gungasnake

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 01:22 pm
http://cdn.bernardgoldberg.com/wp-content/uploads/obama-nixon-300x225.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:55 pm
@revelette,
You don't really and yet somehow you know there's nothing to this scandal.

It's not just my opinion of course, but in any case you dismiss it as "not a big deal"

Our government manipulates the truth to serve political (read "re-election") purposes and you find this not a big deal. You've apparently grown quite complacent or cynical, or both. By the way, Hillary, knowing it not to be true, told the parents of one of the dead CIA operatives that the attack was due to the anti-Islamist video and vowed to make the producer pay. Not a big deal?

I don't really care whether or not you take my word for it, stay ignorant.

No, actually the cuts were not embassy specific and the link you provided suggests no such thing. Whatever cuts were legislated, they were not specific to each of the embassies. Congress did not order that $X be cut from the security to diplomatic facilities in Libya.

Some American embassies are in much more dangerous locations than other. Some embassies, like the one in Libya asked for increased security. If the State Department applied the mandated cuts equally across the globe; without consideration for the specific conditions in each country, it and it's head, were guilty of gross mismanagement. That you can't see this must be willful ignorance. It's the only explanation that makes any sense short of you being an absolute idiot and I would never suggest that.

But keep on averting your eyes. Nothing here, nothing going on with the IRS, and nothing going on with the AP.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:58 pm
@mysteryman,
But of course it's not all about the issue upon which you've opined, with as much or as little expertise as any other poster in this forum.

It did get you a bunch of thumb ups though.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 03:59 pm

Obama lies to the country once again
6:00 pm today on a screen near you.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 02:09 am
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/fladj11/April%202012/holder-oath.jpg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 08:51 am
As with many contrived Republican "scandals," I can't really figure out what's so scandalous about Benghazi. As far as I can tell, Obama's critics think that, if the administration had said initially that it was a terrorist attack (rather than just an "act of terror") by al Qaida, somehow Americans would have been outraged and Romney would have been elected.

This sort of magical thinking is typical of the Republican mindset: "if Romney had only done 'X,' he would have been elected!" the thinking goes. That ignores a wealth of evidence that: (1) Romney probably did try "X," and it didn't work; and (2) whatever "X" Republicans might be thinking of, it wouldn't have helped and would have likely made things even worse. The collective "so what?" of the American public to Benghazi (which, lest we forget, the Republicans tried to use against Obama during the campaign) is a pretty strong indication that it wasn't a very effective issue for the GOP in 2012. Let's face it: nothing could have salvaged the disaster that was the Romney campaign.

The only resonance that Republicans are getting out of this non-issue now is primarily the result of the lazy, complacent news media that are grabbing onto a story with plenty of headline potential, albeit with no real substance, in an otherwise slow news cycle, as well as their craven servility to the right-wing noise machine that has been "working the refs" for years by whining about how the "left-wing media" havn't paid right-wing causes sufficient attention. If even one-tenth of the attention paid to the supposed misdeeds surrounding Benghazi had been devoted to the Bush administration's lies leading up to the invasion of Iraq, we would have all been better off.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 09:07 am
@joefromchicago,
You just dont understand that laying on the ground and kicking and screaming at the top of your lungs is a time honored tactic by juvenile childern like the conservatives. Too bad the adults around them dont take them in hand.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 09:08 am
@joefromchicago,
That sure is a lot of horse **** all piled into a nicely arranged sentence structure Joe.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 09:19 am
@RABEL222,
Even adults act like Republicans sometimes.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 09:34 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

That sure is a lot of horse **** all piled into a nicely arranged sentence structure Joe.

I'm glad you enjoyed my sentence structure.
DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 09:45 am
@joefromchicago,
Even if these people went on news programs and deliberately lied... so what? They weren't under oath.

Maybe it was part of a psy-op to get a group to take credit for the attack.

Maybe they were mistaken.

Maybe they just chose to deliberately lie. (Although I find it unlikely.)

So?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 09:51 am

Today, America is more ashamed of this president than it was yesterday
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:22 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
Even if these people went on news programs and deliberately lied... so what? They weren't under oath

So then it is ok with you if politicians lie, as long as they aren't under oath at the time?

Do you hold repubs to the same standard?
mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 01:47 pm
One of the claims by the left is that the repubs cut funding, so there was no money to protect the compound in Benghazi.
That claim is totally FALSE.

I find it interesting that the left ignores the fact that the dems also cut funding...
Quote:

In fact, the Congressional Research Service has documented that Congress, whether led by Democrats and Republicans, year after year did not fully fund the various pots of money for embassy security. (See page 25.) The State Department, for instance, was shortchanged by $142 million in fiscal year 2010, when Democrats controlled both houses of Congress

And I find it interesting that the State Depts OVERALL funding has actually gone UP since FY2007...

Quote:
“The Department of State’s base requests for security funding have increased by 38 percent since Fiscal Year (FY) 2007, and base budget appropriations have increased by 27 percent in the same time period,” said the bipartisan Senate Homeland Security Committee report on the Benghazi attack.

The report added that baseline funding requests have not been fully funded since fiscal year 2010, but noted that Congress had been responsive in providing “Overseas Contingency Operations” funds to the State Department in response to emergent security-driven requests, mainly for Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

“However, there was no supplemental or OCO request made by the President for additional diplomatic security enhancements in FY 2010 or FY 2011,” the report pointedly noted. “Neither the Department of State nor Congress made a point of providing additional funds in a supplemental request for Libya, or more specifically, Benghazi.”

Quote:

Meanwhile, while the Accountability Review Board investigation into the attack lamented the failure of Congress to provide necessary resources — and called for “a more serious and sustained commitment from Congress to support State Department needs” — it fixed the blame for the lack of security squarely on State Department officials.

Quote:
During hearings into the attack last fall and this month, State Department officials were specifically asked if a lack of financial resources played a role in the attack. The answer was no.

I wont post the entire piece, but all of the parts I quoted, and the rest of the piece, can be seen here...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/barbara-boxers-claim-that-gop-budgets-hampered-benghazi-security/2013/05/15/d1e295cc-bdb0-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_blog.html

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 02:31 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Do you hold repubs to the same standard?

Yeah, for the most part.

If they're talking about something that happened yesterday, halfway across the world, I'll give 'em some leeway.

Now if they're telling me why they want to start a war, then I'd hold 'em to a higher standard.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 02:40 pm
@mysteryman,
Here's a lie for you. "Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction and can fire them in 45 minutes."

That's easily the biggest lie of the 21st Century. Nothing else gets even close.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 06:22 pm
@izzythepush,
Get with it Izzy. This was a republican president. Its what they do.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 06:32 pm
@izzythepush,
By the way Izzy. You might want to purchase President Bushes new book that describes how he became president and saved the world. I believe its listed under fiction.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 May, 2013 07:12 pm
@izzythepush,
And the biggest lie of the 20th century caused 58,000 American dead and 303,000 wounded. And that lie was told by a democrat.

All that proves is that both parties are liars, what's your point?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 02:34 am
@mysteryman,
My point is that you get all hot and bothered by the deaths of four Americans in Benghgazi whilst ignoring the slaughter in Iraq.

As for Vietnam, we were lucky enough to have Harold Wilson as prime minister, he kept us out of it. It's not so much of an issue over here.