Dear Mr. Kerry

Fedral

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 11:56 am
Dear Mr. Kerry[/u]
By:Jay Bryant
March 3, 2004

Because it was not my lot to serve in Vietnam, I have no qualifications to criticize those who did. But John Kerry has been running on his war record in a vastly more blatant way than previous candidates have done (George Bush the Elder, for example, or Bob Dole), he has opened the door for those who are qualified to express their views on his Vietnam record - both while he was there and after he returned.

One man with exceptional qualifications in that regard is retired Army Col. Glenn Lackey, who also knows something about life in the verbal combat zone known as Capitol Hill, where he served a stint as Chief of Staff for a Member of Congress.

Before that Lackey not only spent combat time in Vietnam, but also in Somalia and the Gulf War.

Recently, Lackey decided to express his thoughts on Kerry's public record, and being a very direct kind of guy, did it directly, by writing the following letter to Kerry, which I thought might interest readers of this space:

Dear Mr. Kerry;

After spending only four months in the country of Vietnam, you testified before Congress in 1971 with these exact words about incidents you say you witnessed: "They personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blew up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Viet Nam."

Spread that on a farmer's field where it will do some good. I spent a year there in 1968-69 in a combat arms unit. I was a Field Artillery Forward Observer in an Infantry company and I saw combat every day until I was wounded. When I returned from the hospital, I was assigned to an artillery battery. I saw brave men fight and die; I saw brave, good men pass out all their rations to hungry kids, build churches and schools, donate to orphanages, cry silently at the sight of villagers slaughtered by North Vietnamese, but I never saw anything approaching the war crimes that you happened to witness as your boat sped by villages on the river bank. If you witnessed atrocities and did not report them, you are guilty of aiding and abetting. If you lied, you are simply unfit for leadership at any level. The most serious incident I witnessed was a young sergeant who grabbed the arm of a Vietnamese woman during a village search. An older, more experienced noncommissioned officer knocked the sergeant to the ground and told him, somewhat forcefully, that that woman was someone's mother and would be treated with respect. That's it, Kerry, that's my confession - I didn't report the incident.

I have children, and my children have children. They will, perhaps, stumble upon your words, much as one might stumble upon a pile of dog droppings. I do not relish the thought of having to explain that your "experiences" are either a bald-faced lie, or you belong to that less-than-1% of Viet Nam veterans who committed war crimes/atrocities. Either way, your words do great harm to the institution of the Senate, my home state of Massachusetts, the Armed Services in which I proudly served for 27 years, and the very country that you aspire to lead.

Is it true that you single-handedly prevented a vote on a Senate version of H.R. 2833, the Viet Nam Human Rights Act of 2001 - a bill that passed the House by a vote of 410-1? There are many who believe that our failure to speak decisively on that issue cost the lives of thousands of Montagnard tribesman in Viet Nam. Where do you stand on H.R. 1587, the Viet Nam Human Rights Act of 2003? Will you support a parallel bill in the Senate? Is it true that you served as Chairman of the Senate Select Committee on MIA/POW Affairs and in that role you fought hard to limit the expenditure of funds to investigate sightings or search for remains? You have, I believe, been a steadfast, staunch and vocal advocate for normalizing relations with Viet Nam. Could it be that your beloved first cousin, Mr. Forbes, CEO of Colliers International, recently signed a contract with Hanoi worth billions of dollars? Any truth to the rumor that you didn't really fling your "hard-earned" military medals over the White House fence in a juvenile fit of pique as you say you did, but rather, you threw your roommate's medals instead?

I know dozens of retired military professionals. None of them support you - there is a reason for that. They all served honorably and well, and they all believe that you did not. I know war heroes, and your, sir, are no war hero.

-- Glenn Lackey
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,173 • Replies: 79
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 12:02 pm
Anybody who says atrocities did not occur is either a liar or exceptionally stupid.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:03 pm
Re: Dear Mr. Kerry
Fedral wrote:
I never saw anything approaching the war crimes that you happened to witness as your boat sped by villages on the river bank.

Well of course! If he didn't it, we can surely believe that they didn't happen!

The article is good for a laugh, at least. Looks like the hardcore right is really starting to grasp at straws here.

Another great comment I heard from AM talk show guy was "I don't care what Kerry did in Nam! He protested America when he came back, and thats what matters!" Laughing I smell desperation here...
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:16 pm
Heywood wrote:
I smell desperation here...

I suppose the truth can smell like that to a Party that hasn't had a truthful candidate since Harry S Truman.

