Where have you lived or been to?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:11 am
patiodog, I was six when interred, and ten when we got out. As children, the effect on me was minimal. The hardships were experienced by the adults; they lost almost everything they had at 'home,' and we were allowed to bring to the camps only what we could carry. Our poor mom was responsible for three very young children, and I'm still not sure how she managed. I remember our mother packing cans of Carnation milk for our younger brother, still an infant. It took many years after the war to get back to a relative normal life, but most of us have managed very well in our professional life. c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:17 am
Thanks, c.i. i'm still on the green side of thirty, and it fascinates (and appalls) me that such a thing could have happened. I worked for a while in the Nippon Kan Theater here in Seattle (in "the International District," which would be called Chinatown had the city not chased all of the Chinese out at the beginning of the last century), which has large photos of big events at the theater before WWII. Some Kabuki and a couple of sumo tournaments, along with some less readily identifiable formal events. The absence of similar records of such events after 1940 or so is striking.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 11:40 am
patiodog, As an aside, it amuses me to see "hakujin" (caucasians) in sumo. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 12:04 pm
(as a continued aside, risking digression: does that go for polynesians as well?)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 01:03 pm
Yes. Japan had the hardest time giving the sumo's highest honor to a Hawaiian. That's sorta funny too. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 09:21 pm
Lived in NYC, upstate NY, Ohio, Philadelphia, Okla., Mass., Mo. and now Colombia S.A.

Haven't been and will probobly never go to: California

Been to: Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, Republica Dominicana, Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia. Got a cousin in Norway who keeps inviting me but sounds expensive.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 03:26 pm
This has been very interesting reading. I wonder - some of you don't seem to have a home at all. How do you manage?

My list is not so impressive - but here goes: I was born and raised in Winterlingen/Germany, lived in Stuttgart and now in Balingen - this is all southern Germany. In Europe among other places I visited Paris, London, Vienna, Amsterdam, Gothemburg, Stockholm, Lund, Budapest, Zurich, Graz, Zagreb. In the US New York, Washington, Niagara Falls, Fargo ND, Glenwood Min., Boston, Providence, Philadelphia, Wilmington Del., Tampa, Miami, Key West, Atlanta, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, Daytona, Minneapolis.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 03:41 pm
urs, Your list includes Fargo, ND, one of the least popular tourist destinations in the US for foreign visitors. Why did you visit Fargo? Just curious. c.i.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 03:52 pm
Oh yes c.i., it is not place you're likely to go. My brother went to college there. He went straight from Germany to Fargo. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

We used to have American students staying at our house each summer when we went to school. One of them, Tom Hegna from Glenwood, Minnesota, went on to college in Fargo. My brother absolutely wanted to go to college in the US. So he ended up in Fargo. But it was much too cold for him in winter. He now lives in Atlanta.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 04:08 pm
urs, Atlanta is a nice city. I've visited Atlanta only once, but during my one visit, I visited most the the tourist attaractions including the home of CNN. The north side of Atlanta is called "Buckhead," and many young people crowd the clubs and restaurant scene there. If we did not live in California, my next choice would be Atlanta. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 04:11 pm
Opposite to Fargo (I just know Wells Fargo from many B-films),
Balingen is a touristic pearl in the most lovely Swabian Albs!
And Winterlingen is really wonderful close to some more marvellous places in beautiful Swabia. Very Happy
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 04:24 pm
c.i., yes, I love Buckhead. In fact, I like all of Atlanta. My brother lives in the suburbs - very lovely.

Walter, thanks! How do you know all that?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 04:27 pm
Forum Guide "Travel" and "Europe" Very Happy

No, honestly, urs, I know a little bit of Germany, my sister (and family) are "Badische" [now], a friend is from the Black Forest ...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
urs, Next time you visit your brother in Atlanta, go visit the fresh water aquarium in Chatanooga. It's probably the best in the world. c.i.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:16 pm
I lived in Haiti for three years no one else on his thread has been there, so far. Gee whiz, I wonder why? Laughing

I visited France for a summer, England for a week, the rest is all in the US

When I retire, I plan to travel. I'm so impressed with the places you all have been!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:40 pm
So I had a $200/mo apt in Buckhead long before it was a chic place. I left to go hitching through Europe and Africa for five years or so.
The coolest city at the time, if you were young and white: Capetown
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:48 pm
Ya mean y'all LIKED Hotlanta?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:53 am
Sure, littlek! Of course, I'd probably like every town where my brother lives. I also liked Boston a lot - my brother used to live there, too ;-) He moved to Atlanta because the Boston winter.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:55 am
Walter, 'Badische'? Gelbfuessler???? (yellow footed people) Well...

I am a true Schwaebin! Have you been to our area? I think it is wonderful. From my office building I can see the castle Hohenzollern which looks like a fairytale castle.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:59 am
[You surely know urs: "es gibt Badische und Unsymbadische".]

Yes, I've been around your place - I like travelling to foreign countries, even if I don't speak their languages! Very Happy
0 Replies