Have you ever told someone you didnt have feelings for them anymore even when you still did?

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:34 pm
There was this guy I was talking to and things were amazing between us. We had a healthy relationship. Like that poster couple for that relationship everyone wants. He was like my best friend and we didn't have to work hard to make things work or compromise on anything. We naturally meshed incredibly well. He had what I needed and I had what he needed. Together, we just fit like a glove. No one has ever showed me such devotion and such willingness to express their feelings. Its like he didnt care if he looked like a sissy. He cared about me and was determined to show me how much. I also truly appreciated him and told him all the time. Things were just great. But then...

There was this one minor thing we could not get over. It was soooo minor and both of us over reacted. We had such a great thing going when one little hiccup occurred we acted like spoiled children because things were not perfect. We took for granted what we had and both forgot how rare it is to find what we had. Like a fool I stopped talking to him. I dropped him cold turkey instead of just taking a break to sort my feelings. He, like a fool as well, decided to give up. We are both stubborn people and I think he was waiting for me to come crawling back, as I was doing the same thing---I was waiting for him to come crawling back because neither of us wanted to take the blame for things.
I was so stupid. Instead of playing games I should have looked around me and counted how many people adored someone with all their being and had that person adore them just as much right back. Instead, I listened to my stupid girlfiends who were telling me not to take that crap and that independent women dont stress over guys.

I never stopped thinking about him and one day after like a month I got back in contact with him. Long story short he said he was seeing someone new and although they were not officially in a relationship, that is the direction it was going in. He told me he still liked me and thought about me a lot but he needs to be respectful of his new girl. He told me we could just talk to each other briefly as friends every once in a while but thats it. By this time I had also moved far away from him and he told me this was also a big factor. He told me if I was back home things would be different. I didnt expect him to get into a long distance relationship with him but I was furious that he said we could only talk every once in a blue. I got angry at him and blew my chance again. Instead of playing it smart and staying in his life so that when this girl trips up of course I'll be the one he runs to.

Like 2 months after we had this conversation I moved back home early unexpectedly. Like a year earlier than what I had told him. I waited like a whole month after I found out I was going back home early to tell him because I wanted to make sure it was really going to happen and I wanted to surprise him. I told him I was back and things got so ugly. It had only been like 2 months since we had stopped talking and he was acting like he didnt know me. He was saying that it was real serious with this girl now and that I needed to move on. He wished me goodluck in my future endeavors and thats it! I was so heartbroken and shocked. When someone you cared about so much comes back into your life after you thought it might be years until you saw them again...you dont just say 'cool goodluck'!! WTF?? What is his problem?! Thats so hurtful! He told me we couldnt even see each other or even talk through phone every once in a while. He said this was it we needed to end contact immediately and that if I didnt stop contacting him he would block my number. The most hurtful thing he said is 'I dont like you like that, sorry'. How can a person so beautiful on the inside turn so ugly? How can two people talk about future plans and then 2 months later the person speak to you like a stranger and say 'sorry I dont have feelings for you anymore'? Feelings cant just be turned off like a switch. I understand I messed up and hurt his feelings more than once. But I never stopped thinking or caring about him. Ever. I was foolish with him, but I did my best at the time. We were so perfect together and stopped talking to each other for something that could have easily been fixed. Now a couple months later he has no feelings for me? Do intense feelings just go away?

Do you think he is just telling me that so that I can leave him alone because he still likes me and if I hung around I would be a danger to his relationship? I dont believe someone can just wake up and decide they dont like a person anymore. He is acting like he is seriously possessed. I dont even recognize this man. I have never seen him so cold. Do you think his girlfriend is making him say these things to me? I think hes just saying he doesnt have feelings for me so that it is easier to focus on his relationship. What do you think?? HAVE YOU EVER TOLD SOMEONE YOU DIDNT LIKE THEM ANYMORE EVEN THOUGH YOU DID?

In my heart there is something telling me not to give up on him. Just to let go for now and let his relationship run its course. Even if it takes 6,7,8 months. Just let it go and he will come back. It just hard to follow my heart when me head is reading the things he said to me like 'i dont have feelings for you anymore'. Dont get me wrong Im not going to be a nun over here waiting for him to get it together. Im still going to go about life and date other people...but my heart is telling me to leave a little space in the back corner of my heart for him because there is a time for us...its just not now. I dont forget about those times not too long ago just this spring when he was begging to be a part of my life and all the beautiful memories we had. But I am wondering if its unwise to leave even an ounce of room in my heart for him and maybe i should just try to forget his memory totally.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 7,011 • Replies: 10
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by ForbiddenGarden
jespah

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 08:03 am
I think he was hurt and is trying to move on.

I still can't figure out wtf made your little world come crashing down, but if a little thing hurts him this much, sheesh, you don't need this drama in your life. What'll happen if something really bad happens (e. g. someone close to you dies, or you lose your income, or you witness a bad accident)? Will he freak out then, too?

Better that you know now, eh?