Too bad you forgot your roots.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:24 pm
so now the buck ($) stops in Cheney's office?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:24 pm
I've noticed that smell since Iowa...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:29 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Anybody who says atrocities did not occur is either a liar or exceptionally stupid.
Agreed Edgar. But I also believe the man was probably accurate when he said they were committed by 1% of the troops and the other 99% served honorably. I would like to believe that, too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:31 pm
very interesting but only because I am not sure if I committed any atrocities while I was there.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:32 pm
Fedral wrote:
Heywood wrote:
I smell desperation here...

I suppose the truth can smell like that to a Party that hasn't had a truthful candidate since Harry S Truman. Too bad you forgot your roots.

Still doesn't change the fact that the conservatives are getting desperate in their attacks on Kerry.

By the way, I'm not Democrat. I'm technically a Republican, but just re-registered as independant yesterday. Very Happy
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:39 pm
This is not a desperate attack by a conservative, there are numerous veterans who have expressed similar feelings about Kerry's post war rhetoric.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 02:45 pm
No, desperation would be trying to attack Kerry's voting record as a Senator...no, wait! It's attacking his character as a leader...ummm, no wait! I have it! It's discussing any idea at all that may not show Kerry as the poster child of American Democrats.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:04 pm
The Worst Experience of their Lives
Fedral wrote:
Dear Mr. Kerry[/u]
By:Jay Bryant
March 3, 2004

Because it was not my lot to serve in Vietnam, I have no qualifications (but) ...

... (to Kerry) After spending only [sic] four months in the country of Vietnam, you testified before Congress in 1971 with these exact words about incidents you say you witnessed: "They personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires ... and generally ravaged the countryside of South Viet Nam."

FEDRAL --
There is a very interesting reporting of the Winter Soldier Investigations in the Encyclopedia Brittanica's Annals of American History, volume 19. A good history lesson to read if you didn't live during that time or can't remember exactly how it went.

I don't think you can possibly stand behind the exact words to the quote you are posting. It is incorrect and misleading. Please fix this or explain why you are willing to spread lies. I just did a quick check on the 'net to be sure that I wasn't mis-remembering the real quote. Yours is a deliberate mis-reading and mis-quoting of historical material which is pitifully easy to be verified for people who want the truth.

Please check and correct this quotation in your post. I think you'll find the wording here, in the Richmond University's Vietnam History course;

or here in the Modern History Sourcebook, Fordham University.

_______

Vietnam Veterans Against the War Statement by John Kerry, 1971 to the Senate Committee of Foreign Relations April 23, 1971

I would like to talk on behalf of all those veterans and say that several months ago in Detroit we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged, and many very highly decorated, veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia. These were not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command. It is impossible to describe to you exactly what did happen in Detroit - the emotions in the room and the feelings of the men who were reliving their experiences in Vietnam. They relived the absolute horror of what this country, in a sense, made them do.

They told stories that at times they had personally....

_______

John Kerry, was part of a veterans group which was trying to make sense of the Viet Nam war experience. He had debriefed, if you will, other vets. The original material that was so badly misquoted in Fedral's post was an introductory statement. At no time did John Kerry state he had personally witnessed or participated in war crimes.

Beyond that BIG LIE though, I am astounded that anti-Kerryites have said that these soldiers "should have told the authorities" when, in fact, that is just what they were doing during the Winter Soldier investigations. I first heard that anti-Viet Nam vet "slant" on a talk-radio show a few weeks ago and immediately saw it's bogus logic.

The new Catch-22 slant goes like this:

The Viet Nam vets were liars when they reported these attrocities.
Why didn't they report these attrocities? They should have.
But they were liars when the reported this.
They were supposed to report it. They could be held for crimes if they didn't report these lying attrocities.
But when they reported it, they were liars.
ad nauseum

It would be funny if it weren't so despicably hypocritical. Who came up with that neat bit of twisted logic, I wonder... Karl Rove?

_______
Btw, following the Winter Soldier Investigations, over 75 soldiers were tried and convicted of war crimes. This group's efforts to document such testimony followed the well-known 1968 massacre of Vietnamese civilians at My Lai. By the 1971 VVAW hearings, the trial of Lt. William L. Calley by the Army was planned. (He was convicted in March 1971.)

Quote:
from the Richmond, Virginia class -- Richard R. Moser's The New Winter Soldiers: GI and Veteran Dissent during the Vietnam Era (1996) is the latest treatment of this subject. This title relates to Thomas Paine's criticism of American soldiers of 1776 who were "sunshine patriots" -- leaving service in the revolutionary war at summer's end. He hailed, however, those who were "winter soldiers" -- fighting year-round.

Moser's view is that there were "new winter soldiers" in the winter of 1971, those who testified at the VVAW's "Winter Soldier Investigation."

