Dear Mr. Kerry

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 08:02 pm
Still no takers for the $10,000 reward offered for anyone who saw George Bush performing his service duties in Alabama.
Ah, well....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 09:23 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are allowing your dislike of what you perceive to be a liberal to cloud your mind on this issue.

The guy went to war -- and he distinguished himself.

I know you are a military man -- and that should mean something to you.

Perhaps there is something to what you say, Frank. However, I have learned through my own life that those who did and experienced the most rarely talk about it, and those who bring it up constantly are generally exaggerating - or worse. The real experiences and the memory of one's complex reactions to them are very mixed - hardly fond old memories one likes to replay.

Five months was a very short tour, compared to most. He was then and is now a very self-important politician.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2004 10:36 pm
Some of you guys are absolutely amazing.

The f*cking guy SERVED.

He went over, killed, was injured, and was distinguised for it.

Just concede that point already!
Now the problem is that he didn't serve ENOUGH? And that he talks about it? He has every right to say whatever the hell he wants. He was THERE.

You people are friggin' hilarious.

(By the way, did you know that Bush actually said he went to war?
"I've been to war...I've raised twins. I'd rather go to war" Ain't that a hoot? Laughing)
0 Replies

gozmo

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:06 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are allowing your dislike of what you perceive to be a liberal to cloud your mind on this issue.

The guy went to war -- and he distinguished himself.

I know you are a military man -- and that should mean something to you.

Perhaps there is something to what you say, Frank. However, I have learned through my own life that those who did and experienced the most rarely talk about it, and those who bring it up constantly are generally exaggerating - or worse. The real experiences and the memory of one's complex reactions to them are very mixed - hardly fond old memories one likes to replay.

Five months was a very short tour, compared to most. He was then and is now a very self-important politician.

Some had shorter tours...................
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 07:20 am
Critics here should recall that the issue of Kerry's service in Vietnam was not the creation of Kerry's opponents. (They criticize him for his wasted years in the Senate, his waffling on major issues, and his transparent attempts to conceal his left wing bias.)

The issue of his service in Vietnam is discussed only because he, himself, brings it up at every opportunity and in nearly every speech. He is the one who insists that it is a meaningful distinction between him and his political opponents. He is the one who repeatedly insists that it has given him greater understanding of military affairs and indeed even international strategy. There are many who saw far more action than he who know that these propositions are false.

It is true, however, that Kerry's servce in Vietnam, and the subsequent very theatrical betrayal of his comrades and service before a politically charged Congressional Committee did accomplish something politically. It launched his public and political career - something that I suspect was his real objective all along.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 08:45 am
Yeah right - Kerry went to the Vietnam hell for five months and, like Heywood says, killed and got injured - in order to launch his political career. Dude. <shakes head>
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:43 am
nimh wrote:
Yeah right - Kerry went to the Vietnam hell for five months and, like Heywood says, killed and got injured - in order to launch his political career. Dude. <shakes head>

Kerry went to Nam. He was there. bush skated out with guard duty(?) bought and paid for with daddy's money. Flew over Alabama when he bothered to be there. End of story. Irrefutable.

All the rest is just bickering. Have fun.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:43 am
nimh wrote:

Kerry went to Nam. He was there. bush skated out with guard duty(?) bought and paid for with daddy's money. Flew over Alabama when he bothered to be there. End of story. Irrefutable.

0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 09:44 am
nimh wrote:

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:32 am
Gesundheit, Bear!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 10:57 am
nimh wrote:

Does this surprise you? It has been done many times.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 11:22 am
Actually I think very few people have intentionally gone to war Vietnam in order to launch a political career.

Perhaps George means to say that it's not uncommon for people to try to base a political career off of their exploits in war.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:45 pm
Thats quite something different, and yeh, fersure, that would be an "open door" ... (as in the dutch saying, "kicking in an open door")

But, considering the "something that I suspect was his real objective all along" part, it's not what he said ...

sometimes you would wish people to always be as reasonable as you held them to be ... sometimes you wish you could make what they said into what you would have expected them to say ...

<smiles>
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 12:52 pm
What should one use to launch a political career?

Distinguished military service seems a good a launching point as any. It's not nepotism or connections in the oil industry, mind you, but it will do...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:32 pm
nimh wrote:
Thats quite something different

I was going to add that it wasn't at all what you'd said but didn't feel like assuming meanings at that point.

