JPB

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 06:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
The Rs really don't want drastic cuts to the military budget. Other than that, I think both sides are willing for the tax increases that will come automatically and then they can give a smaller tax cut and call it a cut.
JPB

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 06:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
Mostly they're interested in winning reelection and not giving up control of their respective chambers.
spendius

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 06:23 pm
@JPB,
That's amazing JP. Who would have thought it?

I'm such an innocent.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 06:26 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
I'm such an innocent.

We know that what the men in the long dark robes had done was not the pupil's fault.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:11 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Mostly they're interested in winning reelection and not giving up control of their respective chambers.

In other words it is all about them....which is why I say throw them all out, kill off both parties, and let's start over.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

In other words it is all about them....which is why I say throw them all out, kill off both parties, and let's start over.

It's "about them" in the sense that it's about their two competing visions for the direction America should take. Those are the two visions that have gotten the votes. You'd replace them with an undemocratically empowered vision for the country that hasn't gotten any votes?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:37 pm
@Kolyo,
I would replace them with adults, you know, people who somewhere along the way learned to work together and learned to focus on the most criticle problems.

The average effective age of those in Congress and Obama is seven years old.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 07:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
Here's a thought: someone should found a nonpartisan super-PAC to support that sort of thing -- candidates who are actually qualified based on having run the gamut of life experiences. You could start by requiring any candidate you endorsed to have an actual law degree. Many of the kids running for office where I live don't bother to get one of those, these days.

But I digress...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:55 pm
Have EVERYBODY in the House and the Senate be a lawyer? Are you mad? You really want 535 lawyers making all the decisions? Good gods, NO.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2012 11:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Have EVERYBODY in the House and the Senate be a lawyer? Are you mad? You really want 535 lawyers making all the decisions? Good gods, NO.

Two points:

(1) It doesn't really have to be just law. PhD's in Economics might do. Because does it really make sense, either, to have tons of people like Deb Fischer in the Senate who will simply vote at their party's call? And my congressional district could soon see a rep who's done nothing in his or her life besides serve in the state house or senate.

(2) I would not attempt to determine the composition of the entire legislative branch. I'm setting advanced degrees as a pre-requisite for getting the endorsement of my own PAC. Other PAC's will endorse different people; mine won't always prevail.

(Basically this is a PAC that would support well-qualified, clever types like Elizabeth Warren or Ted Cruz, without regard to their partisan affiliation.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:44 am
What she said...

Quote:
ABC’S AMY WALTER: Perhaps it’s because I’m a parent to a six-year-old, but the only way to make sense of the fiscal cliff shenanigans is to put it in child rearing terms. If there is no consequence for bad behavior, then the bad behavior will continue. Think how many times you have heard (or said) “if you don’t stop this right now then X will happen.” When X doesn’t happen (the car doesn’t pull over, dessert is still served etc), the child learns that he or she can indeed get away with breaking the rules. In Washington, the only real consequence is losing an election. And, since both sides believe they won in 2012 (Democrats held the White House and Senate despite high unemployment; Republicans held the House despite sky-high disapproval ratings), neither side sees a real downside to letting the country fall off the fiscal cliff. A frustrated public, a declining Dow — these are not the consequences that will spur either side to action. It’s only when defeat, real lasting defeat is felt, that compromise will happen.

The problem is that "real lasting defeat" isn't possible when the election process has been usurped by gerrymandered districts, special interest groups and super pacs. The House will stay R until at least 2020. The Senate will, in most likelihood, remain D. Until such time as we don't have to pass the Grover Norquist (or Club for Growth, etc) test, and the AARP test, and the Chamber of Commerce test, and this test and that test we will remain as we are - in perpetual gridlock and debt ceiling crises.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:59 am
@Kate_HunterDC BREAKING NEWS: Obama Said to Plan Offer of Scaled-Back Budget Package bloomberg.com via @BloombergNews

This report was floating around yesterday too. We'll see if the WH denies it as quickly as they did yesterday. Dow down 83 pts.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 11:29 am
I think it's pretty clear that both sides in this impasse have calculated that their respective situations will be better without an agreement. Obama gets both automatic tax increases and the excuse to blame it all on Republican intransigence. The House Republicans, partiucularly those elected in 2010 are determined to get some serious action on reducing government borrowing and spending, as well as serious steps to begin addressing the long-term financial health and sustainability of our entitlement programs.

