Dear Mr. Kerry

Heywood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:40 pm
Quote:
McGentrix said: Really Piffka, it's not like he was a grunt with his face in the mud. He was in the navy...on a boat...tanning and drinking I'll bet. Are there any actual witnesses to his heroism? I also heard that he put in his own papers for his last purple heart, you know the one that got his butt out of Vietnam?

Why did he leave anyways? I guess he just couldn't hack the puttering around in his sail boat all day.

Holy crap, you are absolutely hilarious, man.

I reccomend you stop while your ahead. Your starting to sound like a real assh*le now. The conservatives have lost this battle. Just move on.

Here's a little something to read:

As the skipper of a small Navy "swift boat" that typically carried five or six sailors, Kerry went beyond the usual orders that called for flushing out the enemy. He would often order the boat to charge the shore, and at one point he chased down and killed a Viet Cong who had pointed a weapon at the craft. But after six months of dangerous duty on the waterways of South Vietnam, Kerry decided it was time to leave. He had received a Silver Star and a Bronze Star, as well as three Purple Hearts, all for relatively minor wounds, only one of which kept him out of action for a day or two. Naval regulations enabled someone with three Purple Hearts to leave early, and Kerry decided he had seen enough. One of his closest friends, Richard Pershing, the grandson of famed World War I general John Joseph Pershing, had been killed in combat, and Kerry had become disillusioned with the war.

-The Boston Globe, 1/18/2004

Suck on that, McG.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:40 pm
McGentrix wrote:
He was in the navy...on a boat...tanning and drinking I'll bet. Are there any actual witnesses to his heroism? I also heard that he put in his own papers for his last purple heart, you know the one that got his butt out of Vietnam?

Why did he leave anyways? I guess he just couldn't hack the puttering around in his sail boat all day.

Rolling Eyes

You're not serious about those "actual witnesses", are you? They're all over the blasted place now - the Kerry campaign is making sure of that.

So, anyway, when you said it was "fair for everyone to discuss" Kerry's military service, is this kinda what you meant? Like, just spouting random nonsense?

Oh wait, I'm Dutch, I must not be getting the magnificently witty ironies here. Ha ha ha.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:53 pm
Heywood wrote:
As the skipper of a small Navy "swift boat" that typically carried five or six sailors, Kerry went beyond the usual orders that called for flushing out the enemy. He would often order the boat to charge the shore, and at one point he chased down and killed a Viet Cong who had pointed a weapon at the craft. But after six months of dangerous duty on the waterways of South Vietnam, Kerry decided it was time to leave. He had received a Silver Star and a Bronze Star, as well as three Purple Hearts, all for relatively minor wounds, only one of which kept him out of action for a day or two. Naval regulations enabled someone with three Purple Hearts to leave early, and Kerry decided he had seen enough. One of his closest friends, Richard Pershing, the grandson of famed World War I general John Joseph Pershing, had been killed in combat, and Kerry had become disillusioned with the war.

-The Boston Globe, 1/18/2004

Suck on that, McG.

So, let me understand this...he risked not only his life, but also the lives of his crew charging a boat onto shore to give chase to a Vietnamese who may or may not have AIMED his gun at the boat? Have you seen a Navy swift boat? Surely they could have with stood small arms fire or maybe retaliated with any number of bullets from the twin 50's mounted on the bow. It seems to me that continuously putting your crew in harms way and endangering your boat by running it ashore really shouldn't qualify one for a medal. More likely a kick in the butt would have done more good. Anyone know how many crew members he lost performing these stunts?

Then, he bacame "disillusioned" and sad so he quit the war?! Shocked

You can do that?! I'll bet there were quite a few other soldiers in Vietnam who were disillusioned and sad but stuck out there tours...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:01 pm
the more childish and petulant they look.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:23 pm
http://usatoday.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=USATODAY.com+-+Poll%3A+No+bounce+for+Bush&expire=&urlID=9535646&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fnews%2Fpoliticselections%2Fnation%2Fpolls%2F2004-03-08-poll_x.htm&partnerID=1660

hmmmmm......
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:25 pm
McG, its official. You are out of your mind.

