intimacy with an ex? cheating or not?

omsaj

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 12:47 am
ok so this has been bothering me for sometime now and i want to get a general opinion from you guys what would your position be if you were in my place...
both me and my girlfriend are still in touch with some of our ex's I would even say close friends with a few of them.
we have both always been open to each other that we are in touch with our ex's and ive always been fine with her remaining friends with them as a matter of fact she visited one of them recently without me "he lives in another state now" and after she visited him he visited us and i met the guy seemed like a nice guy he even stayed in my house for a few nights since she lives with her family. so I dont have any jealousy issues "at least i don't think i do"
anyway a couple of weeks ago me and her were talking, nothing specific just chatting, and the topic somehow got to her visit and i kind of sensed from her tone that she is hiding something so i asked her whats going on and she asked me not to be mad etc. at which point she confessed that one night during her visit they shared a bed and from what she was telling me that it was just cuddling but not regular cuddling like her putting her head on his shoulder but intimate cuddling "spooning etc."
now obviously Im not happy about that but I'm kind of conflicted whether that is considered a form of cheating or not???
im also very conflicted whether or not to take her word for it that it was just cuddling and nothing more... usually i trust her and believe her no problem but the fact they used to be together and then they are in a house alone sharing a bed and cuddling but nothing more kind of seems unlikely it wouldn't go further than that.
worst thing about it she knows that I would almost certainly forgive her that one time if she's honest with me and tells me "obviously she would have to cut off all communications with him"
but still logically something almost definitely happened and i just couldn't shake the feeling she's hiding something even after she told me they cuddled!!
what do you guys think? what would you do in my situation?

please give your honest opinion, don't worry I'm not going to base my decision on your answers nor would i be offended by them everyone is different and everyone has their own opinion.
im just looking for some perspective or advice or if someone had a similar situation how that turned out

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 07:14 am
@omsaj,
I don't see where previous status has a damned thing to do with whether something is cheating.

It's cheating - I think everyone's just looking for a rationalization.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 07:55 am
@omsaj,
If you think it's cheating, it's cheating.

If you don't think it's cheating, it's not.

You and your partner need to talk about all of this and determine what the rules/guidelines for your relationship are. You need to agree - between the two of you - what is acceptable.
omsaj

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 08:33 am
@jespah,
well to answer your first point i brought up previous status because it shows that attraction is a factor and obviously that is relevant information to my question.

as for your second line i didnt understand you
are you saying cheating is cheating whether an ex or not?
or are you saying that you do consider the cuddling as cheating?
also in your opinion do you think there was more than cuddling?
0 Replies

omsaj

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 08:42 am
@ehBeth,
well i completely agree with you and obviously no one could really tell me what my limits are and what is acceptable to me yes i agree with you %100
but with this issue im not sure what i think is ok
you hugging to say hi or goodbye is fine! maybe even sitting close to each other and kinda snuggling on the couch would be fine!
but spooning and sleeping through the night on the same bed is something that im not sure about
i mean at what point does the cuddling start to develop a sexual aspect
so my goal of posting this question is to see other peoples personal opinions and rationalizations which would kind of help me straighten out my thoughts and you never know someone might rationalize their question which would help me look at it from another angle maybe help me resolve my feelings about this and know exactly where i stand
im not asking anyone to decide for me just your own personal opinions and thoughts about it
but thank you for your answer
ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 09:00 am
@omsaj,
It doesn't matter what other people think.

What matters is what you and your partner agree upon.

Talk to your partner.
omsaj

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 09:42 am
@ehBeth,
ya true i never really thought id get much out of any of the answers and of course i knew im going to have to have a long discussion with her about it!
just keeping myself busy while i figure out how i feel about it first i guess
0 Replies