NASTY SANDY CHURNING UP THE COAST

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:58 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Amish dont have any property insurance cause its too worldy.
What woud happen to an Amishman
who was so bold as to get insurance ?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:08 am
farmerman, I was confused because I couldn't figure out who you were correcting, then I saw a couple of "ignore" signs and clicked only to find out you were talking to BillM. Good God folks, why doesn't everyone block him, he's an idiot. When Agnus came in 1972, there was flooding in Laurel, Maryland close to Fort Meade and major highways were closed. You couldn't go anywhere. At the time I was about 30 minutes from Laurel and although the winds were high and rain was heavy, we only experienced power outages and a run on toilet paper, bread and milk. People died in Laurel, drowned by totally unexpected flooding. And now in 2012, the biggest problem (I hope) in Annapolis will be falling trees, some roads closed and definitely power loss. Loss of electricity (in addition to just irritating me) means the sump pump won't work, and if the it lasts longer than 2-3 days, all the food in the freezer and refrigerators will spoil. And just to sweeten the pot, we have well water so the pump won't be able to provide water. We should be good as long as we don't leave the house during the storm. Our son, his wife and our grand daughter might have to come over here, since they live just on the other side of the BayBridge and they are being told to prepare to evacuate. If they don't leave before the wind gusts start, the Bay Bridge will close to all traffic.

Good luck to everyone in Sandy's path, and oh, BillM? I won't see your reply even if you type real real loud. Save your energy unless of course you never tire of proving you are a moron. Everybody else will see it, but not moi.
BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:26 am
@Butrflynet,
Well let all hope that I am right as the real large harm, if all the doom sayers are correct, will be the insurance companies using any very large payouts as an excused to jack up the insurance rates many hundreds of percents all along the North Atlantic Seaboard for the next fifty years or so.

Hell they are likely to once more jack up the South Florida rates.

The rates are so very high now in the South Florida area I been considering becoming self insurance on the properties the family own that have no mortgages.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:33 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Good luck to everyone in Sandy's path, and oh, BillM? I won't see your reply even if you type real real loud. Save your energy unless of course you never tire of proving you are a moron. Everybody else will see it, but not moi.

So jf this is the biggest false alarm since the reported invasion of the Martians of NJ in the 1930s you will not get to see my postings saying I told you so?

How sad for you!!!!! Drunk
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:38 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
BillRM wrote:

So jf this is the biggest false alarm since the reported invasion of the Martians of NJ in the 1930s
you will not get to see my postings saying I told you so?

How sad for you!!!!! Drunk
THANK U for your optimism, Bill!!!!!

I love it.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 11:40 am

I'm pretty sure that the day will come
that we can deflect problems like this
and that we will be able to control the weather.

I wonder how long it will be until that happens.

( I already know that it is not likely to happen in our lifetimes. )

David
Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
If you think of the difficulties that man has had trying to control a large river system (and his limited success), you'd laugh hysterically about the fallacy in of man trying to control the heavens (a weather system).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:04 pm
@Ragman,
It took us a while b4 we were able
to get to the Moon; yet, it was possible.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Sorry David but the existed of civil lawyers does not allow for research in hurricane control as who in their right minds would like to be sue for every dime of damage a large Hurricane might cause under the theory that but for your attempts to control the storm it would not had make landfall on top of who ever it did. Hurricanes that had been experiment on would no longer be an act of god in other word.

In the 1960s there was a program for cloud seeding the eye walls of hurricanes that did show some small promise call project storm fury and now that we have must larger aircrafts then in the 1960s to be able to dump hundreds of time more chemicals then before who know what results we might get.

However fear of liabilities shut down the Storm Fury program in the 1960s and the situation had not improved since that time.
BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:25 pm
A woman on the weather channel just announced that they are not hyping up this storm so it look like they are hearing from more then a few people like me who think that this storm is likely being hyped way out of all reality.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:25 pm
Bloomberg must hope he come out looking better this time for shutting down the city than he did last time. However doing it a full day before the storm surge gets there looks panicy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:38 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Sorry David but the existed of civil lawyers does not allow for research in hurricane control as who in their right minds would like to be sue for every dime of damage a large Hurricane might cause under the theory that but for your attempts to control the storm it would not had make landfall on top of who ever it did. Hurricanes that had been experiment on would no longer be an act of god in other word.

In the 1960s there was a program for cloud seeding the eye walls of hurricanes that did show some small promise call project storm fury and now that we have must larger aircrafts then in the 1960s to be able to dump hundreds of time more chemicals then before who know what results we might get.