Former GIs who had served in Vietnam as citizen-soldiers (nonprofessionals, draftees largely) spoke out as citizen activists for peace and justice. Moser does not use their testimonies to examine "what went wrong" in the military in Vietnam; rather he seeks to understand the extent to which their testimonies "created something good from what was one of the worst experiences of their lives" (p. 1).

If only the saber-rattling non-combatants had been there, I believe we'd have a LOT LESS nonsense in this country. Surviving combat can make people much less likely to put up with organized lies.

Signed,

Piffka
wife of a Viet Nam vet
daughter of a WWII vet & career officer
d.-in-law of a WWII vet & reserve officer
sister of an AF reservist
mother of an ROTC cadet
Viet Nam War protester
and Woman in Black
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 03:53 pm
Reading a post like the one above makes all the frustration and otherwise boredom worthwhile.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 04:57 pm
Re: The Worst Experience of their Lives
Piffka wrote:

I would like to talk on behalf of all those veterans and say that several months ago in Detroit we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged, and many very highly decorated, veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia. These were not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command. It is impossible to describe to you exactly what did happen in Detroit - the emotions in the room and the feelings of the men who were reliving their experiences in Vietnam. They relived the absolute horror of what this country, in a sense, made them do.

Beyond that BIG LIE though, I am astounded that anti-Kerryites have said that these soldiers "should have told the authorities" when, in fact, that is just what they were doing during the Winter Soldier investigations. :

It was their DUTY to report any incidents of this nature WHILE THEY WERE SERVING not to wait until year(s) afterward when no evidence could be found. It is each soldiers responsibility to report ANY crimes he witnesses to his chain of command. If he feels that the CoC is ignoring/whitewashing any incidents, he is then REQUIRED to notify the Judge Advocate for formal investigation of both the incident and his Chain of Command.

Piffka wrote:

Btw, following the Winter Soldier Investigations, over 75 soldiers were tried and convicted of war crimes. This group's efforts to document such testimony followed the well-known 1968 massacre of Vietnamese civilians at My Lai. By the 1971 VVAW hearings, the trial of Lt. William L. Calley by the Army was planned. (He was convicted in March 1971.)

Other than the well known Mai Lai incident, please post proof of the '75 convictions' please. Link will do.

Piffka wrote:

Signed,

Piffka
wife of a Viet Nam vet
daughter of a WWII vet & career officer
d.-in-law of a WWII vet & reserve officer
sister of an AF reservist
mother of an ROTC cadet
Viet Nam War protester
and Woman in Black

^^^^^^^^^^
I find the above somewhat self serving in attempt to show how 'patriotic' you are by having so many in uniform. But if we are comparing family trees.

Fedral
Veteran of the United States Army (15E missile artillery)
son to a 27 year career armor NCO veteran Vietnam U.S. Army
grandson to 2 WW1 vets, both infantrymen: p:U.S. Army/m: British army
great grandson to 4 veterans: Italian Army/Italian Army/British Army/British Army
nephew to 3 uncles infantry/infantry/aviation: British Armyx2, Royal Air Force
cousin to 15 current serving or veterans: All but one Army (British or U.S), one Royal Marines (don't think he didn't catch hell for doing that)

And all this amounts to what ? The fact that my family has been involved in the military for four generations (five once my nephew joins up in August) has taught my family one important lesson;

War itself itself is an atrocity. Anyone who says differently has never seen it firsthand. But to fail to report crimes perpetrated by your fellow soldiers immediately, make you complicit in their crimes and you will have to bear the responsibility for that forever.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, desperation would be trying to attack Kerry's voting record as a Senator...no, wait! It's attacking his character as a leader...ummm, no wait! I have it! It's discussing any idea at all that may not show Kerry as the poster child of American Democrats.

No, there is no problem pulling up a persons voting record or anything like that at all.

Here's the problem:

I think its really scraping the bottom of the barrel when I hear the right try to downplay Kerry's service in 'Nam. Who the f*ck are they to say anthing about him in that regard?
Kerry went over. He fought, killed and was injured all in the service of this country. Although I don't agree with 'Nam, I'll give credit where its due, at least in that regard. His actions made him a war hero in every sense of the word. It allso gave him every right to say whatever the hell he felt about it when he got back.
This is especially poignant considering Bush's actions during the same time. He got hooked up, bumped ahead of others to get into the guard, and was able to avoid getting shot at. And thats without even mentioning his little jaunt to help with a reelection campaign. I'm sure it fills him with pride. Personally, I think he's full of something else.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:23 pm
Kerry and the group he associated with had a credibility problem.
Quote:
Kerry-Linked Anti-War Group Can't Bury Deceit
By Marc Morano
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
March 03, 2004

(CNSNews.com) - While many former Vietnam veterans support the candidacy of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, there is no sign of the man who appeared with Kerry on a nationally televised news program in 1971 to allege widespread atrocities by U.S. soldiers in Vietnam.

