NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 07:54 pm
@georgeob1,
I think the Western storm is a low also. I need a full map of the two storms. They were hoping that, were it a Hi, it would suck in some dry air and drop Sandy's intensity but no such luck (weather goy on channel 8)

Also, the steering winds for thi one was a remnant Hi out in the Maritimes.It pushed Sandy to take these right angle turns
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 08:01 pm
Cnn is reporting that Sandy still has not made the big turn towards the US, and is still 280 miles out to sea.

We shall see.

Edit: Holy hell...as of 8pm eastern this bitch was still going east.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 08:05 pm
@Ceili,
Let see no hurricane in the story so that part is an urban myth indeed and his judgment concerning weather conditions that he could safety wind surf in should be far better then the police to say the least unless they had expert wind surfers among them.

Then the accident happen after he had done wind surfing and putting his equipment away due to a wind gust before he had unhook his equipment.

Accidents happen when you are doing anything such as wind surfing or sky diving or ultra light flying.

He hardly seems to had been doing anything that was outside his abilities as a gust of wind at the very worst moment can happen anytime.

But then you would never understand taking risks and by so doing challenge yourself for the joy of doing so.

My first solo flight in an ultralight aircraft was done in winds conditions way out of the limits that a new pilot should be flying in.

When the time came to do the flight I was told not to take off and just taxis the plane around the field as the winds was too great for me to fly.

Well I did taxis the plane for a time but then said the hell with it and turn it into the winds and apply full power and took her off high winds or no high winds as it was a risk that at the time I was more then willing to take.

In any case the weather conditions anyone wish to deal with is up to the individual judgments and that is how it should be.

Still can not see where the police in the story could feel they could judge better then the expert wind surfer.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:11 pm
20-foot waves predicted on The Shore for tomorrow. I wish I could surf!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:44 pm
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html

About the author:

Jeff co-founded the Weather Underground in 1995 while working on his Ph.D. He flew with the NOAA Hurricane Hunters from 1986-1990.

Quote:
Dangerous Hurricane Sandy continues north past North Carolina
By Dr. Jeff Masters
Published: 9:58 PM GMT on October 28, 2012
Hurricane Sandy has changed little in intensity today, and remains a very large, powerful hurricane. Sandy is going to cause billions of dollars in damage Monday and Tuesday in the Eastern U.S. due to storm surge, high winds, and heavy rains. Sandy is of near record-size, with tropical storm-force winds extending up to 520 miles from its center, covering an area larger than a Texas-and-a-half. This afternoon, Sandy brought winds gusting to 64 mph at Cape Hatteras, NC, 60 mph at Kitty Hawk, NC, and 60 mph at Cape Henry, VA. Sandy's rain is onshore from North Carolina to New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Jacksonville, NC and Suffolk, NC have recorded 2 inches of rain today, Greenville, NC has seen 1.6 inches, and Ahoskie, NC has seen 1.5 inches.

With peak impact still 24 to 36 hours away, water levels are already 2 - 4 feet above normal from Virginia to New York. At 4 pm EDT, Lewes, Delaware was at 3.3 feet above normal, Cape May, New Jersey was at 3.1 feet above normal, Wachapreague, Virginia was at 3.6 feet above normal, and Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel station was at 3.6 feet above normal, up more than half a foot since 10:30am. The National Weather Service in Upton, New York mentioned today that the predicted maximum water level of 11.7 feet at The Battery in New York City, which is expected to occur at 8:13pm ET on Monday, would break the record of 10.5 feet which was set on September 15, 1960 in Hurricane Donna.

In a poignant, powerful Public Information Statement this afternoon, the National Weather Service in New Jersey is begging that people heed warnings, and evacuate if they are asked to. They write, "If you are reluctant [to evacuate], think about your loved ones, think about the emergency responders who will be unable to reach you when you make the panicked phone call to be rescued, think about the rescue/recovery teams who will rescue you if you are injured or recover your remains if you do not survive."