I hope you come to your senses and realize how absolutely retarded your response to my post was.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:44 pm
The amazing thing about it Heywood, is that I replied to your post without one attack on you or your posting style. Yet you seem to be unable to extend the same courtesy. When you can refute my post, do so.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:46 pm
BPB, didn't the polls once show Dean with an unsurmountable lead? Just goes to show you that the polls mean nothing until the voting begins.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
McGentrix tell us about your combat experience in Nam, number of kills...did you ever charge anyone personally? Were you in harms way ever? Just curious. I'm not attacking you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:48 pm
I am far too young to have served in Vietnam, but I could tell you about my dad...He was serving over there when I was born.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:49 pm
McGentrix wrote:
BPB, didn't the polls once show Dean with an unsurmountable lead? Just goes to show you that the polls mean nothing until the voting begins.

I don't believe they ever showed Dean with a lead over bush....didn't the polls once show bush as hugely popular with one of the largest approval ratings ever? Seems like I remember a lot of crowing about that......
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:50 pm
I meant over the other Democratic candidates of course. I personally hold zero faith in polls except for that one in November...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:02 pm
Kind of futile to attempt now to parse out what might have happened or did happen on any particular day during the late unlamented war in Vietnam.

Let me just say that there were those who went to great pains to accumulate purple hearts for minor and sometimes unrelated injuries, and those who didn't, The latter group being far larger. In my experience it was rare for an officer to nominate himself for such an award, and there were words we used to describe such people - though many were successful in accumulating many. I have no idea what were the real circumstances surrounding Kerry's experiences, but I am generally familiar with the swift boat operations in the Mekong delta.

I know lots of men who spent serious time in combat there and who completed several 8 month carrier deployments in combat air operations there, (I did 3). The intensity and risk levels of operations varied a great deal as the politicians repeatedly turned the heat up and down in the later years of the war. Some faced rather grim conditions, some saw relatively little danger. Generally those who saw the most of the worst are the least boastful and outspoken about their experiences. Kerry just doesn't shut up about his. Makes one wonder.

There is no doubt however about his grandstanding before the public eye after he got out of the service.

It is very difficult to credibly put the two images together. My phoneyometer is pegged.
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:10 pm
Actually he stayed at the Hanoi Hilton.He came home because they ran out of champagne.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:13 pm
McGentrix wrote:
BPB, didn't the polls once show Dean with an unsurmountable lead?

Not over Bush they didn't ;-)
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
It is highly anti-American to be attacking a decorated war hero no matter what he did in the quest to secure this country from some threat it faced.

It's the height of hypocrisy to be denegrating ANY Vietnam soldier, as war is hell, and there is no telling what might happen in combat situations.

Bush warned us not to denegrate the CURRENT national guard by inferring the national guard of the PAST was a way to avoid getting shot at, which is more anti-American backwash passing for a moral position.

Now they are attacking Kerry on his record with an incumbent having a much less significant role in all this.

It's downright anti-American. We are told today to honor the troops while those telling us this are bashing the hell out of former troops?

It is sickening to see it, but to be expected from the likes of Fedral. Those who would obliterate the truth in favor of manipulating opinions are by far the worst enemies America has ever faced, and it is coming from Americans, of course.

A sad spectacle to see the soaring gull break its wing and plummet to its death on the surface of the ocean.

This lying and distortion of truth is ruining this country in a big way, and yet, nothing stops those perpetuating it. The consequences are very real when left unchecked. Once delusion replaces reality, we are all goners.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:47 pm
McGentrix wrote:
The amazing thing about it Heywood, is that I replied to your post without one attack on you or your posting style. Yet you seem to be unable to extend the same courtesy. When you can refute my post, do so.

**Sigh** Ok, McGentrix. I don't know why you want me to break down your arguments like this (Its just going to make you look bad), but if that's what you want... [/b]

First, you say this:
McGentrix wrote:
Really Piffka, it's not like he was a grunt with his face in the mud. He was in the navy...on a boat...tanning and drinking I'll bet. Are there any actual witnesses to his heroism? I also heard that he put in his own papers for his last purple heart, you know the one that got his butt out of Vietnam?

That initial post was really a series of wise-ass kind of comments that don't say anything at all, just kind of bashing Kerry. I'll take it apart, piece by piece so you can understand it fully.

