The stupidity of "magazine control"

roger

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 07:48 pm
@farmerman,
No griz as you well know, but we've got some batshit crazy feral cats. You should still have my email.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 10:50 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I, even I, a thoroughly cynical individual who is never surprised by anything stupid done by human beings, am ASTOUNDED by the right wing paranoia and bullshit over this gun control issue.

When you go about trying to violate people's civil rights, you should expect strenuous objections from those who defend civil rights.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Jan, 2013 10:57 pm

If a law is passed limiting magazine sizes, it should result in a quite profitable black market in high-capacity magazines.

The government might be able to act if they actually caught the magazines being manufactured, but once off the manufacturing site, all anyone would ever have to do is claim "they owned the magazines before the ban" and the government would never be able to prove otherwise.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:12 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Melinda? Sorry Melinda. You’ve shot the first thug … he’s down. But now his buddies are there and you’re out of bullets. Time to reload? Hardly. It’s time to beg for mercy. Maybe you can throw yourself in front of your kids in an attempt to save their lives. Wouldn’t that Glock with the double-stack magazine come in handy right now? Sorry … Dear Ruler made that illegal.

Well, Melinda … looks like it sucks to be you. Maybe the thugs will show you and your children some mercy. Obama certainly didn’t. The left certainly didn’t. They moved to disarm you. You obeyed the law. The thugs didn’t.

I'm expecting a huge step up in power if a 10 round limit passes. Home defense will likely be done with deer hunting rounds.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:13 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
In the real world grizzlies don't run around in groups of 20.

Wolves attack in packs, and so do humans.

I'm not sure that wolves have the same reputation for attacking people that black bears have, but if I were sharing the same patch of woods as a pack of wolves on the hunt, I'd feel more comfortable if I had enough ammo to repel an attack if necessary.

Packs of humans certainly have a reputation for attacking people.
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 06:24 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Quote:
Melinda? Sorry Melinda. You’ve shot the first thug … he’s down. But now his buddies are there and you’re out of bullets. Time to reload? Hardly. It’s time to beg for mercy. Maybe you can throw yourself in front of your kids in an attempt to save their lives. Wouldn’t that Glock with the double-stack magazine come in handy right now? Sorry … Dear Ruler made that illegal.

Well, Melinda … looks like it sucks to be you. Maybe the thugs will show you and your children some mercy. Obama certainly didn’t. The left certainly didn’t. They moved to disarm you. You obeyed the law. The thugs didn’t.

I'm expecting a huge step up in power if a 10 round limit passes. Home defense will likely be done with deer hunting rounds.

I was just nosing around Remington's website, and I see they have their .308 assault rifle available in 7mm-08.

That's just about the same recoil (and killing power) as the .30-30. Perfect for home defense.

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/autoloading-model-r-25.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-r-25/model-r-25-rifle.aspx
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

When you go about trying to violate people's civil rights, you should expect strenuous objections from those who defend civil rights.

I find that funny oralloy since the only civil right you give a damn about is your desire to own as many guns as you want and whatever kind you want. When did you defend the right to vote? When did you defend the right to redress the government over your right to own a gun? The simple fact that you accuse people that are exercising their rights of being haters shows how little you care for civil rights in general.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:03 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If a law is passed limiting magazine sizes, it should result in a quite profitable black market in high-capacity magazines.

Such a black market would create criminals of the people buying and selling those magazines. Are you all for enforcing the laws oralloy? Would you support charging all those persons with felonies? Would you then also support the law that states no felon can own or possess a gun?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:07 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Such a black market would create criminals of the people buying and selling those magazines. Are you all for enforcing the laws oralloy? Would you support charging all those persons with felonies? Would you then also support the law that states no felon can own or possess a gun?

Why don't you focus your attention on the criminal and not the object.

The object is not criminal, the human is.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 09:12 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Wolves attack in packs, and so do humans.

I'm not sure that wolves have the same reputation for attacking people that black bears have

Black bears have a reputation for attacking people?
No wonder you need a gun. You are paranoid about everything.