Intensity and Track Forecast for Sandy
Most of Sandy's heavy thunderstorm activity is on the storm's west side, in a thick band several hundred miles removed from the center, giving Sandy more the appearance of a subtropical storm rather than a hurricane. However, satellite loops show Sandy is steadily looking more tropical, with heavy thunderstorms increasing in areal extent near the center, due to a reduction in wind shear from 35 - 40 knots last night to 20 - 25 knots this afternoon. Wind shear is expected to remain near 20 knots until landfall, and Sandy will be traversing the warm waters of the Gulf Stream. These factors may allow Sandy to intensify by 5 - 10 mph over the next 24 hours. Sandy does not have time to build a complete eyewall and undergo rapid intensification. By Monday afternoon, Sandy will be moving over cool 25°C waters, which should slow down intensification by pulling heat energy our of the ocean. However, the trough of low pressure that will be sucking in Sandy to the northwest towards landfall will strengthen the storm by injecting "baroclinic" energy--the energy one can derive from the atmosphere when warm and cold air masses lie in close proximity to each other. Sandy should have sustained winds at hurricane force, 75 - 80 mph, at landfall. Sandy's central pressure is expected to drop from its current 953 mb to 945 - 950 mb at landfall Monday night. A pressure this low is extremely rare; according to wunderground weather historian Christopher C. Burt, the lowest pressure ever measured anywhere in the U.S. north of Cape Hatteras, NC, is 946 mb (27.94") measured at the Bellport Coast Guard Station on Long Island, NY on September 21, 1938 during the great "Long Island Express" hurricane. The latest set of 12Z (8 am EDT) computer model runs show a little faster motion for Sandy, bringing the center ashore in New Jersey Monday evening near 8 pm EDT.

Predicted storm surge for Hurricane Sandy at The Battery on the south shore of Manhattan, New York City, from the experimental Extratropical Storm Surge model, run by NOAA"s Meteorological Development Laboratory (green line) and the NYHOPS model from the Stevens Institute of Technology (pink curve), which use a highly detailed 3D ocean model and even includes rainfall and tributary inflows. These models have a storm surge of 5 - 6', which brings the maximum storm tide--the water level reached as a result of the combined action of the tide and the storm surge--to 9.7 - 10.8'. Irene brought a storm tide of 9.5' to The Battery in 2011. At a storm tide of 10.5', water will likely pour into the Lower Manhattan subway system, unless efforts to sandbag the entrances are successful. Notice: these are not an official NHC storm surge forecast.

Sandy's storm surge a huge threat
This afternoon's 3:30 pm EDT H*Wind analysis from NOAA's Hurricane Research Division put the destructive potential of Sandy's winds at a modest 2.8 on a scale of 0 to 6. However, the destructive potential of the storm surge was record high: 5.8 on a scale of 0 to 6. This is a higher destructive potential than any hurricane observed since 1969, including Category 5 storms like Katrina, Rita, Wilma, Camille, and Andrew. The previous highest destructive potential for storm surge was 5.6 on a scale of 0 to 6, set during Hurricane Isabel of 2003. Sandy is now forecast to bring a near-record storm surge of 6 - 11 feet to Northern New Jersey and Long Island Sound, including the New York City Harbor. This storm surge has the potential to cause many billions of dollars in damage if it hits near high tide at 9 pm EDT on Monday. The full moon is on Monday, which means astronomical high tide will be about 5% higher than the average high tide for the month. This will add another 2 - 3" to water levels. Fortunately, Sandy is now predicted to make a fairly rapid approach to the coast, meaning that the peak storm surge will not affect the coast for multiple high tide cycles. Sandy's storm surge will be capable of overtopping the flood walls in Manhattan, which are only five feet above mean sea level. On August 28, 2011, Tropical Storm Irene brought a storm surge of 4.13' and a storm tide of 9.5' above MLLW to Battery Park on the south side of Manhattan. The waters poured over the flood walls into Lower Manhattan, but came 8 - 12" shy of being able to flood the New York City subway system. According to the latest storm surge forecast for NYC from NHC, Sandy's storm surge is expected to be at least a foot higher than Irene's. If the peak surge arrives near Monday evening's high tide at 9 pm EDT, a portion of New York City's subway system could flood, resulting in billions of dollars in damage. I give a 50% chance that Sandy's storm surge will end up flooding a portion of the New York City subway system.