McGentrix wrote:
Kerry was "...on a boat...tanning and drinking I'll bet"

No basis for that argument. Nothing relevant to back it up. You don't know what the hell he was doing on the boat. I can just as easily say: "McGentrix...posting on A2K...in front of his computer...rubbing mayonnase all over his body I'll bet". Do I have any right to say that? No. Do I have anything to back that up? No. Do you get my point? I hope so.

McGentrix wrote:
I also heard that he put in his own papers for his last purple heart, you know the one that got his butt out of Vietnam?

Really? You "heard" that? Well, I "heard" that Sean Hannity likes to stuff cherries up his ass. What...you didn't hear about that? I hope you see where I'm going with this point. I'm saying that once again, your making baseless claims. When you have something substantial to back that up, something like...oh, say... FACTS or PROOF, then go ahead and say it. Otherwise, your just planting bullsh*t ideas in people's heads.

McGentrix wrote:

Man, I'm REALLY trying not to rip you a new assh*le over THAT comment. "Puttering around" on a "sail boat" all day? Kerry's actions on his navy boat were above and beyond what was expected of a soldier. So quickly, you just make the assumption that he's just floating around, having a grand old time, doing nothing, when a LITTLE SIMPLE RESEARCH would have cleared you up to that point. You, who (supposedly) has so much respect for our soldiers today, talking sh*t about someone who served his duty when he was called to. You should be ashamed.

Still with me? I hope so...

Ok, so I answered your first post, with a demonstration of Kerry's valor, reported in a reputable newspaper (I can do a lexis search for more, but that was sufficient for my point), basically destrying your previous comments.
What do you do? Acknowledge your mistake? Say how you misunderstood Kerry's actions in Vietnam? NO!!! Instead, you come at me with this b*llshit, trying to paint Kerry as some insane soldier, who was a liability to the rest of his unit:

McGentrix wrote:
So, let me understand this...he risked not only his life, but also the lives of his crew charging a boat onto shore to give chase to a Vietnamese who may or may not have AIMED his gun at the boat?

Oh my God! Kerry actually risked his life in a time of war in chasing down an enemy? How wreckless of him! Come on, dude. Wake the f*ck up.
And I like how you inserted "to give chase to a Vietnamese who may or may not have aimed his gun".

FIRST, the article clearly said it was a VIET CONG. Not a "Vietnamese".
SECOND, the article clearly said he POINTED A WEAPON. Not "may or may not have pointed a weapon.
Your starting to reek of desparation, dude. Changing a directly quoted news article to slant the view in your favor is pretty damn pathetic.

McGentrix wrote:
Surely they could have with stood small arms fire

Listen to yourself. Your advocating soldiers to sit back and take fire from the enemy. And did anyone say anything that the weapon that was pointed at them was "small arms"? No. It just says "a weapon". Once again your adding to the article. We have no clue what was pointed at the ship. I can only imagine the comments that would be coming from the conservatives today if instead of going after the enemy Kerry told the soldiers "No, guys...were not going to attack...I'm sure this boat can take some fire!" You'd be foaming at the mouth with rage.

mcGentrix wrote:
or maybe retaliated with any number of bullets from the twin 50's mounted on the bow.

Do you know the status of their .50 cal gun was? or the terrain where the enemy was? Or how much ammo they had or may have needed to conserve? You haven't a clue what your talking about.

McGentrix wrote:
It seems to me that continuously putting your crew in harms way and endangering your boat by running it ashore really shouldn't qualify one for a medal. More likely a kick in the butt would have done more good.

"continuously putting your crew in harms way"???? He was doing his job- Killing Victor Charlie. Not only that, but he was doing it with gusto, apparently. Hence his medals.

McGentrix wrote:
Anyone know how many crew members he lost performing these stunts?

Beats me. But I think it would be safe to say that if he lost crewmembers due to "stunts", it would be all over the place. I haven't seen anything of that nature yet, so your guess is as good as mine. Could have been none, could have been alot.
McGentrix wrote:
Then, he bacame "disillusioned" and sad so he quit the war?!