Quote:

You are 12 times more likely to die of a bee sting than a bear attack (120 times more likely compared to a black bear)

You are 10 times more likely to die from a dog attack than a bear attack (45 times more likely compared to a black bear attack)
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 06:23 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Such a black market would create criminals of the people buying and selling those magazines. Are you all for enforcing the laws oralloy? Would you support charging all those persons with felonies?

No. I would wish godspeed to any brave heroes who kept our nation supplied with large magazines.

And unless people were caught in the act of manufacturing them, how would you go about proving that a magazine was newly made and not 30 years old?
oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2013 06:33 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
I'm not sure that wolves have the same reputation for attacking people that black bears have

Yes.

With a brown/grizzly/kodiak, most attacks are where you surprise a bear and they react in instinctive defense, the bear not knowing if you are a threat to it. The only times they attack humans to eat them are when the bear is unable to hunt and is starving to death (though that does happen sometimes).

Black bears are different. As far as a healthy black bear is concerned, humans are "on the menu".

Luckily that is offset by the fact that most black bears are not nearly as big as the browns. But still, if a hungry black bear decides to have you for lunch, you better be prepared to fight.

parados wrote:

No. I just acknowledge reality.

"Need" is irrelevant. Remember, I'm an American.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 01:01 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Yes.

With a brown/grizzly/kodiak, most attacks are where you surprise a bear and they react in instinctive defense, the bear not knowing if you are a threat to it. The only times they attack humans to eat them are when the bear is unable to hunt and is starving to death (though that does happen sometimes).

Black bears are different. As far as a healthy black bear is concerned, humans are "on the menu".

Luckily that is offset by the fact that most black bears are not nearly as big as the browns. But still, if a hungry black bear decides to have you for lunch, you better be prepared to fight.

parados wrote:

No. I just acknowledge reality.

"Need" is irrelevant. Remember, I'm an American.
WELL SAID !
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 01:46 am
@oralloy,
In the Clinton administration, that had a distinct impact on the popularity of the .45 ACP
oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 02:02 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
In the Clinton administration, that had a distinct impact on the popularity of the .45 ACP

Yes. I predict that if a 10 round limit were passed again, it would result in the widespread popularity of the .50GI round.

I'm too tired to look it up now, but I've posted information on it before. The .50GI has roughly the same energy as the .45ACP +P, and their Glock conversion (not done by Glock) is available with a 9 round clip.

However, I suspect there will be no 10 round limit. Obama badly overreached with his draconian assault on the Constitution. That is likely to prevent anything other than expanded background checks from passing. (And who knows, if he insists on being unreasonable about background checks, he might even lose that.)
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:42 am
draconian assault on the constitution.....that's rich
parados

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:53 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

No. I would wish godspeed to any brave heroes who kept our nation supplied with large magazines.

Which shows why you shouldn't have a gun. You don't care about laws. You actually encourage people to act in a criminal fashion.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 08:57 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

That must explain why there are so few people killed by black bears. Rolling Eyes

27 in North America in the last 24 years. Wow.. We better be careful of black bears. They kill about 750,000 fewer people than people with guns kill.

on a side note.....
Black bears kill fewer people per year than Christmas trees.
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 09:46 am
@parados,
The National Firearms Act of 1934 began the bans of certain style weapons (It initially was just a "tax" but was later upheld in a broader sense in Miller v Us. SO, banning several other assault weapon "appurtenances" may be built upon the NFA. (BUT, Im not certain that this Supreme Court isnt just an arm of the NRA)
roger

Reply Fri 18 Jan, 2013 10:50 am
@farmerman,
Typical. Start out with a tax and kind of ease into a total ban. Actually, the old "divide and conquer" approach seems at least as effective. You know, you can keep your 50 round drum magazine and existing stocks may be sold. No new ones can be produced or sold.

Too bad you gun control people can't be counted on to stop there, but we know you can't, dont we.

Farmerman, I addressed you, and that's not quite fair. I'm sure if it were only you and I, we could work something out. It's them others I don't trust.