with uzzis so I would pull out my trusty photon gun phased to only work on bears and blow them away. And then I would wake up.

In the real world grizzlies don't run around in groups of 20.

If you need a weapon to protect you from something that will never happen, why not carry a weapon that doesn't exist?
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:20 pm
@parados,
http://image1.masterfile.com/em_w/03/27/96/848-03279682w.jpg

You should see the wide shot
parados

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:49 pm
@H2O MAN,
And if you ever bothered to watch any nature programs, you would know that those bears do not hunt as a group nor do they threaten humans as a group. You would never have to worry about 20 of them all attacking you at once. One might but the others would not join in the attack.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:51 pm
@parados,
The picture shows Grizzly bears hunting as a group.
parados

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 04:59 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

The picture shows Grizzly bears hunting as a group.

No, it doesn't. It shows Grizzly bears sharing a fishing area. The stronger bears have control of the prime fishing spots. The weaker bears have to work the edges and stay away from the stronger bears. An invasion by a bear into another bear's area will result in a conflict with one bear backing down. They are not hunting as a group. But you wouldn't know that because you are uninformed.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 05:04 pm
@parados,

**** the ranger Boo Boo
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 09:47 pm
@gungasnake,
Neal Boortz wrote:
While they’re groping for another magazine – if they even have one – the predators are taking aim. This will not save lives – it will cost lives.

Boortz must not have received the memo.* The official gun-nut line isn't that it's difficult for law-abiding gun owners to change clips, it's that it's remarkably easy for law-breaking criminals to change clips. That's why it's useless to ban large-capacity magazines -- because it doesn't stop bad guys from reloading.

*Which is not surprising, given that Boortz, even by conservative commentator standards, is incredibly dense. I'm sure he's an embarrassment to all the other mouth-breathers on the conservative talk-show circuit.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 10:22 pm
I, even I, a thoroughly cynical individual who is never surprised by anything stupid done by human beings, am ASTOUNDED by the right wing paranoia and bullshit over this gun control issue.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 11:20 pm
Left wing panic is spreading
gungasnake

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 09:44 am
@H2O MAN,
Check this out:

http://weaselzippers.us/2013/01/15/texas-state-rep-files-firearms-protection-act-bill-would-make-federal-gun-bans-unenforceable-within-states-boundaries/
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 09:45 am

Obama's kids are protected by guns with more than 7 rounds of ammunition in them.

Are Obama's children more important than any other American child?

Don't ALL American children deserve the same protection under the law?
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 11:11 am
@roger,
Tannerite is a homemade explosive send me a PM if yalls got packs of grizzly bears roamin around waiting to pounce on you.