See, comments like this make me wonder about your mental competence. The article I posted explicitly stated: "Naval regulations enabled someone with three Purple Hearts to leave early". Kerry qualified for that category. Did you read that part of the article? Or did your "Conservative glasses" filter that part out for you?

McGentrix wrote:
You can do that?! I'll bet there were quite a few other soldiers in Vietnam who were disillusioned and sad but stuck out there tours...?

Point one: The article never said "and sad"... another one of your attempts to cheapen the article. That being said-
Kerry lost one of his closest friends to combat, and he was disillusioned over the war. Sounds reasonable to me.

As for the other soldiers...yes, I'm sure they were upset too. They also would have been able to come home early if they earned three purple hearts of their own. Now shut the f*ck up.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:21 pm
Heywood wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

**Sigh** Ok, McGentrix. I don't know why you want me to break down your arguments like this (Its just going to make you look bad), but if that's what you want... [/b]

Oh boy! Font size changes and everything! So, let's go through these...

Quote:
First, you say this:
McGentrix wrote:
Really Piffka, it's not like he was a grunt with his face in the mud. He was in the navy...on a boat...tanning and drinking I'll bet. Are there any actual witnesses to his heroism? I also heard that he put in his own papers for his last purple heart, you know the one that got his butt out of Vietnam?

That initial post was really a series of wise-ass kind of comments that don't say anything at all, just kind of bashing Kerry. I'll take it apart, piece by piece so you can understand it fully.

Yup. Guilty. I was merely bashing Kerry.

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
Kerry was "...on a boat...tanning and drinking I'll bet"

No basis for that argument. Nothing relevant to back it up. You don't know what the f*ck he was doing on the boat. I can just as easily say: "McGentrix...posting on A2K...in front of his computer...rubbing mayonnase all over his body I'll bet". Do I have any right to say that? No. Do I have anything to back that up? No. Do you get my point? I hope so.

I've never heard of this mayonaise thing. Is that something you do? Do you have any right to say that? Sure. It's a free country. Is there a difference between saying that about a public figure and saying it about a poster in a forum? Yup. Does one make you look like a total dick? Sure does.

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
I also heard that he put in his own papers for his last purple heart, you know the one that got his butt out of Vietnam?

Really? You "heard" that? Well, I "heard" that Sean Hannity likes to stuff cherries up his ass. What...you didn't hear about that? I hope you see where I'm going with this point. I'm saying that once again, your making baseless claims. When you have something substantial to back that up, something like...oh, say... FACTS or PROOF, then go ahead and say it. Otherwise, your just planting bullsh*t ideas in people's heads.

You should learn to make your point with fewer invectives.

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:

Man, I'm REALLY trying not to rip you a new assh*le over THAT comment. "Puttering around" on a "sail boat" all day? Kerry's actions on his navy boat were above and beyond what was expected of a soldier. So quickly, you just make the assumption that he's just floating around, having a grand old time, doing nothing, when a LITTLE SIMPLE RESEARCH would have cleared you up to that point. You, who (supposedly) has so much respect for our soldiers today, talking sh*t about someone who served his duty when he was called to. You should be ashamed.

Still with me? I hope so...

Ok, so I answered your first post, with a demonstration of Kerry's valor, reported in a reputable newspaper (I can do a lexis search for more, but that was sufficient for my point), basically destrying your previous comments.
What do you do? Acknowledge your mistake? Say how you misunderstood Kerry's actions in Vietnam? NO!!! Instead, you come at me with this b*llshit, trying to paint Kerry as some insane soldier, who was a liability to the rest of his unit:

I'm just laughing at you now, sorry.

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
So, let me understand this...he risked not only his life, but also the lives of his crew charging a boat onto shore to give chase to a Vietnamese who may or may not have AIMED his gun at the boat?

Oh my God! Kerry actually risked his life in a time of war in chasing down an enemy? How wreckless of him! Come on, dude. Wake the f*ck up.
And I like how you inserted "to give chase to a Vietnamese who may or may not have aimed his gun".

FIRST, the article clearly said it was a VIET CONG. Not a "Vietnamese".
SECOND, the article clearly said he POINTED A WEAPON. Not "may or may not have pointed a weapon.
Your starting to reek of desparation, dude. Changing a directly quoted news article to slant the view in your favor is pretty damn pathetic.

