The Least Important Problems in the World

chai2

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 09:04 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

And now, the burning question which has eluded philosophers for years, and has caused me much personal anxiety:

Are paper towels and toilet paper supposed to roll underhanded or overhanded???

I know I will always lose this argument, due to the huge number of wrong minded people out there, but the answer for toilet paper is UNDER.

Do you get that?

UNDER, UNDER, UNDER.

Same for paper towers. Mine are on a verticle spool, but still tears more easily when it is placed UNDER.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 01:44 pm
@chai2,
If a man is standing, as he should, to relive himself and wants to tear off one sheet of toilet to dab himself dry (as he should, rather than shake the last drops EVERYWHERE) it is difficult, if not impossible, to get one sheet off if the toilet paper unrolls from under.
Over like a waterfall, the same as in every hotel everywhere, or there will be drops flying everywhere.

Joe(Think Q, Think Q much mush)Nation
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 01:53 pm
@Joe Nation,
The deal is to have your toilet actually be a waterfall - see the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. I did, women could go in and look or at least I did, maybe 1970, quiet place that time. Now revamped, I would guess, to be more water conserving.

http://www.urinal.net/madonna/

I also went into the men's room at the Bel Air Hotel once. Have a photo somewhere. That was the first time either of us had seen a urinal full of ice, and maybe the last. Haven't talked with my ex about that lately. No big trip to get there, we lived a few miles away and went there for, breakfast/brunch. Donald Sutherland was in line behind us. Not to the urinal, no, but to the dining room or whatever it was called.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Or like this public loo in London. You can enjoy a cream tea whilst dabbing.

http://londonaficionado.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/tea-in-victorian-urinal.html
vonny

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:05 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Quote:

It can only be over! Under means you have to handle the roll too much. If it's over, then all you need do is lightly touch the heel of your hand to hold it whilst you tear off a sheet with the other hand - or at least that's the way I see it Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:13 pm
@vonny,
I don't get you re the germs, unless you have someone in your house with ebola or similar. But over seems smart re access. Mostly I only care that the roll is somewhere nearby.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 02:19 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Let this not happen at Ostia Antica..
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 04:13 pm
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

Quote:

It can only be over! Under means you have to handle the roll too much. If it's over, then all you need do is lightly touch the heel of your hand to hold it whilst you tear off a sheet with the other hand - or at least that's the way I see it Laughing

When it's under you only need one hand.

you reach out with let's say your right hand, grab the toilet paper on the left hand side, and swipe your hand to the left.
The presence of the roll on top of the paper you are tearing off acts as a base, and the paper tears against it.

I just realized, I reach with my right hand, and tear the paper to the right, as my toilet paper roll is one of the open ended jobs, the opening on the left. If you swiped it to the left the roll would come off.

In any event, it's more efficient and more attractive to have it roll under.

Here is further proof under is the correct way....

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/why-you-should-hang-toilet-paper-the-wrong-way.jpg
roger

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 04:43 pm
@chai2,
See? Even a cat knows which way works best.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 04:46 pm
@roger,
And cats never shut the door.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 05:02 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

See? Even a cat knows which way works best.

That's right....under

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 11 Oct, 2013 05:10 pm
Look what happens when you get a toilet trained cat and an improperly hung roll of toilet paper.

It's a house of cards I tell you, a house of cards.

0 Replies