The nurse who took the prank call committed suicide

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:31 am
It's been on the news all morning. The woman who spoke with the Aussie DJ's who made the prank call to Kate Middleton's hospital has committed suicide.

This can't be the only reason because it's rather an extreme reaction, don't you think? It's sad, but I really think there must be something else behind her action.

Sturgis

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:47 am
@Mame,
It is an extreme reaction and according to the news story, she wasn't the one who gave out information, she was the first person to answer the phone and then transferred it through. According to one article, she'd been with the hospital for more than 4 years and was both well liked and respected by colleagues.

No idea if there were other difficulties going on in her life or if she was already feeling despondent over things in general. Quite often persons who are suicidal don't seem to exhibit any signs of depression.

I will wait for more to see how the story unfolds. Very sad, tragic.

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:18 am
@Sturgis,
No matter what all the factors happen to be it still a very sad event.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:20 am
I tried to find them on twitter. Apparently, the pranksters,Mel Greig (MelGreigHot30) and Michael Christian (MContheradio), have their twitter account deleted. I wonder why?
Is this done for investigation purposes??
BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:47 am
@aspvenom,
Quote:
Apparently, the pranksters,Mel Greig (MelGreigHot30) and Michael Christian (MContheradio), have their twitter account deleted. I wonder why?
Is this done for investigation purposes??

If you are investigating someone the last thing you would wish to do is prevent them from "talking" as the prisons would be almost empty but for those who had talk themselves behind bars.

I had a feeling that they delete those accounts themselves likely under the suggestion of their lawyers or the radio station lawyers.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 12:12 pm
Speaking as a UK citizen (we haven't been "subjects" for some time now) I am disgusted at the whole media frenzy around Kate bloody Middleton. Any nurse is worth a hundred times more than parasites like her. This story is very sad.

fresco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 01:09 pm
@contrex,
Speaking as another UK citizen I agree about the "media frenzy", but that has nothing to do with the relative worth of two other citizens. Any "parasites" here are the media themselves (UK and Australia in particular), whose activities are too often either intentionally or unintentionally pernicious.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:01 pm
@fresco,
Plus, naturally, the readers and listeners.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Statement from Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) owner of 2Day FM, the station behind the hoax:

"Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) and 2Day FMWe are deeply saddened by the tragic news of the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha from King Edward VII's Hospital and we extend our deepest sympathies to her family and all that have been affected by this situation around the world. Chief executive Rhys Holleran has spoken with the presenters, they are both deeply shocked and at this time we have agreed that they not comment about the circumstances. SCA and the hosts have decided they will not return to their radio show until further notice out of respect for what can only be described as a tragedy."
Source: Nurse Jacintha Saldanha's death: reaction from key parties
BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The radio station PR advisors and lawyers told them to make those two radio talents disappear at least for a time.

So no social networks for now also for them.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 02:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a theory that the majority of the population of media customers are passive consumers, and their favored material to which they have been conditioned (largely for commercial purposes) is equivalent to junk food.
JPB

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 03:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It sounds like the wagons are circling and the attorneys are advising.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 03:24 pm
@JPB,
I was reading this, this morning myself.

From what I gleaned, she answered the telephone as it was 5.30am and there was no reception. She was informed that it was "Her Majesty and His Royal Highness" and the presenters also had someone in the background apparently, attempting to sound like her dogs.

She put the call through to the Nurse assigned to Kate and that nurse disclosed private and confidential information to them, ie) Kate's statis.

I also read where she had, had some difficulties and the Hospital was helping her with that, (the Nurse). I can only imagine that she thought due to it being about "Royals" that she would be fired, maybe sent back home and it was the last straw for her, from what ever other problems she was facing...

It is extremely sad and I think that the Media, regardless of running things past Lawyers, sometimes make stupid decisions that create domino effects or in this case, suicide. Same as the 14 year old girl last year, from the same station that stated she had been raped... What occured from that statement from the presenter was discusting.. That young girl, could have also taken her life from what Karl came back at her with.

Bet the ratings will climb higher not lower, they always do for some reason at the expense of someone else.
dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 03:46 pm
@fresco,
It seems to be a shock jock station....been in big trouble before.
I hate practical jokes.

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 04:16 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:

Same as the 14 year old girl last year, from the same station that stated she had been raped... What occured from that statement from the presenter was discusting.. That young girl, could have also taken her life from what Karl came back at her with.

what happened in that case? I didn't hear about it.
djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 04:24 pm
@Mame,
http://jezebel.com/5325356/teenager-reveals-rape-on-australian-radio

Teenager Reveals Rape On Australian Radio

Australian radio station 2Day FM is drawing criticism after its hosts (seen at left) made a 14-year-old girl reveal her sexual assault as part of a "lie detector" segment today.

