NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:30 pm
@farmerman,
still well in advance of the storm
things aren't looking good for Tangier Island

http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/254384_4183246698451_1363991996_n.jpg

water is high in the Chesapeake today
glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:32 pm
@farmerman,
No worries farmerman, the forecast now for Maryland is it could snow way up in Northwest Maryland as the hurricane moves thru. Our weather has a lot to do with the landscape, it's not flat and smooth like BillM's gray matter. Mountains, a still fairly warm Atlantic, too many rivers and bodies of water to count just in my county alone, and we hug the Bay. Warm air from the south and cold air from Canada makes the weather an adventure.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:36 pm
@glitterbag,
It's dinner time at the glitterbags, I'm headed off for a while, and will check back later if we still have power. Menu tonight, slow roasted pork , mashed potatoes, gravy and I'm not sure what kind of veggie I'll serve.
Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 04:36 pm
@glitterbag,
We had a storm cell site over my city this summer and one in 2004 that each created over $100 million dollars in damage. Thankfully, power was not an issue, but very few city's storm or sewage systems can handle a downpour like this.
I remember driving during the '04 storm and watching man hole covers being pushed up over 6 ft, suspended on raging spouts of water. One after the other, they popped off all the way down a major road. Thankfully, most of the cars had pulled over or these projectiles could have tipped a car and or killed someone. The water filled underpasses in seconds, trapping people in cars, some nearly drowned. The only reason they didn't is because the storm surge left as quickly as came.
Sandy is predicted to move slowly and sit in some areas for hours. Then add wind...
Stay safe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:01 pm
@glitterbag,
<so good to see ya around, Glitter>
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:13 pm
Two conflicting policies from the city due to the hurricane:
Quote:
Will Subways be Closed on Tuesday?
Sharon S. asks, “How likely is it that the subway will continue to be closed Tuesday?

It’s looking pretty likely. Joseph J. Lhota, the chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, said Sunday morning that the authority hoped to restore service by Wednesday. “I do think Monday and Tuesday are going to be difficult days,” he said.

Yet...
Quote:
Garbage collection: Monday trash collection is on. Weigh down your trash cans so they don’t blow away.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/28/nyregion/hurricane-sandy.html#sha=57c842bd4
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Sorry I know what a knot happen to be however it not normally use by the weather bureau for wind speed for info released to the public at least.
dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:19 pm
Just waiting and hoping everyone will be ok.

Please keep checking in, folks.

Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:20 pm
@BillRM,
Hey dumb dumb, this is for you. A knot is a unit of measurement for wind speed. In a station model diagram, the knot is generally the standard unit used to indicate wind speed. Mathematically, one knot is equal to approximately 1.1508 statute miles
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:22 pm
@dlowan,
the rain is just starting and the storm is about 1000 miles away.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:23 pm
@Ceili,
all USGS and MOAA speeds for wind and water are in Kts. Bill wants another pissin contest
Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
I know. It's pretty simple to google it.
Apparently, in his backwoods area, they still use the wet finger method.
Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:26 pm
@farmerman,
What a freak of nature this thing is? We still have a bit of wind left over in Sarasota (20-25 mph gusts). Atlanta also is windy now 30 mph gusts. Almost 2/3 of the whole east coastal region is affected. Awesome and fearsome.
farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:30 pm
@ehBeth,
I just saw that. OH ****. We went out to Tangier to kayak around the wetlands that urround the island. We were there for 3 days this summer. The residents all have golf carts that they keep stored up on shell middens that are maybe 3 ft high . I still never found out what they do with their sewage
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:33 pm
@glitterbag,
the storm is still almost 550 mi from Solomons
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:46 pm
@Ragman,
It is a freak.

We've now had two days of rain from the storm that may be meeting up with Sandy.

Huuuuuuge storm system meeting a huuuuuuuuuge storm system.

Yuck.
BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:49 pm
@Ceili,
Idiot I had known the meaning of a knot for the last 50 years right after I read my first book on navigation.

The concept came with such other concepts as plotting great circle routes and it come from doing a nautical mile an hour.

Nautical mile is one minute of arc of longitude at the equator or one minute of arc of latitude measured along any meridian.

It is not normally used by the national weather bureau when communicating with the public however.

footnote the meter was first define in a similar manner as 1/10,000,000 of the quadrant of the earth's circumference running from the North Pole, to the equator.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:50 pm
@farmerman,
The storm is big......that does not mean it is very bad for many. It could be, but the track record on forcast correctness has not been good and one of the things that matters most (storm surge forcasts) has been so wrong and such a big range to be nearly useless.
BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:51 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
all USGS and MOAA speeds for wind and water are in Kts. Bill wants another pissin contest

Once more the unit that the weather bureau used to communicated to the American public is mph not knots or the meter system.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 06:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman, Do you mean Solomons Island Maryland? And Ceili, are you on the Va or Md side of the Bay? During Isabel, we lost power for 4 days, my neighborhood wasn't flooded, but in pockets nearby there were flash floods and lots of road closed until flooded areas cleared up. I think I know the storm you are talking about last August, remarkably we didn't lose power but a lot of very tall trees toppled over, roots and all. The one I'm thinking about came up late afternoon, skies darkened, tornado watch and we hunkered down under the staircase with two dogs. It came and went quickly but parts of Baltimore and I think D.C. lost power, some areas as long as 7 days.