The Least Important Problems in the World

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 10:09 am
When choosing a checkout line at a supermarket, is it more efficient to pick the shorter line where people have full baskets, or a much longer line where customers have a modest number of things?
djjd62

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 10:13 am
apropos of nothing

every time i see this thread i think of this song

She's in the kitchen,
Crying by the oven
It seems she really loved him

He's so drunk he's
Passed out in a Datsun
That's parked out in the hot sun
In the saddest vacant lot in all the world

Boldly going
Where he rarely knows
But he'll miss her when he goes

What a shame
As she drifts out of reach
While he's still drunk asleep
In the saddest vacant lot in all the world
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 10:40 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

When choosing a checkout line at a supermarket, is it more efficient to pick the shorter line where people have full baskets, or a much longer line where customers have a modest number of things?

This has recently changed. It used to be that the shorter line was more desirable, because it took people forever to write out checks.

With so many people now using debit cards, choose the longer line.

Also, the line with the most single guys is even better.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 02:01 pm
@8-e-tude,
Your hyperbole has been recorded and witnessed. Good for you. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

DavJohanis

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 02:07 pm
The least important problem in the whole world, is the one you do not look at and your life does not change because you did not.

I suppose there are many varieties of that kind.

An example I suppose would be, 'I have not cut the grass, yet'.
It simply changes nothing, even if lasting years, because the effort will be less then due to the singular nature of the grass you attempt to cut.

D.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 05:08 pm
@DrewDad,
Sand on the OUTSIDE of a wine bottle has never risen to the level of problem in my life, in fact, I have often dug a hole to partically bury the open bottle so the damned thing won't fall over. I like the glass holders, although I must admit my companions and I seldom used glasses, preferring to pass both the pipe and the bottle back and forth and around and around.....

Joe(until the fire completely died down and the stars got bright)Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 05:21 pm
@Phoenix32890,
OOOOH, Phoenix, this is a MATH problem.
Take action.
Go down the long line with your iPhone in hand and add up the number of items in all of the baskets. (This is also the opportune time to expose all of those bastards who are in the LESS than FIFTEEN items Line with SEVENTEEN items!! Beat them about the head and shoulders with a bottle of HEAD AND SHOULDERS.)
ahem.
Then go down the shorter line and make everybody in that line count their items. Say you are with the um, the Department of Homeland Security, make them put the items on the floor if necessary, in order to get an accurate count.
Then, visually assess each cashier for concentration, efficiency and lack of eye contact. (Nothing slows down a line more than some of that Southern "Hi, how y'all doin' today? " crap.)
Pick the line where the cashier has a glassy look, almost meditative, in order to finish your calculation.
Okay. Take the total number of items for both lines and divide by the CASHIER EFFICIENCY FACTOR, (the faster cashier will be more than three times faster, trust me, I've done a lot of this research while rushing to get to the beach or after drinking a six pack of tall boys without stopping for relief.)
Joe(you're welcome)Nation
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 07:13 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Take the total number of items for both lines and divide by the CASHIER EFFICIENCY FACTOR, (the faster cashier will be more than three times faster, trust me, I've done a lot of this research while rushing to get to the beach or after drinking a six pack of tall boys without stopping for relief.)

Which brings me to a related, even less serious problem. I have cards to both Costco and Sam's. Costco has one of the most efficient checkout systems that I have ever encountered. In that area, Sam's apparently gets their checkout staffs from Wal-Mart rejects.

Now here's the rub. There are things that Sam's carries that I like better than the comparable product at Costco. So I am faced with the daunting choice of:

Getting something that is a 2nd choice at Costco, and being whisked speedily through the checkout process and out the door.

Getting my first choice at Sam's, but spending too many miserable minutes on the line cursing out Sam Walton.

"Tis a puzzlement"
dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2013 10:14 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Cease to be attached to a speedy getaway at Waltons and enjoy the queue in full mindfulness.

Next problem?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 08:52 am
Is it better to walk or run in the rain?

Rap
ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 10:50 am
@raprap,
Dancing is preferred.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 11:03 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Is it better to walk or run in the rain?

Rap

Walking in the rain is preferred depending upon whom one is walking with. Walking in the rain alone would seem a bit of a downer to me.
Running in the rain is preferred if you are training for a long race, then, on race day, the dry pavement will be a real blessing or, if it's raining, it will be nothing you haven't been through before.
~
WAIT: Your question is really related to how wet you would get in either circumstance? Right?

The answer is IF you will be, in either circumstance, in the rain for less time than it takes to get completely soaked, you should run because it's a question of much time you are getting wet rather than whether you hit more raindrops by moving faster.

Joe(I have no real proof on my theory. I just like the way it sounds)Nation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 11:28 am
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Getting my first choice at Sam's, but spending too many miserable minutes on the line cursing out Sam Walton.

This dilemma has been solved by games on smartphones.
0 Replies

DavJohanis

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2013 12:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Another one of the least important problems in the world is the ability of mankind to fall victim to war and peace.. In that because it is peaceful, there must be war brewing.. Since war is brewing one might watch the news and realise that vision only works the one way, so responses are not really noted...

Any-way, soldiers want to get home for some 'shootin the sh..'.

It is not really so worrying, when that mostly amounts to falling down drunk and a mouth full of 'half lied' buddy chat.

Then there is the issue of petitions, do you know that petitions toward the government are ignored to such extents that what people want the world to change into, often does not get listened to, because it is a lesser issue to them?.
Sex offender tagging schemes are rarely noticed as worth signing the online forms, it seems at least..

Huh, I guess its a slight concern, so there you have it.
0 Replies

Wrathe

Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2013 08:04 pm
Helium shortage
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:46 am
@Wrathe,
Excellent example!
I have personally swore off of buying any of those Happy Birthday balloons.

Think about how much Helium I have saved!

Joe(full of gas)Nation
0 Replies

Phoenix32890
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 06:24 pm
And now, the burning question which has eluded philosophers for years, and has caused me much personal anxiety:

Are paper towels and toilet paper supposed to roll underhanded or overhanded???
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 07:45 pm
@Phoenix32890,
0 Replies

8-e-tude

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 07:00 am
the least important problem is finding the value of x and y........in maths

Mental
Attack
To
Healthy
Students