That man, Al Hubbard, remains out of the spotlight, perhaps because the war record he touted in directing a prominent anti-war group that included Kerry, was fabricated.

Hubbard's deceit, which he later admitted, continues to cast doubt about the truthfulness of the anti-war group's allegations more than three decades after they were leveled. Kerry has yet to either defend or criticize Hubbard during the current campaign. But he continues to stand behind the allegations lodged by Vietnam Veterans Against the War, many of which were included in a book Kerry authored in 1971.

Hubbard was executive director of Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW) when he appeared with Kerry on NBC's Meet the Press on April 18, 1971. Meet the Press host Lawrence Spivak introduced Hubbard as a former decorated Air Force captain who had spent two years in Vietnam and was wounded in the process.

But just days after the Meet the Press program was televised, NBC News, acting on an anonymous tip, began investigating Hubbard and found his military background to be fraudulent.

NBC News Washington Bureau chief Frank Jordan confronted Hubbard and obtained a confession from him that he had lied about his rank. Hubbard then went on the network's Today show, admitting that he had lied about his rank because "he was convinced no one would listen to a black man who was also an enlisted man." According to military documents, Hubbard never achieved a military rank higher than staff sergeant.

In addition to appearing on Meet the Press together, Kerry and Hubbard joined with Hollywood actress turned anti-war activist Jane Fonda and others in 1971 in conducting the VVAW's so-called Winter Soldier investigation in Detroit.

The investigation culminated in a stage production in which former veterans charged that U.S. troops had committed massive and widespread atrocities in Vietnam on a daily basis. Kerry also testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in 1971 as the spokesman for Vietnam Veterans Against the War.

In Kerry's anti-war book, The New Soldier , an anti-war poem written by Hubbard appears on page 92. Hubbard is also featured in a photo with Kerry and former U.S. attorney general Ramsey Clark on page 76 of the book.

Shortly after Hubbard's admission that he had lied, CBS News reporter William Overend, a writer for the network's anchorman Walter Cronkite, took up the story. Soon, Overend was confronting Kerry about Hubbard's fabrications.

"Al owned up to the rank question," Kerry told Overend in an article entitled, "Who is Al Hubbard" that appeared in the June 1, 1971 issue of National Review magazine. "He thought it was time to tell the truth, and he did it because he thought it would be best for the organization," Kerry added.

Overend noted in his article that Kerry's comments neglected "the fact that NBC had confronted Hubbard with its 'tip' [that Hubbard had lied] prior to the interview."

In an interview with CNSNews.com last week, Overend recalled that Kerry acted "real cagey" regarding Hubbard's lies.

"I talked to Kerry at that time about Hubbard and Kerry was already real cagey and diplomatic in his handling of whatever questions I was asking him," said Overend, who is now a staff writer for the Los Angeles Times .

Hubbard's falsehoods were not confined to his military rank, Overend told CNSNews.com . Hubbard "had no record of any service in Vietnam ..." Overend said.

Overend stated in his 1971 National Review article that, "Not only was there [Hubbard's] word for it that he'd lied about his rank, now the Defense Department was announcing it didn't have any record of his having served in Vietnam at all." Overend wrote that the Defense Department did allow for the possibility that Hubbard had been in Vietnam for short periods loading and unloading cargo planes.

Overend's investigation also later revealed that Hubbard had never been awarded either a Purple Heart or a Vietnamese Service Ribbon as he had claimed, even though, according to Overend's investigation of Pentagon procedure, the service ribbon could have been "rightfully claimed by any member of an air crew serving in Vietnam, even briefly."

There is also no record of any war injuries Hubbard supposedly suffered, according to Overend, despite Hubbard's claim to have been involved in a plane crash in Danang, Vietnam.

Military officials contacted "had no record of [Hubbard] having been involved in a plane crash ever in Vietnam," Overend said. The only injuries Overend could uncover involving Hubbard were "a 1956 rib injury suffered during a basketball game, and a 1961 entry about a back injury suffered during a soccer game."

Overend said that when he confronted other members of the VVAW in 1971 about Hubbard's invented record, reaction was mixed.

"I really don't care whether Al was in Vietnam or not. He's a good man. That's all that counts," said VVAW member Scott Moore, according to Overend. The president of VVAW, Jan Crumb, said the issue of Hubbard's lies "matters to all of us very much. But it's an internal problem for us to solve."

