about marriage

irfan19

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 06:34 am
can i marry a girl.whose mother's father and my mother's father are brothers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 752 • Replies: 5

View best answer, chosen by irfan19
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2012 06:54 am
@irfan19,
She is your second cousin. Most countries allow second cousins to marry but you did not say what country you live in.
irfan19

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 10:07 am
@contrex,
india... i m muslim
contrex

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2012 11:04 am
@irfan19,
irfan19 wrote:

india... i m muslim

Why don't you ask your Imam?

Attitudes in India on cousin marriage vary sharply by region and culture. For Muslims it is acceptable and legal to marry a first cousin. (and therefore definitely a second cousin). But for Hindus it may be illegal under the 1955 Hindu Marriage Act, though the specific situation is more complex. The Hindu Marriage Act makes cousin marriage illegal for Hindus with the exception of marriages permitted by regional custom. Practices of the small Christian minority are also location dependent: their cousin marriage rates are higher in southern states like Karnataka with high overall rates.

Cousin marriage is explicitly allowed in Islam as seen in chapter 4 verse 23 of the Qur'an:

Quote:
Prohibited to you (For marriage) are:- Your mothers, daughters, sisters; father's sisters, Mother's sisters; brother's daughters, sister's daughters; foster-mothers (Who gave you suck), foster-sisters; your wives' mothers; your step-daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom ye have gone in,- no prohibition if ye have not gone in;- (Those who have been) wives of your sons proceeding from your loins; and two sisters in wedlock at one and the same time, except for what is past; for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;-

So everyone besides these relatives named can be married. Such marriages in Muslim majority countries are often preferred and even encouraged in some regions. This is in stark contrast with countries such as China and some Western nations (USA some states, but not Europe) where cousin-marriage is against the law and regarded as incest.

irfan19

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 10:37 am
@contrex,
I have one more doubt....I belong to Khan family...and she belong to Shariff family....can i marry her...
contrex

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2012 10:55 am
@irfan19,
irfan19 wrote:

I have one more doubt....I belong to Khan family...and she belong to Shariff family....can i marry her...

Why not? How should we know? Ask a relative you trust.
0 Replies