Now give him some space. If it comes around that this relationship happens again, sobeit. But go into it clear-eyed, both of you, and recognize that life ain't perfect. And short-term relationships absolutely can be perfect. But when sameness and time sets in, and you need to work to keep together? That is when the rubber meets the road. I am not saying that you need to suffer or any nonsense like that. But long-term couples need to negotiate real life (screaming kids, a lost job, a sick parent, etc.), not try to figure out how to get "perfect" back. Real people are trying to figure out how to keep "great enough" in their lives.

Now go out and be great enough.
ForbiddenGarden

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 04:51 pm
@jespah,
@Jespah:
Do you think you could ever be so hurt you would tell someone to stop talking to them and that you dont feel for them what they feel for you? He told me that we must cease contact and that he doesnt care if he ever saw me again. This is just so heartbreaking to me. Im trying to connect the dots and figure out what happened between now and the last time we spoke. He talks to me like a stranger...I asked him why he hates me so much and he said he doesnt. He just feels that for the sake of his new relationship we must not keep in contact.

He says he doesnt hate me but he acts like he does. You dont have to completely cut yourself off to the outside world once you enter a new relationship. For him to say we cant ever speak again because of his new girl is like saying that because of this woman he could care less about what happens to me in the future and how my life turns out. Like he just hit a button in his heart that made him forget about me. Even if he did want to cut me out of his life because he felt it was too dangerous to his relationship.... for him to say 'i dont feel for you the way you feel for me', 'we cant keep in contact my girlfriend is very jealous', and 'dont text me again, good luck with everything' as if I am some strange woman trying to pick him up at a bar is hurtful and I dont understand it!

So really my question is: Is it possible to be so hurtful to someone because you resent them? If you still liked them , even if you were upset with them and they came to you saying they'd like another chance isnt that the time to give it a go instead of pushing the person away and risking them being so hurt they never speak to you again?

I am just so confused and hurt right now. My heart is broken.
djjd62

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 04:53 pm
Have you ever told someone you didnt have feelings for them anymore even when you still did?

i say that most days to the guy in the mirror
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:10 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
Ah, there's a new relationship. Sorry I must have missed that in the original post.

He is distancing himself for the sake of the new relationship. That means he wants to try to make that one work. And if you are hanging around, that makes it difficult for him.

Recognize what is happening here, and don't frame it as him being mean to you or hurting you. Frame it, instead, as him giving you the opportunity to go out and meet someone else.

He cannot be with you or even be friends with you while he is in his new relationship.

You need to repeat that, daily, until it sinks in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:21 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
He has moved on.

Now it's your turn.

Given this thread, I think we all misfired in your thread from earlier this year. The poor guy definitely has my sympathy.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2012 05:22 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
ForbiddenGarden wrote:
Im trying to connect the dots

He has made the decision to make a commitment to make his new relationship work. He's probably learned quite a bit from the constant on-off with you.

He is in a relationship. It is not with you.
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2012 05:11 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
It takes time to work out what love is.

It takes time to work out "not to get angry" and how to control that anger.

You seem to have a pattern of falling for someone, then using anger which destroys any chance and then fall into the hopeless romantic catagory, like the "prince and princess" stories you grew up with and are happy to "settle" because you don't want to lose.

Find yourself before you can find love.
ForbiddenGarden

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 10:19 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Found Soul--
Although this does not answer my question thank you for giving me more insight than anyone here. You are totally right. For so long I had been waiting for someone like him, only to let it slip out my fingers so easily. I honestly, dont know what I was thinking. I guess I was resentful and felt uncared for by him and needed to see if he would come back to me after I had already let him go. I should not have played games like that. But shame on him for trying to 'teach me a lesson' by ceasing communication with me instead of recognizing I was someone who CLEARLY cared about him and was acting out of confusion and hurt. Thanks for not being rude and kicking me when I'm down like some of the other people here. Yes there was constant on/off but it was NOT all me. He cut it off with me twice. I think I've only cut it off with him once. And when I did I only wanted space. I never stopped caring about him. Ever. Hopefully he still cares about me somewhere in his heart and when we meet again we will both be better people and see how special and rare what we have really is.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2012 04:24 pm
@ForbiddenGarden,
Forbidden,

For what it's worth. Most 'young' girls, accept the wrong guys, the tougher ones, maybe even more popular ones only to get hurt over and over and over.

Someone, 'nice' comes along and they judge that. Can't be. Also, though they diss it, as what they were used to, makes it hard to accept something good.

We always want we we can't have. Yet, when we get something good, we tend to forget how to treat it respectfully.

Live is about lessons. We all grow from them.

Whether he comes back into your life later or not, is not relevant. What is, is that "someone" of good stance, liked you. You don't have to go backwards anymore. Like I said, learn to love yourself now, take this time to do so and move forward in a positive way, leaving the past behind.
0 Replies

xlemonyfreshx

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2012 06:23 am
@ForbiddenGarden,
http://i.qkme.me/3po5ha.jpg
0 Replies