parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:52 pm
@georgeob1,
I was just trying to see what possible benefit the GOP would get. It seems the only one they get is a political one where they can try to blame Obama for the military cuts. They don't get any benefit for reducing the deficit that they are willing to stick with.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

I was just trying to see what possible benefit the GOP would get. It seems the only one they get is a political one where they can try to blame Obama for the military cuts. They don't get any benefit for reducing the deficit that they are willing to stick with.

I believe they would reply that Obama has shown no willingness to reduce government spending or address the long-term health of our still growing entitlements - a serious problem the solution to which grows more onerous with every year that it is ignored. They would add that he appears to be playing to the growing population of entitlement beneficiaries to get and hold on to political power, a very dangerous portent for our political and economic future - if history is a guide. I believe they would add that, with the current Administration, our recovery from the 2008 recession is still both precarious and unprecedently slow compared to all others since WWII, and that added regulations and taxes on businesses are generally not good methods to improve the situation: we could easily find ourselves in a second recession on the present course.

I'm confident you will find some illusive and vaporous nit in the above argument, so go for it, amuse yourself.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:26 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I believe they would reply that Obama has shown no willingness to reduce government spending or address the long-term health of our still growing entitlements - a serious problem the solution to which grows more onerous with every year that it is ignored. They would add that he appears to be playing to the growing population of entitlement beneficiaries to get and hold on to political power, a very dangerous portent for our political and economic future - if history is a guide. I believe they would add that,

Have you noticed how many times you believed in your post?

Well I don't think you are completely wrong in your beliefs but as long as there are people like you who believe in this system rather than understand it I think things may be fine.

There is nothing "that I am aware of that has more faith in it than the monetary system. Even if people doubt one sector of it, you can bet that they will embrace another. If a God could get as many people believing in him as the monetary system has believing in it, he would consider himself to be the one and only true God. What other belief is there that both atheist and theist alike believe in?
roger

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:29 pm
@reasoning logic,
You should be aware that some people know the difference between what they believe, what they want to believe, and what they think. It can be a useful quality.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:08 pm
@roger,
Quote:
You should be aware that some people know the difference between what they believe, what they want to believe, and what they think. It can be a useful quality.

It is only useful when they are aware but you do realize that the majority of people are not aren't you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I believe they would reply that Obama has shown no willingness to reduce government spending or address the long-term health of our still growing entitlements

Which would be a lie since Obama has clearly put an offer on the table that would reduce the cost of future entitlements by changing the inflation adjustment. But I guess it's nitpicking to point out lies.
JPB

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:40 pm
@georgeob1,
goergeob1 wrote:
I believe they would add that, with the current Administration, our recovery from the 2008 recession is still both precarious and unprecedently slow compared to all others since WWII

Which a significant portion of the voting public puts squarely at the feet of the obstructionist Republican party.
Thomas

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 01:53 am
@JPB,
I think that's where House Republicans would disagree. They think they can win the blame game after letting the economy go bust. We'll find out.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 04:25 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I think that's where House Republicans would disagree. They think they can win the blame game after letting the economy go bust. We'll find out.

house repubs are not the only ones who fail to grasp that america is increasingly getting to "**** all of you for refusing to do the right thing".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 06:17 am
@Thomas,
I think the 40, or so, "chuckleheads" who wouldn't support Boehner's tax increase on millionaires and billionaires are ideologues who don't care about the blame game. They were elected on an obstructionist platform by heavily gerrymandered conservative districts. Only the looniest of the bunch (a la Alan West) and the more moderates (a la Robert Dold) failed to get reelected in 2012.

Boehner has two problems that he needs to deal with before anyone has to worry about sharing the blame. His obstructionist tea partiers and the Hastert Rule which prevents him from bringing up any bill that doesn't have the support of a majority of the majority. He'll need Dems to get anywhere with his own caucus splintered. He's going to have to choose between his two problems soon.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 06:30 am
Lynn Sweet offers a good summary of where things stand going into the weekend.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2012/12/senate_key_to_fiscal_cliff_sol.html
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 06:08 pm
McConnell has left the building for the night saying talks continue. In the meantime...

@dcbigjohn Tomorrow the house will vote on the drywall safety act of 2012. THANK GOD OUR LONG NATIONAL DRYWALL NIGHTMARE IS OVER
JPB

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 06:10 pm
Quote:
@mkady: Reid, McConnell aim for just a tax deal. Debt limit, sequester off the table for now. via @mkraju @brespolitico politi.co/Ueqzwg

Is anyone surprised?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 06:43 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

McConnell has left the building for the night saying talks continue. In the meantime...

@dcbigjohn Tomorrow the house will vote on the drywall safety act of 2012. THANK GOD OUR LONG NATIONAL DRYWALL NIGHTMARE IS OVER

Many hundreds of thousands of families have been sickened and financially ruined by bad chinese drywall which also ruins electrical and hvac systems....jsyk.
JPB

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, I do know and many of them are in the post-Katrina New Orleans rebuilt neighborhoods, but that's not why it's being voted on on 12/29.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:27 pm
Back on FC news, it looks like the Dems will proceed with an up-and-down vote on $250,000 and unemployment continuation. Little, if any, progress reported on reaching any kind of consensus between McConnell and Reid.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:47 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Back on FC news, it looks like the Dems will proceed with an up-and-down vote on $250,000 and unemployment continuation. Little, if any, progress reported on reaching any kind of consensus between McConnell and Reid.

When was the last time that these two worked together to get something significant accomplished? I don't think working well with those who don't agree with them is in their skill sets.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 07:57 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:
I believe they would add that, with the current Administration, our recovery from the 2008 recession is still both precarious and unprecedently slow compared to all others since WWII

Which a significant portion of the voting public puts squarely at the feet of the obstructionist Republican party.

that's 100% of what I hear from my U.S. colleagues. very odd (to my ear), as they were about 90% conservative/Republican voters four years ago.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:00 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
They would add that he appears to be playing to the growing population of entitlement beneficiaries

this angle of Romney's really pissed off the people I regularly talk to in the U.S. - and they are very much in the silver spoon, John Jr, David III, Donald esq. crowd. Lots of vets with senior parents - the 47% / entitlement thing kept a lot of them out of the polling booth.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2012 08:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
McConnell is actually known for drafting a number of compromise bills including TARP. I don't think he's gonna be able to pull a rabbit out of this hat though.
0 Replies