However fear of liabilities shut down the Storm Fury program in the 1960s and the situation had not improved since that time.
I understand your point,
but that principle did not stop evolution of the AIRLINE INDUSTRY,
regardless of the potential of planes hitting private real estate.

I think that human control of the weather is MANIFEST DESTINY.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye you can never be too safe and a mayor that is concern over the size of soda containers will surely wish to protected the citizens from this.....

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:44 pm
@BillRM,
there is a serious concern due to poor design of the system which the politicians show no interest in fixing, but we will not know till we see when the storm hits and thus know how high the surge will be.
Quote:
Klaus H. Jacob, a research scientist at Columbia University's Earth Institute, said the storm surge from Irene came, on average, just one foot short of paralyzing transportation into and out of Manhattan.

If the surge had been just that much higher, subway tunnels would have flooded, segments of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Drive and roads along the Hudson River would have turned into rivers, and sections of the commuter rail system would have been impassable or bereft of power, he said.

The most vulnerable systems, like the subway tunnels under the Harlem and East Rivers, would have been unusable for nearly a month, or longer, at an economic loss of about $55 billion, said Dr. Jacob, an adviser to the city on climate change and an author of the 2011 state study that laid out the flooding prospects.

"We've been extremely lucky," he said. "I'm disappointed that the political process hasn't recognized that we're playing Russian roulette."

Today, Andrew Cuomo announced the MTA subway, buses, and trains will shut down this evening and may remain out-of-service until Wednesday.

Update: New York Magazine's Daily Intel reached out to Jacob for his take on the current situation. It appears the big question is whether Sandy arrives at the full-moon high tide on Monday night or not. If it does, things could get ugly.
We may not know which of those two scenarios we face, however, until just hours before the storm hits. "Sandy is a very moody storm," Dr. Jacob added. "It changes its mind as it goes along, so it will take probably until tomorrow or early afternoon before we know exactly what the exact timing will be."

Regardless, it seems like we're in for some subway flooding. According to Dr. Jacob, the most vulnerable are subway stations are those in downtown Manhattan, particularly along Wall Street -- newswire photographs showed transit workers boarding up subway grates near the Staten Island Ferry on Friday -- as well as on the Upper East Side near the Harlem River, and near the Newton Creek boundary between Brooklyn and Queens.

Besides the subway, car tunnels, coastal streets, and even the airports should expect flooding from a Category 1 hurricane, according to one city report. Both LaGuardia and JFK airports, where serious delays and travel disruptions are already expected, may experience as much as three feet of flooding.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/10/the-article-that-predicted-the-new-york-subway-storm-surge-problem/264199/

boomberg shut the system down long before reason dictated it. I fully believe that this was done because Bloomberg gets so excited when he gets to play crisis manager saving the victims that he wets himself.
BillRM

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:55 pm
This is the weather channel headline title on it website.

Where Will Terrifying Monster Storm Hit?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 12:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
In announcing the transit shutdown, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York said it was unsafe to operate trains in high winds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/us/east-coast-braces-for-severe-storm-surge.html?_r=0

bullshit, no one is predicting winds that would be strong enough to be a problem for trains in NYC, but the namby-pamby residents of NYC will lap this lie up.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 01:26 pm
Hey, Hawkeye and Bill...

POOF!

You are now in charge of weather forecasting and advising emergency response for the entire East Coast of the United States.

Please outline how local, state and federal governments should respond to not only keep their citizens as safe as possible, but also to minimize panic and inaction due to apathy. Oh, and you also have to minimize damage to businesses and government operations.

It is now all up to you. Step up, let's see your plan of action.
Ceili

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 01:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
Don't provoke the idiots. They add nothing to any discussion but pure, unadulterated bunk.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 01:34 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Please outline how local, state and federal governments should respond to not only keep their citizens as safe as possible, but also to minimize panic and inaction due to apathy.

transit should run up till 3 hours before situations dictate closing. all should be warned that the system will shut down on 2 hours notice so if you need to get somewhere pay attention to the news.

why do you not mention the duty of officials to protect the economic well being of their city? why do you not mention the duty of government to provide its services as best as possible for as long as possible? we call all curl up into a fetal position when faced with adversity, but this is not the preferred reaction and it is not the reaction that our leaders should model for us.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 01:40 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Don't provoke the idiots. They add nothing to any discussion but pure, unadulterated bunk.

"bunk" being defined as a fact or opinion which you dont want to hear,
0 Replies