Sandy's winds
Sandy will bring sustained winds of tropical storm-force to a 1000-mile swath of coast on Monday and Tuesday. Winds of 55 - 75 mph with gusts over hurricane force will occur along a 500 mile-wide section of coast. With most of the trees still in leaf, there will be widespread power outages due to downed trees, and the potential for several billion dollars in wind damage. A power outage computer model run by Johns Hopkins University predicts that 10 million people will lose power from the storm.

Sandy's rains
Sandy's heavy rains are going to cause major but probably not catastrophic river flooding. If we compare the predicted rainfall amounts for Sandy with those from Hurricane Irene of 2011, Sandy's are expected to be about 30% less. Hurricane Irene caused $15.8 billion in damage, most of it from river flooding due to heavy rains. However, the region most heavily impacted by Irene's heavy rains had very wet soils and very high river levels before Irene arrived, due to heavy rains that occurred in the weeks before the hurricane hit. That is not the case for Sandy; soil moisture is near average over most of the mid-Atlantic, and is in the lowest 30th percentile in recorded history over much of Delaware and Southeastern Maryland. One region of possible concern is the Susquehanna River Valley in Eastern Pennsylvania, where soil moisture is in the 70th percentile, and river levels are in the 76th - 90th percentile. This area is currently expected to receive 3 - 6 inches of rain, which is probably not enough to cause catastrophic flooding like occurred for Hurricane Irene. I expect that river flooding from Sandy will cause less than $1 billion in damage.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:28 am
@Butrflynet,
made its left turn last night and we are having extra heavy rains not and we arent even in the storm yet. Were just getting these outer bands.
Theyve closed the BEach Hiway in Del (Rt 1) its under water and thats a first
We had some thunder early this AM and a few flickerings of power that are reminding us that we will be left essentially Amish in the next day or so.

Ive been filling up 5 gal buckets to flush toilets

The sheep and the cattle are all locked in their barns and we are not letting em out till the storm is past.

This is gonna be a flood event with some gusts at about 60 mph here. Jersey will get the higher winds it seems. Delaware and the lower Bays may be hit like their historic flood of 1938 and 1960.

Since the floos in coastal areas will be salt water driven, those poor schmucks may be without services for weeks cause of salt corrosion . I dont know what theyre gonna do in NYC.

GeorgeoThe steering mechanism for the big right hand turn was only partly based on the big high off Newfoundland and the maritimes. Mostly its a big "Kink" in the W-E jet stream that made a Tractor beam (sort of) for this thing to swing hard right.

MOdels are now but 50 miles apart in their track predctions. 15 years ago this was a science in its birth pangs.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:44 am
Who in their right mind would allow such a ship to be in harm way?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coast-guard-monitors-tall-ship-distress-off-nc-17586778

The Coast Guard is monitoring a tall ship that's in distress off North Carolina's Outer Banks as Hurricane Sandy swirls toward the East Coast.

A news release early Monday says the Coast Guard responded to the HMS Bounty about 90 miles southeast of Hatteras, N.C., after getting a call from the ship's owner saying she'd lost contact with the crew Sunday night.

The 180-foot, three-masted ship — a replica of one made famous in the film "Mutiny on the Bounty" — has 17 people aboard.

Coast Petty Officer 3rd Class David Weydert says a Coast Guard plane has since made contact with the ship which is taking on water and is without propulsion.

Weydert says that because of the weather, the Coast Guard is just monitoring the situation right now.

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:10 am
@BillRM,
This is sorta what happened with the first "Pride of Baltimore" A Baltimore Clipper that was built in the 60's a s a travelling amabassador of Charm City.
They put out of dock to sail to safety during a storm off the MEd and the whole thing was lost because it lost rudder and sail in the wind. These repro ships are a danger in bad water cause they sail so fuckin clunky nd slow. The SUltana, a clipper "Slaver and revenue boat" of the early 1800's was built in Chestertown Md in the late 90's and it goes all over at a screaming top speed of almost 3kt.
These things are tubs that are made mostly for show, not for major sailing.
I hope thee kids are safe in that thing. (The sailors are usually kids)

rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:14 am
It looks like NH is going to be spared from most of Sandy as it looks like it's going to loop right around us (entering to the south, going inland to our west and then exiting to our north). The media is still hyping it pretty hard though, mostly for the benefit of the people on the coast who will have dangerous conditions. Inland however I think it's just going to be a rainy couple of days.