So a Viet Cong is not a Vietnamese? Are you sure about that? I wouldn't want to make a baseless claim here. Rolling Eyes

May or may not have. That is indeed what I said. Were you there? Was the reporter? Whose to say. Bush says he was in Alabama. Do I need to quote a reporter as saying he was? Is that enough?

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
Surely they could have with stood small arms fire

Listen to yourself. Your advocating soldiers to sit back and take fire from the enemy. And did anyone say anything that the weapon that was pointed at them was "small arms"? No. It just says "a weapon". Once again your adding to the article. We have no clue what was pointed at the ship. I can only imagine the comments that would be coming from the conservatives today if instead of going after the enemy Kerry told the soldiers "No, guys...were not going to attack...I'm sure this boat can take some fire!" You'd be foaming at the mouth with rage.

So, for future reference, the term "weapon" now only refers to large caliber munitions and recoiless projectiles? So we have no clue what was pointed at the boat. "We have no clue what was pointed at the ship." So then it could have been a stick that looked like a weapon and Kerry could have killed an innocent Vietnamese? I doubt that happened. As far as foaming at the mouth? I rarely do that anymore.

Quote:
mcGentrix wrote:
or maybe retaliated with any number of bullets from the twin 50's mounted on the bow.

Do you know the status of their .50 cal gun was? or the terrain where the enemy was? Or how much ammo they had or may have needed to conserve? You haven't a clue what your talking about.

...and you are a regular oracle of wisdom. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
It seems to me that continuously putting your crew in harms way and endangering your boat by running it ashore really shouldn't qualify one for a medal. More likely a kick in the butt would have done more good.

"continuously putting your crew in harms way"???? He was doing his f*cking job- Killing Victor Charlie. Not only that, but he was doing it with gusto, apparently. Hence his medals.

Leaving your post as commander of a boat is a court martial offense in the Navy.

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
Anyone know how many crew members he lost performing these stunts?

Beats me. But I think it would be safe to say that if he lost crewmembers due to "stunts", it would be all over the place. I haven't seen anything of that nature yet, so your guess is as good as mine. Could have been none, could have been alot.

McGentrix wrote:
Then, he bacame "disillusioned" and sad so he quit the war?!

See, comments like this make me wonder about your mental competence. The article I posted explicitly stated: "Naval regulations enabled someone with three Purple Hearts to leave early". Kerry qualified for that category. Did you read that part of the article? Or did your "Conservative glasses" filter that part out for you?

From your article:
Heywoods article wrote:
Naval regulations enabled someone with three Purple Hearts to leave early, and Kerry decided he had seen enough. One of his closest friends, Richard Pershing, the grandson of famed World War I general John Joseph Pershing, had been killed in combat, and Kerry had become disillusioned with the war.

So he wasn't sad his friend died? It SAYS he was disillusioned! My mental competence is fine, but I am beginning to doubt yours.

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
You can do that?! I'll bet there were quite a few other soldiers in Vietnam who were disillusioned and sad but stuck out there tours...?

Point one: The article never said "and sad"... another one of your attempts to cheapen the article. That being said-
Kerry lost one of his closest friends to combat, and he was disillusioned over the war. Sounds reasonable to me.

As for the other soldiers...yes, I'm sure they were upset too. They also would have been able to come home early if they earned three purple hearts of their own. Now shut the f*ck up.

I think you should mind your manners. Maybe read over the terms of service again. You have issues with the right, though I have no problem with that, you seem to get your ire up too high and then start spewing nonsense. Now calm down and have a drink. Maybe try again tomorrow.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:00 pm
Laughing

Your a trip, man. All smarmy comments, nothing of substance. My points stand strong, and unless you can make a real argument, I'm done with you on this topic.

And yeah, I swear at times. Particulary when I'm dealing with people trying to pass b*llshit off as the truth. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2004 11:30 am
McGentrix wrote:
I am far too young to have served in Vietnam, but I could tell you about my dad...He was serving over there when I was born.

Then you are just an arm chair quarterback whose only real issue would be what to do first in combat...pee or poop your pants......welcome to the brigade of the regular guys....it's not so bad really......
0 Replies