Being accused of cheating on my python programming homework not sure what to tell the TA?

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 06:59 pm
I started my homework on the day it was due very late after getting off work because I had forgot about it. I solved several of the programs and was having a hard time with one of the programs. I was using the internet to look up examples of how to do the problem. I was not looking for answers I was just looking for help in the form of a example which I could see how they did it and then make my code and solution doing it another way. Anyway I saw that someone in my class had asked a question on a website. I took a piece of the python code from there and was trying to figure out how it worked and to get it to run. I was then of course going to create my own code of course I don't believe in cheating. Anyway I couldn't figure out how it worked and so decided to go to the next question and come back to the code and the question. I was becoming very tired and frustrated when I noticed the time was almost up to submit my answers. I panicked figuring since I was almost falling asleep I should submit the homework I had done already and taking my lumps with the grade. Stupid me forgot to go over my code again and I left the code from that website on there on accident when i submitted the homework. The TA graded the homework giving me a 0 and asked to talk to me about my homework. I completely agree that I messed up and should receive punishment for this I don't believe though that I should get an F for the whole class though. My intention was just to submit my own work never anyone else's and I am deeply ashamed of what happened. I am just not sure what to tell the TA in this particular case because even though I am going to tell the truth I don't know if he would believe me. I am just wondering what to tell them. Also just wondering what you think should happen to me.

View best answer, chosen by steveRandolph
Ragman

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:09 pm
@steveRandolph,
Winners never cheat. Cheaters never win.

Tired or not, you submitted someone else's work. Take your lumps and never let it happen again.

In the future, submit your homework on time so there isn't the kind of pressure to on yourself to hurry and cut corners. Also next time don't put yourself in the circumstance where you're so tired you make judgement errors. This sort of good habit will help you immeasurably in industry.
steveRandolph

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:12 pm
@Ragman,
I guess that's true and I understand that I am just wondering what I should tell the TA. I realize I cheated when I submitted the work. I did however not cheat looking it up on the website since they encourage you to look at all code online. I am just wondering what I should tell the TA in order to make sure that I don't get an F for the class. I know deserve punishment just not that it was a mistake a stupid mistake and I am deeply ashamed. Also just wondering what you think will happen to me. I have never cheated before and never will. Thank you for replying by the way.
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:24 pm
@steveRandolph,
It is simple - because you were aware when you submitted the homework that you cheated then what sort of defense can you have? You cheated and were aware you cheated.

Had you chosen instead to be later with the homework but did all your own coding then the damage would have been far less and you'd not have suffered the indignity and loss of reputation.

Take your lumps. I have no idea of what your punishment will or should be. Tell the TA that it will never happen again and make sure it doesn't.
steveRandolph

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:26 pm
@Ragman,
Like I already said thank you. When I posted this I wasn't looking for sympathy from anyone I know I screwed up. What you said is what I needed to hear. Guess I am just freaking out and wondering what is going to happen to me. I know I am going to be truthful on this and take the punishment I do think it would be a little overkill if they give me an F for the whole class. If that's what happens that's what happens.
0 Replies

steveRandolph

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 07:36 pm
@Ragman,
I wasn't aware that I had left that on there tell after but yes your right I shall go take my punishment.
0 Replies