The people right along its track are going to have a much harder time though.

I wanted to say, I'm continually impressed with Hurricane Track projections. Even 4 days ago the models showed this storm hooking to the east and hitting the Southern NJ coast and it looks like that's exactly what it's going to do. That's a very unusual track and so far the computers have got it right. They were very accurate with Hurricane Irene last year as well.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:18 am
@rosborne979,
tell that to HAwkee. he is rarely impressed with human efforts (as he looks up **** on his i-Phone)
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:21 am
@farmerman,
we are having a weird lull in the storm. Weve been having heavy rain and shutter rattling winds and now, all of a suddne, weve had about 15 min of spooky quiet.

Ill try to keep posting some reflections from the eye as long as I dont lose my wireless and power.
Then we will see yall whenever we see yall
rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

tell that to HAwkee. he is rarely impressed with human efforts (as he looks up **** on his i-Phone)
I look up **** on my iPhone as well Smile There's a lot of good information out there. But the forecast isn't the same for everyone, and you have to interpret the data accurately.
farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:30 am
@rosborne979,
I ran out to see whether we got a paper in the mailbox, This is a cold storm too. Usually hurricanes that Ive been in are always this muggy wind that hits you like a warm wave of swamp ****. This one bites right through my Goretex wind breaker.

Winds gusting to 35 now and the storm is still 500 miles away
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
we are having a weird lull in the storm. Weve been having heavy rain and shutter rattling winds and now, all of a suddne, weve had about 15 min of spooky quiet.

Ill try to keep posting some reflections from the eye as long as I dont lose my wireless and power.
Then we will see yall whenever we see yall
Its 7:32AM in NYC and all is well.
I checked about 10 minutes ago, and it was dry outside,
as mild, not un-pleasant wind gusts blow.

Now, the very first drops of rain r slowly appearing; not much, at this time.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:43 am
@farmerman,
Farmer, if it is not asking too much,
can u possibly see your way clear to not referring to excrement
in your postings?? As I live my life, I enjoy thinking of BEAUTY as much as possible; it makes life worth living.
I 'd really prefer not to have thoughts of biological waste being introduced into my mind while considering wind and rain.

Permit me to appeal to your Better Nature; please: have a heart.

If u choose to tell us about failures of sanitary sewers,
then I can understand your point.

David
Ragman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:48 am
@farmerman,
Apparently you are on the in a dry swath that fed into the storm. I guess WVa an parts of PA are in area of that cold swath plunging in to the western side of this whacky storm system. I wish you safe and dry feet and a roof and basement that doesn't flood.
BillRM

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:16 am
@farmerman,
The last news is that they had abandon ship into two life boats

I have no idea how the hell they found themselves where they did or what sailing characteristic this tall ship had but if they was trying to get it to safety and there were any question concerning either the crew and or the ship being able to do so, they should had paid an ocean tug.

Tall ships as a class use to go around the Cape so as a class there is no reason they should not be able to weather Sandy.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I checked about 10 minutes ago, and it was dry outside,
as mild, not un-pleasant wind gusts blow.

There was a well written book David by the title of The day New York went dry dating back the 1960s that dealt with the idea that a long drought had cause all of the city sources of drinking water to dry up and diseases where breaking out due to lack of water to even flush the toilets often.

In any case just as they was going to throw in the towel and evacuated the city a late season hurricane came along and refill the city reservoirs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:03 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Who in their right mind would allow such a ship to be in harm way?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coast-guard-monitors-tall-ship-distress-off-nc-17586778

who?

people who think like the v.i.

hawkeye10 wrote:
We go the other way..government comes up with some phoney bologna excuses to shut down transit forcing business to close and pressuring the citizens to stay hold up in their homes for a few days. I would rather have a truthful government which left such decisions up to the people...I don't take kindly to being "managed" by a habitual liar.
BillRM

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:20 am
@ehBeth,
Sorry dear holding fast on shore is not the same as allowing a poorly equip sailing ship/crew to be caught at sea in such a storm.

Once more when you are moving millions of people there will be deaths and lesser harms done by the government forcing such a move.

The cost of running for the hill in treasure and human lives is not cheap in itself.
0 Replies