We are the losers in this situation.

JPB

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:21 pm
Preliminary reports is that Obama's reply to the House votes on sequestration (and non-vote on tax increases) is to revert back to the $250,000 threshold.

Quote:
At [today's] meeting, Obama is expected to make what the White House considers a scaled-back offer — one to raise taxes on income over $250,000, extend jobless benefits, delay defense and domestic cuts and patch the Alternative Minimum Tax, sources say. Raising taxes at that level is a non-starter for Republicans, who want far more in spending cuts.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/fiscal-cliff-lawmakers-predict-no-deal-out-of-wh-meeting-85565.html#ixzz2GN8PWQPQ
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:28 pm
@georgeob1,
What spending cuts do the House Republicans get if we go over the cliff other than the cuts that they clearly don't want?
JPB

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 12:45 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

What spending cuts do the House Republicans get if we go over the cliff other than the cuts that they clearly don't want?

The original sequestration cuts cover both military (9.4%) and domestic (8.2%) spending. Specifics haven't been identified because no one really thought we'd see this day.

Quote:
In the spirit of at least talking about uncomfortable things, here’s a look at five key questions surrounding sequestration:
Who’s in charge?

Introducing Jeffrey Zients.

He’s a multimillionaire former CEO with a pedigree in making government more efficient. For the purposes of the fiscal cliff, he’s also the acting director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, meaning he’ll be the one making many key decisions and writing critical guidance memos explaining what the government agencies should do if sequestration starts.

While White House aides have insisted for months that they weren’t planning for this scenario, Zients has been told to get started — just in case. That’s meant sending warnings to budget officers and legal counsel across the government ordering them to start crunching their own numbers ahead of the fiscal cliff deadline.

One of Zients’s toughest calls will involve how much wiggle room to give agencies when they apply the across-the-board cuts to their programs, projects and activities.

Most agencies will want considerable discretion to decide what’s best for them within each of those broadly defined categories. But it’s far from clear that OMB will let them have it.

How specific will OMB and the agencies be?

Zients is likely to issue a report as early as Jan. 3 — the day after sequestration would take effect — explaining a good bit about implementation of the spending cuts.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2012/12/sequestration-where-will-the-cuts-hit-85385.html#ixzz2GNENwH6U
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:10 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

None. (You miss the point as usual in your childish "gotcha" fixation. ) But the cost of a deal on Obama's terms would, in their eyes be even higher. I suspect they expect the Democrats to face some level of backlash over some aspects of the Defense cuts so mandated and are willing to fight over these issues as well.

The Democrat Senate, which hasn't approved a government budget in three years, doesn't appear to have any role in the matter except as cheerleader for the president.
JPB

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 04:30 pm
Reid and McConnell hope to have a bill for a bipartisan vote on Sunday. Then it will go back to the House.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I think it's pretty clear that both sides in this impasse have calculated that their respective situations will be better without an agreement.
Quote:
What spending cuts do the House Republicans get

Quote:
None.

Oh.... OK. I wondered how they would have a better situation. It appears they won't. But don't let my simple question stop you from attacking me for no reason.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:46 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Oh.... OK. I wondered how they would have a better situation. It appears they won't. But don't let my simple question stop you from attacking me for no reason.

OK, I won't let either your simple-minded question, or your failure to address or even acknowledge the explanation I offered above to bother me at all. You found your irellevant nit: go ahead and pick it all you like.