But IMO George has a point (if not exactly what you'd said).

Kerry does seem to exagerrate the war hero stuff. And it is true that it's more untoward to blow the horn.

But last night I was lsitening to TV (sitting in the same room reading while my cousin was watching her crime shows) and heard a guy in the drama make a crack bout the flight suit.

And that reminded me that some people (other than hard core lefties) really do pick up on Bush's posturing.

IMO it's fair to say that Kerry postures (and to some extent who doesn't) but IMO it's not nearly as bad as some of the Bush posturing.

Kerry's seems to be "I went to war so I'm manly" while Bush seems to be "I started wars so I'm manly".

But one of Kerry's advisors said something a long time ago (when Kerry was seen as having no chance) that really put me off. He said something like "Kerry is a real alpha male, he doesn't need to play one on TV" or something (I'm sure I have the quote off by a mile).

The point was that this posturing was blatant and idiotic, even if done by an advisor instead of Kerry.

The whole penis war element of this election is a big turn off to me, but I think this might not be typical and that for some the penis wars will be an influencing factor.

And in doing my duty in the efforts to ouster Bush I'm busy spreading rumours about Kerry's penis of Biblical proportions.

Other ABBs should do the same.

Just kiddin', in case anyone doesn't pick up on that
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 01:36 pm
I heard that he was trying to make up for the fact that the REAL Mr. Kerry (Or Mr. Heinz I should say) is behind all his aspirations.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 02:46 pm
For many men who went to Viet Nam, their time there, whether it was the standard one year, or re-upping for multiple tours, or just five months before leaving from injuries --was an experience that became a turning point in their lives. One that will forever haunt them, one that will continue to come up in day-to-day conversation. It is hardly possible to describe the extent of their disillusionment. I think it is safe to say that most were no longer entrenched in the supposedly straightforward path most of America THOUGHT it was on in the fifties and early sixties. (That rosy path the Neo-Cons pretend still exists.)

Many, I'd say MOST young mwn who went to Viet Nam came back with a much clearer view of the dichotomy between what was being presented to the American people and what was going on in Asia. They had been screwed themselves yet couldn't even fall back on their time as noble & even brave -- their time in Viet Nam became instead, a point of shame. They wondered why they'd made the mistake of supporting their country, even if it was accepting the draft. (Why didn't you do the right thing and flee to Canada, anyway?)

I think it is possible that Kerry, the veteran, also returned home a changed man, maybe even one who thought he could do something good for this country. No doubt, he, like many others, was still charged with the energy of the Kennedy administration. That doesn't seem such a giant stretch to me nor does it seem to be reprehensible in any way.

Without even considering the awfulness of the personal attrocities which were reported by the VVW, the horror of Viet Nam was the stress of close combat and the force of overwhelming firepower, the hell of napalm bombs and their aftermath, finding the remains of villagers tortured by the Viet Cong, and the unbelievable injuries that were suffered throughout. Couple that with the sheer poverty of Viet Nam and the strangeness of its culture... these made some real changes in attitude for Viet Nam Vets. It is really a low blow for anyone to assume the posture that Kerry's tour was a five-month vacation in Viet Nam, planned so that he'd somehow look good running for office thirty-odd years later. In reality, anybody who spent time in Viet Nam knows that it was a living nightmare seen up close and first hand.
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 04:23 pm
Piffka is right on the money.

Kerry actually killed VC. I don't know about you, but taking another man's life is a big deal in my book.

If I were a Bush supporter, I'd just leave this issue well enough alone. The more they talk about it, the better Kerry looks.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 05:52 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I heard that he was trying to make up for the fact that the REAL Mr. Kerry (Or Mr. Heinz I should say) is behind all his aspirations.

and ya know, the more they pull out the Mr. Heinz thing, the more childish and petulant they look. Exactly what they accuse bush detractors of. Very amusing and satisfying to see. Also very typical. Dish it out but can't take GOPers. God love 'em.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2004 06:20 pm
Someone else already said Mr. Heinz? Sad

Really Piffka, it's not like he was a grunt with his face in the mud. He was in the navy...on a boat...tanning and drinking I'll bet. Are there any actual witnesses to his heroism? I also heard that he put in his own papers for his last purple heart, you know the one that got his butt out of Vietnam?

Why did he leave anyways? I guess he just couldn't hack the puttering around in his sail boat all day.
0 Replies