When Overend personally confronted Hubbard with the results of his investigation, Hubbard told him he was considering a lawsuit against the Defense Department for giving out erroneous information, indicated he had requested copies of his own files and would not comment to the media until he had received the records.

Overend's account of his meeting with Hubbard is as follows: "I asked him about the Danang [Vietnam] air crash and he replied: 'I told you, I will not cooperate with the media in any way."

"Al Hubbard had the opportunity to defend himself. Instead he chose to make no comment, and I was left to draw my own conclusions," Overend stated in summing up his investigation in the 1971 National Review article.

Hubbard currently lives in New Mexico. Repeated efforts to contact him were unsuccessful, but VVAW national coordinator John Zutz did speak with CNSNews.com about the man who directed the anti-war group.

"What can I say? He lied," Zutz said, referring to Hubbard. When asked whether Hubbard's falsehoods may have damaged VVAW's credibility, Zutz would only respond, "Well, he lied."

VVAW member David Cline said Hubbard has been "missing in action. He dropped out of the scene a long time ago and hasn't resurfaced."

"The last time I seen him was in the 70s," Cline added.

Cline recalled that the VVAW did not disassociate itself from Hubbard as a result of his admitted lies.

"At the time that it came out, there was some people (in VVAW) who called for his expulsion, but in the end the people felt that the embarrassment of the thing was enough -- that was his punishment," Cline said.

Cline conceded the incident did harm VVAW's reputation.

"To a certain degree it made us look less credible. It was a strange experience," Cline said.

B. G. Burkett, author of Stolen Valor and a military researcher, told CNSNews.com that Hubbard's type of deceit was widespread among people associated with VVAW.

Burkett's book documents false testimonies and reveals that many of the men who worked with VVAW and other anti-war groups who had alleged war atrocities during the Vietnam War had either lied about their background or had claims that were unverifiable.

According to Burkett, the Pentagon investigated the VVAW's Winter Soldier allegations and discovered that some of the U.S. Marines listed by VVAW as having testified in Detroit, "could prove that they had never been in Detroit and did not testify at that event."

Burkett is critical of Kerry for never having addressed the issue of whether VVAW and the anti-war movement relied on impostors or phony servicemen. "He presented this ragtag bunch of bums as your standard honorably discharged Vietnam vet and I think nothing could be further from the truth. They weren't," Burkett said.

Zutz disagrees and stands by Kerry's anti-war activism. "As far as what [Kerry] said about Vietnam, he was telling truth," Zutz said.

Source
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 05:48 pm
Re: The Worst Experience of their Lives
Fedral wrote:
Other than the well known Mai Lai incident, please post proof of the '75 convictions' please. Link will do.

Quote:
Between 1965 and 1973, 201 soldiers and 77 Marines were convicted of serious crimes against the Vietnamese.

from http://www.nationalreview.com/owens/owens200401270825.asp

(17th paragraph from the bottom...)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:33 pm
Heywood wrote:
I think its really scraping the bottom of the barrel when I hear the right try to downplay Kerry's service in 'Nam. Who the f*ck are they to say anthing about him in that regard?

Most likely other veterans who didn't like being pissed on by some idealistic fool telling the world that American soldiers were committing atrocities as though every single one of them were guilty. Probably the wives and children of soldiers that never returned from Vietnam because there loved ones died protecting some civilians from being attacked by the North. Perhaps just people who don't care to see a bunch of worthless ex-soldiers betraying what they believe America stood for.

Quote:
Kerry went over. He fought, killed and was injured all in the service of this country. Although I don't agree with 'Nam, I'll give credit where its due, at least in that regard. His actions made him a war hero in every sense of the word. It allso gave him every right to say whatever the hell he felt about it when he got back.

Kerry puts his service in commercials therefore it becomes an issue in his election.

Quote:
This is especially poignant considering Bush's actions during the same time. He got hooked up, bumped ahead of others to get into the guard, and was able to avoid getting shot at. And thats without even mentioning his little jaunt to help with a reelection campaign. I'm sure it fills him with pride. Personally, I think he's full of something else.

Both went through basic training. The biggest issue here is the left's unwillingness to believe that the reserves counts as being a soldier.

If Bush's service is an issue, Kerry's is as well.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:35 pm
The quote of the day comes from former GOP hack congressman-turned-hack lobbyist Vin Weber:

Quote:
"Bush has family roots in New England, but he rejected that for himself, and now he's going to be running against someone who represents everything he wanted to avoid."

In other words, Bush is running against a decorated Vietnam veteran. Cool
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2004 06:43 pm
Or maybe just a liberal democrat from Massachusetts.
0 Replies