ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 09:13 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I give Biden more credit at least he came out fighting - although he needed to be more respectful people don't like it when you act condescending.

I give credit Biden for being honest, telling the truth, getting the facts out.

Interestingly (?), I'm one of the radio listeners that McGentrix referenced. If you listened to the debate, Biden totally schooled Ryan.

If I have to choose between laughing and eye-rolling to go with the truth, or I have to choose lies, I'll go with the truth-teller.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 09:17 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The debate was not aimed at the middle. The focus of the campaigns from here on out is to get out the base.

this makes a lot of sense. certainly a lot of Democrats loved Biden last night (based on the FB threads I was following while I listened) and his work last night should rev up a few people who were thinking of not bothering to go out to vote.

I'm still surprised how well he did. I was not expecting Biden to do well.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 09:21 am
@maxdancona,
Agreed

Most of the undeciders seem to be those who either lean one way or another. If you lean right, you were likely put off by Joe Biden's mannerism. If you lean left, you were encouraged Biden managed to get the issues articulated in between all the smiles.

We'll see in a few days how it unfolds, still too early to tell yet as the polls have different winners among the so called undeciders.

Obama talked of Libya attack as 'terror' 2 weeks ago

Quote:
Despite a drumbeat from the right and even independent fact-checkers that President Barack Obama has been unwilling to label as terrorism the attack on a United States diplomatic mission in Libya, the president indicated just a day after the killing of the American ambassador there that the assault was part of a series of "acts of terror" the U.S. has faced.

"No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for," Obama said in a Rose Garden statement on Sept. 12. "Today, we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done."

Notwithstanding Obama's initial statement, Republicans have faulted him for failing to use the word "terrorism" to describe the attack, even when he was asked directly about it during an interview on Monday.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 09:45 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are wrong about "the middle". The debate was not aimed at the middle. The focus of the campaigns from here on out is to get out the base.

To be in the middle at this point of this contentious debate between two very different views people have to be either stupid or apathetic. The people in the middle are going to vote for some stupid random reason, if they vote at all.

This year there aren't very many people in the middle, which is why you don't see the campaigns focusing on them very much.

The election will be won by the side that gets the most of its supporters riled up enough to get to the polls. The middle doesn't matter (no matter how important it wants to feel).

If this is true, then why did Romney tack to the middle instead of pander to the right-wing in his first debate with Obama?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:00 am
I felt Biden smirked because of Ryan's vapid statements. In particular, Ryan's weak anti-abortion statements may alienate people on both sides of the abortion issue.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:36 am
@sozobe,
Anyone still "undecided" ought to have all knives, scissors, and other sharp objects removed from their reach.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:45 am
Proverbs 29:9 When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, The foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 10:59 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Proverbs 26:9 Like a thornbush in a drunkard's hand is a proverb in the mouth of a fool.
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 11:08 am
Hehehehehehehehehehe . . .
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 11:26 am
I didn't see the debate, but it is clear to me after reading the commentary by both sides' talking heads that Biden clearly came out on top. No one is talking about how good Ryan looked. The right is talking about how Biden was "unhinged' and a "bully" (translation: we can't attack what he said so we attack the man and how dare he beat up on a nice woman from Alaska). The left is crowing victory.

I don't think it matters one way or another other than to blunt Romney's momentum from the last debate, but it doesn't blunt it much. If Romney wins the next debate, he could turn the election. Obama has to have at least two draws from here on out.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 11:29 am
@maxdancona,
Finn just can't show his antlers, here, without getting a burn.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 12:21 pm
@DrewDad,
For anyone who doesn't read Fark: http://www.indiegogo.com/BidensTransAm
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:08 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I didn't see the debate, but it is clear to me after reading the commentary by both sides' talking heads that Biden clearly came out on top. No one is talking about how good Ryan looked. The right is talking about how Biden was "unhinged' and a "bully" (translation: we can't attack what he said so we attack the man and how dare he beat up on a nice woman from Alaska). The left is crowing victory.

I don't think it matters one way or another other than to blunt Romney's momentum from the last debate, but it doesn't blunt it much. If Romney wins the next debate, he could turn the election. Obama has to have at least two draws from here on out.

Polls showing that a majority believe that Ryan won blows your theory that Biden "clearly" won to hell.
IRFRANK

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:15 pm
@sozobe,
Agree . Thanks for stating my view also.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:18 pm
@Linkat,
Sounds like you were predisposed not to like Biden and confirmed your opinion. What did you think about the facts?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:20 pm
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/oct/11/fact-checking-vice-presidential-debate-between-joe/

http://factcheck.org/2012/10/veep-debate-violations/
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:24 pm
@Linkat,
It's nice that you see yourself as middle of the road, but it doesn't seem that way to me. Pay attention to the substance, not personality.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:24 pm
@engineer,
When Romney acts that way, he is declared the winner. When Biden does pretty much the same thing, the right calls him a smirking bully.

engineer wrote:

0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Knives?

Laughing
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2012 01:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
What polls, from what I can tell so far, CNN says Ryan but two others, Biden won, both in a CBS snap poll of uncommitted voters who watched the debate and in an NBC focus group of undecided voters in Virginia.

sozobe has the link to one and here is the other

0 Replies