In the segment, which sounds distasteful under normal circumstances, mom Michelle brought her daughter Rachel to the studio to submit to a lie detector test about drinking, drugs, sex, and cutting school. Hosts Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O'Neil Henderson went along with this questionable form of therapy/shaming, engaging in the following dialogue:

JACKIE O: We're all a bit nervous actually because mum Michelle has brought her daughter in to go on the lie detector…

JACKIE O: What's your worst fear, is it the sex, is it the lying, the possibility of doing drugs, smoking?

MICHELLE: Drugs and sex and older boys …

JACKIE O: Has she told you she's had sex before or do you think she's a virgin?

MICHELLE: … I think she might have had sex before.

JACKIE O: Right. But she hasn't said anything?

MICHELLE: No.

Rachel said she was scared, but that didn't stop the hosts from asking her about cutting class. Then her mother asked her about sex. Sounding angry, Rachel said, "I've already told you about this and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny! Oh, OK! I got raped when I was 12 years old!" Handling the situation pretty much as poorly as possible, host Kyle responded, "Right. And is that the only experience you've had?" Then the girl and her mother engaged in this upsetting exchange before Jackie O had the belated wisdom to shut the segment down:

MICHELLE: I only found out about that a couple of months ago. Yes, I knew about that.

RACHEL: And yet you still asked me the question.

MICHELLE: The question was, have you had sex, other than that?

Rachel didn't have to answer, luckily, because Jackie O stopped her and offered counseling, at the station's expense. Kyle and Jackie O say they didn't know about the rape prior to the segment, and 2Day FM has issued an apology. Many in Australia, however, are rightly critical of the station and hosts. New South Wales Community Services minister Linda Burney says, "it was apparent that the announcers were only interested in shock value and entertainment and weren't at all concerned about the welfare and wellbeing of a 14 year old." And Karen Willis, manager of a rape crisis center, says,

First, an adult person asking a child about their sexual experiences is not on, and to do that in a public arena is quite frankly harassment of a child. Then when [the girl's] answer came, to glibly ask whether she'd had any other experiences, rather than getting her off air as soon as possible … it's abuse of a child really.

Australia's Department of Community Services is investigating the assault. If the radio station receives complaints about the segment, Kyle and Jackie O will probably have to submit to stricter screening for their show to make sure it meets decency standards. The group Media Watch says contestants on the lie detector segment have previously been asked to discuss "STDs; masturbation; anal sex; threesomes; and eating faeces during sex." Kyle and Jackie O have also drawn fire for a variety of dares and practical jokes, including pretending to blackmail a pop star with photos of her having sex.

It seems borderline abusive to subject a child to an on-air lie detector test under any circumstances, and especially one known for its previous raunchy content. The hosts should certainly shoulder the blame for agreeing to perform the test on the girl. But the fact that Rachel's mom would bring her on such a show, and allow the hosts to ask her about sex, knowing that she had previously been raped, is perhaps more disturbing. Karen Willis says, "I have serious concerns about [the] mum and her behaviour and I'm hoping there has been some sort of report. It sounds like she's tried to tell [her] mum and she hasn't taken it seriously." Hopefully daughter and mother both take 2Day FM up on their offer of counseling, and hopefully Rachel finds someone to take her seriously, rather than using her pain to entertain an audience.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 04:29 pm
Boy, that's disgusting! And reprehensible on the parts of the hosts and the mother, who sounds like, I don't know what exactly, but terribly negligent.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 04:33 pm
it's sad that this woman felt she had no option but to end her life, but i put the blame squarely on the hospital, a hospital charged with the care of the mother of the future heir to the throne (as this child will be)* should have better systems in place to prevent anyone from gaining access to personnel or information surrounding the patient (any patient really)

the time of day should not make a difference, there should have been a process in place to vet calls that would have avoided any of this unfortunate nonsense

*personally i don't give two shits about the royals, but there position should allow for some protection
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 10:38 pm
@djjd62,
It shouldn't be just for the royals. Every patient and family of a patient should have privacy protections.

When BBB was in the hospital for this last surgery for her hip replacement, I was the only one given any information about her. I had to give the hospital a "password" required for anyone else to use when they inquired about BBB. If they didn't know the password, they got no info.

I'm really surprised that people such as the royals with the sophisticated security systems they have, don't already have something like that in place for all day-to-day circumstances.
Ceili

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2012 11:15 pm
@Butrflynet,
Come on, seriously.. Both of the nurses were probably gob-smacked. It's not as if everyday life prepares you for an event like this. Sure they didn't follow the book, but it was kinda extraordinary circumstances all round. This is just sad. Have a wee bit of sympathy.
0 Replies