Where have you lived or been to?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:21 pm
macsm, You sure that wasn't greater salmon? Wink
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 11:51 pm
No, I'm sure. It's a great little comedy about a fictitious town called Tuna, Texas. Twenty characters are played by two men who change clothes about 50 times in the course of the play - it's fast and hilarious.

Sorry for getting so far off topic! Very Happy
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 03:49 pm
Macsm, so for a certain period of time, you travelled with a troupe
doing "Greater Tuna" in town halls and high-school auditoriums?
Were y'all able to make enough money to get to the next town?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 03:53 pm
The theatre company arranged the tour ahead of time. It lasted 4 to 6 weeks. So we didn't have to worry too much about making money. We got paid no matter what. Collecting the cash wasn't part of my job, thank goodness - I had enough to do! And sometimes we played bigger theatres - in larger cities or at universities.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 05:19 pm
macsm, I hope you understand I was only pulling your leg. Smile I was involved with a little theatre group back in the late fifties when I was stationed at Walker AFB in Roswell, NM. That was a fun time. c.i.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:39 am
Of course, c.i.! Very Happy
0 Replies

baltas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 06:55 pm
Lived: Portugal - Lisbon, Angola - Luanda, Mozambique - Maputo.

Visited: almost all Mozambique, Swaziland, South Africa (Johannesburg, Nelspruit), Spain (Barcelona).

sorry for bringing this topic up again Embarrassed
( I didn't see no one listing Mozambique but I can assure you it's a great country to visit )
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:40 pm
Hi...Welcome. When I was a young lad (back in 1973-1975) I hitch-hiked from Cairo to Capetown, occasionally having to take public transport for one reason or another. Crossing from Malawi into Mozambique was one such situation. I had to take the train as far as Beira, with the engine pushing a couple flat-bed cars ahead in case of land mines.
I thumbed south towards the capital city, usually catching lifts from lorry drivers riding in convoys. Those were troubled times in that country, but I was always treated with kindness and generosity.
---realjohnboy---
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 07:48 pm
baltas, WELCOME to A2K. Feel free to reencarnate any forum that meets your fancy. I do it all the time. c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2003 10:27 pm
Lived in Mass., Madeira, Canary Islands (Lanzarote)

Visited NH, Maine, NY, Vermont, South Car., Canada, England, Sweden, Finland, France, Portugal
0 Replies

baltas

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:25 pm
thanks john and c.i.

john: yes those were troubled times for mozambique. it's much better now but in some cities on the north like Beira it's "all" destroyed because of the war...

c.i.: you were in South Africa and you didn't visit the National Kruger Park?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:45 pm
baltas, It was an organized tour, so we didn't have choices. However, I must say that the parks we did visit were all excellent. We visited four parks total in Zimbabwe, Namibia, and Botswana, and stayed three nights in each private concession camps. We flew from camp to camp, and somebody counted 17 flights from the time we left home, and back to our doorstep. We also spent two nights at Victoria Falls. c.i.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:49 pm
baltas...good evening. Thank you for responding.
Bear with me here. I landed in Cairo quite by accident and embarked on a three year journey through the east and south side of Africa. I started heading home along the west coast but ran into Angola.
It was an incredible few years.
But it was also 25 years ago.
South Africa was still in apartheid; Rhodesia was coming apart, SW Africa was laying the groundwork to become Nambia.

I'm wondering, baltas, if we could begin a little discussion about Africa. I don't think it will be too confrontational; in fact, it will probably elicit few responses. Sad. -realjohnboy-
0 Replies

baltas

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:05 am
Hello again and sorry for not posting earlier but I had exams to enter university so i just put the computer and Internet on rest.

I'm sure we can begin a little discussion about Africa. I'm not a guru about Africa but I know some stuff, mostly because I lived there. 7 years in Mozambique, and 1 or 2 years in Angola. (from Angola i don't remember much because i was little baby when my parents took me there Smile ) In Mozambique I lived there since i had 11 years till 18, and I'm now 19.

By the way, today is Independence Day in Mozambique!

Now that we're talking about Africa let me just say that my grandmother was talking to me the other day, about the first time she went to Mozambique, that was in 1949. She went by ship, she left Portugal on 30th of August '49 and got there on 30th of September '49 (a month!). She didn't like the trip much but she loved Mozambique.

Sorry about my english that is not too good, its not my main language but I'm taking course!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 11:29 am
baltas, Your English is fine; we all understand you. I have not visited Mozambique or Angola, but would be interested in hearing about those two. I have friends in Egypt and Tanzania that I communicate with somewhat regularly. The two tour guides I had in Egypt still send emails once in awhile, but my friend in Tanzania is a physican in Dar es Salaam, and we communicate almost once a week. c.i.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 05:00 pm
baltas...welcome back. I hope your exams went well. Where are you planning to go and what do you intend to study?

I thought this thread was dead. I'd like to compose a question or two for you. It may take a little while. -johnboy-
0 Replies

baltas

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:01 pm
OK realjohnboy, I'll answer those questions in the best way I can.

I'm planning to go to university in Coimbra (stays in center/north of Portugal) and the course i want to go to is Comunications and Design Multimedia. After ending the course I'm planning on having some period of training here and after that, get a job in Mozambique, South Africa or some place in Europe. (I don't want to stay in Portugal Rolling Eyes )

c.i.: I'll try to write some stuff about Mozambique about my experience there, it might take some time. :wink:
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:05 am
edgarblythe wrote:
My original family were migrant workers; we traveled and traveled, starting in Miles Texas and going to most Texas towns where crops needed harvesting. We migrated (minus my father) to California, going from San Diego to Lindsey and on to San Jose. Mom got married to a man who worked in restaurants, but that did not stop the traveling. We were like fleas crawling up and down the belly of California. Much of my childhood was spent returning to schools I had attended before, some as much as three times. We were in Fresno quite a bit. Then we returned to Texas: Corpus Christi. After that I lived in California again, in Kansas City, Brooklyn. My Navy service had me in Japan, the Philipines, Hawaii, Midway, Dutch Harbor Alaska (Aleutians). Of the places we visited I would most like to return to Japan. I currently reside in the Houston area.

I've just been re-reading this thread (yes, I'm one of those!) I was struck by your post Edgar which I hadn't seen before.

You write with poignancy and humor about a childhood that was surely not easy.

I was moved.
-jjorge
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:33 am
jjorge
Yep; still in Houston. But, once I've spent all my retirement money on lottery tikets and become rich I will travel a lot more. :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:56 am
edgar, When you hit that lottery, and make plans for travel, I wouldn't mind being your roommate. I hate paying those single supplements! But, if you hit the lotto, you probably want your own room - and a servant. LOL c.i.
0 Replies